HOME


The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised


Notes on Medford City Halls

The following notes are transcribed from a manuscript prepared by persons unknown and found in the files of the Southern Oregon Historical Society. Information may not be accurate. The pages of the ms. were out of order, so newspapers may be misidentified.

Information herein concentrates on city offices, the police and fire departments and construction of the city hall and a few private buildings in Medford.


    Original meeting of board of trustees; met at office of J. S. Howard, esq. (Recorder--R. T. Lawton)
Medford City Council Minutes, March 28, 1885, volume 1, page 2


    Meeting at office of Rufus North.
Medford City Council Minutes, April 1, 1885, volume 1, page 5


    Meet "at their hall on Front Street."
Medford City Council Minutes, April 30, 1885, volume 1, page 7


    Appoint committee "to secure suitable rooms for the occupancy of the Board of Trustees . . . and to furnish the same with suitable furniture and fixtures for the accommodation of said Board. Also to procure a place for a Lockup or Jail. . . ."
Medford City Council Minutes, April 30, 1885, volume 1, page 9


    Met at Recorder's office.
Medford City Council Minutes, April 22, 1885, volume 1, page 11


    H. Kinney paid money for rent.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 22, 1885, volume 1, page 18


    Corresponded with Kohler, manager of the O&C Railroad, to secure a lot for erection of town hall and jail.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 5, 1885, volume 1, pages 36-37


    Meeting at Recorder's office. Still paying Kinney rent, $8.00, for hall.
Medford City Council Minutes, November 2, 1885, volume 1, page 39


    Met at Walton's Hall. In volume 1 page 81, January 3, 1887, it's referred to as the office of Geo. S. Walton, Recorder, who was elected in January 1886.
    They continue to meet at the Recorder's office (i.e., Walton's office, since he stayed in office) through 1887. Then C. H. Barkdull was elected Recorder, page 100, January 12, 1888. Then it just says meetings are held at the "town hall" or "their own hall."
Medford City Council Minutes, December 6, 1886, volume 1, page 79


    Paid R. T. Lawton $8.00 for office rent.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 7, 1888, volume 1, page 119


    C. W. Skeel paid 2 months' rent, $18.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, June 9, 1888, volume 1, page 123


    A. H. Halley paid $25.00 for hall rent.
Medford City Council Minutes, June 6, 1889, volume 1, page 215


    A. H. Halley paid $25.00 for hall rent.
Medford City Council Minutes, January 6, 1890, volume 1, page 273


    Angle & Plymale paid $25.00 rent for February, March and April.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 5, 1890, volume 1, page 295


    Angle & Plymale paid $25.00 rent for May, June and July.
Medford City Council Minutes, August 4, 1890, volume 1, page 307


    Rent--Adkins & Webb $12.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, November 3, 1890, volume 1, page 313


    Rent--Angle & Plymale $12.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, September 7, 1891, volume 1, page 357


    Rent--Adkins & Webb $12.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, June 7, 1892, volume 1, page 401


    Rent--Adkins & Webb $12.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, August 1, 1892, volume 1, page 409


    Rent for hose house $12.00 to B. S. Webb.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 3, 1892, volume 1, page 419


    Adkins & Webb hall rent $10.50.
Medford City Council Minutes, November 7, 1892, volume 1, page 423


    B. S. Webb for one quarter's hose house rent $7.50.
Medford City Council Minutes, January 2, 1893, volume 1, page 432


    Adkins & Webb hall rent $10.50.
Medford City Council Minutes, February 6, 1893, volume 1, page 439


    Angle & Plymale hall rent $9.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, February 6, 1893, volume 1, page 439


    A proposition was received from Adkins & Webb offering the room now occupied as city hall or council room for the coming year for a rental of $42, payable quarterly. On motion the proposition was accepted.

"Council Proceedings,"
Medford Mail, February 10, 1893, page 2


    Angle & Plymale hall rent $9.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 1, 1893, volume 1, page 447


    Hose house rent $7.50--S. Childers.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 1, 1893, volume 1, page 448


    Adkins & Webb hall rent $10.50.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 1, 1893, volume 1, page 448


    Adkins & Webb hall rent $10.50.
Medford City Council Minutes, February 5, 1894, volume 1, page 484


    B. F. Adkins hall rent $10.50.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 1, 1894, volume 1, page 498


    Board accepts proposition of Mayor Haskins to rent his hall in the second story over his drug store for a one-year term at $42.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, August 7, 1894, volume 1, page 513


    B. F. Adkins hall rent $7.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, September 4, 1894, volume 1, page 514


    (First time) G. H. Haskins hall rent $10.50.
Medford City Council Minutes, November 6, 1894, volume 1, page 519


    Rent paid, $24 to G. H. Haskins, mayor, for hall rent and blank record book.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 6, 1896, volume 2, page 2


    Rent paid to G. H. Haskins, mayor, for hall rent for September, October, November and December, $20.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 6, 1896, volume 2, page 7


    H. L. Gilkey elected mayor.
Medford City Council Minutes, January 12, 1898, volume 2, page 58


    G. W. Priddy paid $10.25 for brick work on engine house.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 1, 1898, volume 2, page 66


    Art C. Nicholson submitted plans and specifications for city jail. Recorder instructed to advertise for bids, due April 15, 1898.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 19, 1898, volume 2, page 72


    B. F. Crouch bid $334.50, contract awarded. Building to be completed by May 10, 1898.
Medford City Council Minutes, April 5, 1898, volume 2, page 74


    Mayor resigned; Carl T. Jones to serve pro tem.
Medford City Council Minutes, April 22, 1898, volume 2, page 77


    Crouch paid $361.50 for work on jail.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 16, 1898, volume 2, page 82


    Nicholson paid $16.75 for work on jail.
Medford City Council Minutes, June 7, 1898, volume 2, page 83


    There is apparently one marshal, but on the next page and in other places a night watchman is also paid.
Medford City Council Minutes, August 16, 1898, volume 2, page 94


    Various people paid for "work on town well."
Medford City Council Minutes, September 6, 1898, volume 2, page 95


    Haskins still being paid rent for hall.
Medford City Council Minutes, April 4, 1899, volume 2, page 131


    Council agrees to "hire Haskins' Hall" for the next year at $15.00 per quarter.
Medford City Council Minutes, January 21, 1900, volume 2, page 172


    "On motion G. H. Haskins' hall was hired for one year, from Jan. 1, 1901, to Jan. 1, 1902, for the sum of $60."
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, February 8, 1901, page 7


    Still with Haskins.
Medford City Council Minutes, April 2, 1901, volume 2, page 243


    The city engineer's report was read and accepted. He reported that during the months of September and October seventy-four cords of wood had been consumed, a daily average of a little more than one and a fifth cords.

"Meeting of City Council," Medford Mail, November 15, 1901, page 6


    "The city council has purchased the vacant lot near the city bastille and it, together with part of the lot upon which stands the aforesaid house of detention, is being converted into a city pound. The lot was purchased from Palm & York, and the price paid was $200. An eight-foot closely woven, wire fence is being used to enclose the premises."
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, March 21, 1902, page 7


    Still with Haskins.
Medford City Council Minutes, April 5, 1904, volume 2, page 458


    Still with Haskins ($15.00 per quarter).
Medford City Council Minutes, April 4, 1905, volume 2, page 518


    "J. A. McIntosh, an architect and builder, has located permanently in Medford and about the first of the year he will open an architect's office here. He has been a resident of Ashland for a number of years and has followed that vocation there. He is a very fine young man to meet and as a builder and architect he has few superiors."
Medford Mail, December 8, 1905, page 5, column 5


    Decision made to move city office from present location in Haskins Building on 7th Street to Bradshaw Building on north side of 6th Street between C and D streets at agreed rental of $8.00 monthly with a 2-year lease.
Medford City Council Minutes, February 7, 1906, volume 2, page 573


    Furniture of city recorder's office and council chambers was moved to the new quarters on 6th Street between C and D streets.

Medford Mail, February 23, 1906, page 5, column 4


    D. T. Lawton had plans drawn by McIntosh for a residence to be built on North B Street just north of the Methodist Church, 32x42, two stories with 12 rooms, bathroom and closets. $2500.
Medford Mail, March 23, 1906, page 5, column 2


    Still with Haskins ($20.00 per quarter).
Medford City Council Minutes, April 3, 1906, volume 2, page 584


    First hall rent paid to Bradshaw.
Medford City Council Minutes, June 5, 1906, volume 2, page 601


    First appearance of ad: "J. A. McIntosh, Architect, Medford, Oregon." It wasn't in the June 1 edition; issues in between are missing.
Medford Mail, June 15, 1906, page 3, column 6


    J. A. McIntosh is in Ashland on business.
Medford Mail, June 22, 1906, page 4, column 4


    Mrs. McIntosh is visiting relatives in Ashland.
Medford Mail, June 22, 1906, page 5, column 5


    C. W. Palm has plans for a one-story brick building, 25x75 on 7th Street adjoining Weeks & Baker furniture building.
Medford Mail, June 22, 1906, page 5, column 3


    Nash hasn't given up plans to add another story to his hotel. Maybe this summer.
Medford Mail, June 25, 1906, page 4, column 3


    Mr. C. W. Palm plans to erect a one-story 25x75' brick on his property adjoining Weeks & Baker furniture store. Plans have been prepared by McIntosh.
Medford Mail, June 30, 1906, page 1, column 2


    Fire in west end. Fire department responded, but couldn't do anything because only water was neighboring pump.
Medford Mail, July 31, 1906, page 1, column 4


    Palm started construction of new brick building on 7th Street to be occupied by Winkler's second hand store. (same building?)
Medford Mail, October 24, 1906, page 1, column 4


    Hall rent--W. H. Bradshaw $24.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 7, 1907, volume 2, page 687


    A special election to be held on certain charter amendments--"Place of polling to be in the old city hall over Haskins' Drug Store."
Medford City Council Minutes, March 14, 1907, volume 3, page 5


    Two of our local architects, Palmer and Rinehart, are preparing plans and specifications for a city hall, which when completed will be submitted to the city council.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, April 19, 1907, page 8


    "The chemical engine recently purchased by the city was on dress parade yesterday for the first time. The boys are ready to try it out on the first occasion."
Medford Daily Tribune, June 25, 1907, page 6, column 2


    "After discussion of the plans for a fire barn and office rooms for the city officials, etc., was moved by Osenbrugge and seconded by Olwell that Mr. McIntosh be instructed to draw plans and specifications for the building."
Medford City Council Minutes, July 29, 1907, volume 3, page 17


    "Moved by Osenbrugge and seconded by Olwell that the plans presented by Mr. McIntosh for both a one-story and two-story hall be accepted and the recorder instructed to advertise for bids for the construction of both a concrete and brick building, advertisement to be published in two papers, and to receive bids up until 12 m. on Sept. 3d, 1907."
Medford City Council Minutes, August 14, 1907, volume 3, page 22


"Notice to Contractors
    "Sealed proposals for the erection and completion of a brick or concrete fire hall will be received at the office of the City Recorder of the city of Medford up to 12 a.m. of September 3, 1907.
    "Plans and specifications of the work can be seen at the office of J. A. McIntosh, architect, Medford, Oregon, on or after Aug. 20, 1907.
    "The bids shall be accompanied by a certified check for 5 percent of the amount of the proposal, and the successful bidder shall be required to give a surety bond for the faithful performance of the contract.
    "The council reserves the right to reject any or all bids.
    "By order of the city council, Medford, Oregon at a meeting held Aug. 14, 1907.
    "Benj. M. Collins, Recorder."
Medford Daily Tribune, August 27, 1907, page 4, column 3


    From general fund paid McIntosh $120 for architect services.
Medford City Council Minutes, September 3, 1907, volume 3, page 24


    "Moved by Hafer and seconded by Barkdull that the mayor appoint a committee of three to hold a conference with the architect of the plans for the proposed city hall to suggest possible changes if there be any. Motion carried and was so ordered and the mayor appointed on said committee Messrs. Hafer, Osenbrugge, Barkdull, and instructed them to report at the next meeting."
Medford City Council Minutes, September 10, 1907, volume 3, page 29


    "Bids for the proposed city hall were next discussed. Addresses were made by Messrs. Reinhart and Moyer, the two bidders. Moyer's bid substituted a stone foundation for a concrete one as demanded in the specifications. He stated that the change was made with the consent of the architect. Changing Moyer's bid to bring it on an equality with the specifications made it $7970.20 as compared with $7975 by Reinhart. Those bids were both for the two-story structure, and as the cost exceeded that contemplated by the council, both bids were referred to a special committee consisting of Osenbrugge, Hafer and Barkdull, who will go over them Thursday. The bids for a one-story hall were Moyer $6764.20, Reinhart $7150."
Medford Daily Tribune, September 11, 1907, page 2, column 2


    Pay J. A. McIntosh $60.00 for architect services. "Moved by Osenbrugge and seconded by Eifert that the plans for the new city hall and fire barn be accepted with the amended specifications and that the architect draw up an advertisement for bids on the same and advertise for bids for the construction and completion of the same until Oct. 10th, 1907. Motion carried and was so ordered."
Medford City Council Minutes, October 1, 1907, volume 3, page 31


    "The plans for the new two-story granite and pressed brick front city hall and fire station were accepted with the accepted specifications and bids will be advertised for until October 10, 1907." (Note: between 10/2 and 10/11 no ad for bids appears!)
Medford Daily Tribune, October 2, 1907, page 1, column 1


    "The bids for the city hall of J. L. Reinhart and A. S. Moyer were presented, opened and read.
    "The bid offered by A. S. Moyer being the lowest, it was moved by Hafer and seconded by Trowbridge that the contract for the construction and completion of the city hall and fire barn be awarded to Mr. A. S. Moyer for the sum of $8140.25, the amount specified in his bid submitted Oct. 10th, 1907. Said building to be built according to the plans and specifications as drawn by Mr. McIntosh, and accepted by the city council, and that Mr. Moyer be required to give a bond in the sum of $5000.00 to assure faithful performance and due diligence in the execution of the contract, and that the mayor and recorder are instructed to enter into contract to be drawn or approved by the architect. On roll call Osenbrugge, Trowbridge, Eifert and Hafer voted 'aye,' Olwell and Barkdull absent, motion carried and was so ordered."
Medford City Council Minutes, October 10, 1907, volume 3, page 35


    "Bids for the erection of the new city hall were opened, which revealed the bids of L. J. Reinhart and A. S. Moyer, the lowest bid being that of Mr. Moyer. It was accepted by the council, the bid being $8140.25 for the erection of a two-story brick building 25 feet in width by 100 feet in length, according to specifications drawn by architect McIntosh. Work on this building will be commenced at once, and when completed it will be one of the most substantial brick buildings in the city."
Medford Daily Tribune, October 11, 1907, page 1, column 2


    "G. W. Priddy & Co. have the brickwork on the new city hall building. Mr. Moyer is the contractor who was awarded the entire contract on the construction of the building, but the cement and brick work will be done by Mr. Priddy and his associates, they having placed a bid on the work to be included in the Moyer contract, and also put up a certified check with his bid. Mr. Priddy's bid on brick work and cement work complete is $4569.50."
Unidentified newspaper, October 15, 1907, page 1, column 2


    Moyer's $5000 bond approved.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 17, 1907, volume 3, page 37


    Medford to have a new Catholic Church soon.
Medford Mail, October 22, 1907, page 1, column 5


    "The city calaboose has been removed from its old place and is undergoing complete repairs, the occasion of the removal being to make room for the new city fire hall."
Medford Daily Tribune, November 1, 1907, page 4, column 2


    Will now begin to number houses in Medford. Will soon have street nameplates at each corner.
Medford Daily Tribune, November 11, 1907, page 1, column 3


    Pay McIntosh $46.32 for architect services.
Medford City Council Minutes, December 3, 1907, volume 3, page 39


    Pay A. S. Moyer $562.50 "construction of city hall.".
Medford City Council Minutes, December 3, 1907, volume 3, page 40


    Paid McIntosh $26.27 "architect commission."
    Oregon Granite Co. $25.00 "labor on fire hall."
    A. S. Moyer $500.00
                            200.00
                            200.00      "city hall contract"
                            100.00
                            997.75
                            630.00
    "Moved by Trowbridge and seconded by Eifert that the recommendations as presented by J. A. McIntosh, architect, for the proposed changes in the city hall and fire barn, be approved and referred to the building committee with full power to act on any or all proposed changes, wiring, etc.; on roll call, Osenbrugge, Trowbridge, Eifert and Barkdull voted 'aye,' motion carried and was so ordered (Hafer and Olwell absent)."
Medford City Council Minutes, January 7, 1908, volume 3, page 53


    Mayor Reddy's address: "The new city hall and fire house is nearing completion, and when completed will furnish the city with headquarters at a less expense than at present, as well as supplying suitable housing for our fire apparatus."
Unidentified newspaper, January 8, 1908, page 4, column 3


    "Moved by Eifert and seconded by Olwell that the City Recorder be instructed to insure the fire barn and city hall, now under construction, for the sum of $5000.00, insurance to be written in bond companies, and the insurance to be raised to $8000.00 as soon as the building is completed and said insurance to cover fixtures and apparatus therein: On roll call Osenbrugge, Trowbridge, Eifert, Barkdull and Olwell voted 'aye,' motion carried and was so ordered (Hafer absent)."
Medford City Council Minutes, January 21, 1908, volume 3, page 60


    $40,000 Catholic academy and lodging school to be built. Three-story structure. Plans drawn by McIntosh and approved by church. In addition, a residence costing $7000-$8000 for clergy and a large cathedral. Cathedral will be later, with temporary structure used for time being.
Medford Daily Tribune, January 23, 1908, page 1, column 1


    Jacksonville schoolhouse was planned "by Medford's brilliant young architect, John McIntosh."
Medford Daily Tribune, January 27, 1908, page 3, column 3


    McIntosh has completed plans for Catholic parsonage, to be built immediately. Is now drawing plans for Catholic school.
Medford Daily Tribune, January 29, 1908, page 3, column 5


    Bills allowed:
A. S. Moyer construction on city hall          $1900.00
Arthur S. Davis wiring of city hall                     158.10
Jos. Scott team and labor at fire barn                  50.00
J. A. McIntosh arch. fees                                      25.50
Medford City Council Minutes, February 4, 1908, volume 3, page 65


    "Moved by Merrick and seconded by Wortman that the bid of the Pauly Jail Building Co., of St. Louis, Mo., for the furnishing of the cells be accepted and the Recorder instructed to order the same at the price mentioned in their telegram of Feb. 8th, 1908 ($320.00). On roll call Trowbridge, Eifert, Merrick and Wortman voted 'aye'; Hafer and Olwell absent. Motion carried and was so ordered."
Medford City Council Minutes, February 11, 1908, volume 3, page 70


    Ground broken for Catholic school. Selling old church on North Front Street and will plan church to replace it.
Medford Daily Tribune, February 11, 1908, page 1, column 4


    "Mrs. A. L. Alford, E. N. Warner and W. I. Vawter, members of the Greater Medford Club, were present and requested permission of the council to use the council chamber of the new city hall for a reading room for the public library, at such time as said room is not in use by the council. After discussion it was moved by Merrick and seconded by Wortman that their request be granted; motion carried."
Medford City Council Minutes, February 25, 1908, volume 3, page 74


    Paying W. H. Bradshaw $32.00 for four months rent of a hall.
Pauly Jail Bldg. Co., jail cells                  $225.23
Jos. Scott, team and labor at fire barn          50.00
Medford City Council Minutes, March 3, 1908, volume 3, page 76


    New steel jail cells shipped out of St. Louis February 27.
Medford Daily Tribune, March 3, 1908, page 1, column 3


    Council will let bids for fire alarm system.
Medford Daily Tribune, March 17, 1908, page 1, column 4


A. S. Moyer payment on city hall            1099.85
Arthur Davis wiring city hall                      105.40
J. A. McIntosh arch. fees                              31.00
Medford City Council Minutes, April 7, 1908, volume 3, page 85


    Meeting held "at the new city hall."
Medford City Council Minutes, May 1, 1908, volume 3, page 96


    City held first meeting in new city hall.
Unidentified newspaper, May 2, 1908, page 1, column 2


Medford Furniture Co. council room fixtures      98.00
Medford Iron  Works labor jail cells                       9.00
Medford City Council Minutes, May 5, 1908, volume 3, page 98


G. L. Schermerhorn moving fire bell           25.00
Medford City Council Minutes, June 3, 1908, volume 3, page 108


    "Moved by Wortman and seconded by Eifert that the Building Committee be instructed to notify the contractor of the city hall, Moyer, to put a roof on said building that will not leak; motion carried."
Medford City Council Minutes, June 12, 1908, volume 3, page 116


    "Bill for matting for the stair steps in the city hall was presented; moved by Trowbridge and seconded by Olwell that the bill be disallowed. On roll call Olwell, Merrick, Trowbridge, Wortman, Eifert and Hafer voted 'no'; motion lost lost and bill ordered paid."
Weeks & McGowan city hall fixtures           61.30
W. H. Bradshaw April rent, old city hall        10.00
Medford City Council Minutes, July 7, 1908, volume 3, page 121


    "Moved by Eifert and seconded by Trowbridge that the Finance Committee be and are hereby empowered and instructed to pay contractor A. S. Moyer $500.00 more upon contract, upon receipt of all receipted and unpaid outstanding bills against the city hall, and that the Recorder be instructed by the Finance Com.; on roll call Olwell, Trowbridge, Wortman, Eifert and Hafer voted 'aye'; Merrick absent; motion carried and so ordered."
Medford City Council Minutes, August 5, 1908, volume 3, page 135


    Fire Chief Amann tendered resignation. Doesn't say why.
Medford Daily Tribune, August 5, 1908, page 1, column 5


    Fire Committee will ask city for $4000 to buy equipment for four substations, each with 40-gallon chemical wagon, hose cart, etc. Amann was re-elected chief.
Medford Daily Tribune, August 6, 1908, page 1, column 7


    List of buildings built in Medford in last quarter, ending June 30 includes Bert Anderson residence on West 7th and Catholic parish building, Catholic school building.
Medford Daily Tribune, August 6, 1908, page 3, column 1


    Fire equipment received--3 chemical wagons, 1500 feet of 2½" hose. Not the wagons ordered, but are loaners to be used until the kind ordered are available. Will have three substations: one near West School, one near Bear Creek bridge, and one near North School.
Medford Daily Tribune, August 6, 1908, page 3, column 1


    "Moved by Hafer and seconded by Eifert that the Recorder be instructed to purchase the fire equipment requested by the fire company, as per their petition and request as revised." Passed.
    "Moved by Wortman and seconded by Eifert that the driver of the chemical engine be paid a salary of $60 per month and that he have the care of the city hall." Passed.
Medford City Council Minutes, August 7, 1908, volume 3, page 136


    St. Mary's Academy will soon open.
Medford Daily Tribune, August 25, 1908, page 3, column 1


H. E. Boyden spittoons             8.00
Janitor hired for city at a salary of $10 a month
Medford City Council Minutes, September 1, 1908, volume 3, page 144


    Police chief requests increase in force. Made 15 arrests in August. Nine fines imposed=$37.
Medford Daily Tribune, September 2, 1908, page 1, column 3


    Catholic school recently opened, very successful.
Medford Daily Tribune, September 22, 1908, page 1, column 7


    Catholic church under construction.
Medford Daily Tribune, September 23, 1908, page 1, column 1


    "Moved by Wortman and seconded by Hafer that the Building Committee be instructed to have a new roof put on the city hall." Passed.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 15, 1908, volume 3, page 158


    "Communication of A. S. Moyer, contractor and builder of the city hall, relative to the roof of said building was presented and read and referred to the city attorney by the acting mayor."
Medford City Council Minutes, November 5, 1908, volume 3, page 167


    Public library open Wednesday and Friday 2:30-5:30 and Saturday evenings. Has 490 readers.
Medford Daily Tribune, December 1, 1908, page 4, column 1


    "The written opinion of the city attorney, N. Withington, relative to the roof of the city hall was presented and read and referred to the Building Committee."
Medford City Council Minutes, December 1, 1908, volume 3, page 173


    Librarian's report for November--Library opened August 5. 2743 books lent since then, 807 in November. Loaned for two weeks and can be renewed two weeks. Five cents per day if late. Number of patrons 510.
Medford Daily Tribune, December 8, 1908, page 1, column 4


Chas. Roberts labor at fire barn                60.00
A. G. Long balance on hose cart               12.99
K. Mukiade janitor city hall                       10.00
J. A. McIntosh arch. fees                           10.00
A. S. Moyer final payment on city hall   209.65
    "Moved by Eifert and seconded by Hafer that the chief of the fire department be instructed to purchase two lamps for the chemical engine and a chain for the doors." Passed.
Medford City Council Minutes, January 5, 1909, volume 3, page 185


    Address of Mayor Reddy: "In addition to a well-equipped city hall and fire engine house, the city is supplied with substations in various parts of the town, equipped with small but efficient chemical engines, which are supplemented by hose wagons. The central fire station is equipped with a first-class combination chemical engine, a good team of horses, hose and other equipment, and comfortable quarters for the men on duty at the engine house."
Unidentified newspaper, January 20, 1909, page 1, column 3


    "No longer need the fire laddies be exposed to the chilling drenches of a misguided hose when they attend to little matters like putting out an occasional blaze. No longer need they dope up on bromoquinine immediately upon their return from responding to an alarm in order to keep the grip from their systems. The old days are past, and the boys are equipped with rubber boots, trousers, slickers and hats. They can take the full force of a stream and never feel it, for their suits are adequate to all of the requirements imposed by the arduous task of fighting fire.
    "With the proceeds of the dance given by the boys on New Year's Eve, six complete suits have been purchased and are now on the job. Those who respond [to a fire] early enough will get a coat, and those who have them need fear no water. The boots and trousers are combined, fastening at the waist with a snap so that only a second is required to put them on. Then with the coat buckled on nothing need be feared.
    "The three new chemical wagons ordered by the city council have arrived and will be placed on the various substations in the city immediately so that the city is better prepared to fight fire at the present time than ever before."
    Charles Roberts was driver of fire team for several months. Retired, to be replaced by Charles Stowe, driver from Portland. He has increased the efficiency of the department by removing the old spindle in bed of the wagon and putting a basket underneath to carry the hose for the chemical batteries, which makes it possible to get hose out faster. "Stowe has already won the affection of the fire team, both of them following him like a dog, and will heed his slightest word. He can get out of the station in exactly 11 seconds from the time the gong taps until the hind wheels clear the station door."
    One problem--people hitching horse teams to the fireplugs. Also want alarm boxes put up around town.
Medford Daily Tribune, January 22, 1909, page 1, column 1


    "Communication of W. E. Johnson asking for a lease of the vacant lot south of the city hall was referred to the Building Committee by the mayor."
Medford City Council Minutes, February 16, 1909, volume 3, page 198


    Wes Green's new bungalow on Orange Street burned down. Nearby residence of Bert Anderson also caught fire, but put out.
Medford Daily Tribune, July 15, 1909, page 8, column 2


    Fire in building on Front Street "afforded the first chance the fire boys have had to try out the new pressure on the water mains from the gravity system." No problem.
Medford Daily Tribune, August 2, 1909, page 1, column 6


    To pave part of West Main, making a total of 2¼ miles of paved roads in Medford.
Medford Daily Tribune, August 6, 1909, page 1, column 6


    Five years ago there was only one auto in Medford. Now there are over 200, "more than any community of similar size on earth."
Medford Daily Tribune, August 7, 1909, page 4, column 1


    Bids for cement sidewalk, north side of city hall, were opened. Referred to Street and Road Committee.
Medford City Council Minutes, September 27, 1909, volume 3, page 294


    Emerick appointed as a committee of one to buy a fire team.
Medford City Council Minutes, November 16, 1909, volume 3, page 326


    City council meeting, councilman Emerick appointed to buy a new fire team.
Medford Mail Tribune, November 17, 1909, page 1, column 1


    Finance Committee instructed by the mayor "to attend to the matter of repairing the roof of the city hall."
Medford City Council Minutes, November 30, 1909, volume 3, page 329


    At present, City Recorder acts as police judge.
Medford Mail Tribune, December 10, 1909, page 1, column 1


"J. A. McIntosh
    "Medford must be reckoned among the progressive cities of the Pacific Northwest, and its architecture both in public buildings and private homes is noticeably striking and remarkably effective. A large number of the buildings and residences are the creation of Mr. J. A. McIntosh, one of the leading architects on the Coast, whose office is in the Medford National Bank Building. The city fire hall is his work, the Catholic Church and school, the annex to the Nash Hotel (four stories) and many others, these few being merely mentioned as illustrating the skill and capacity of Mr. McIntosh." (For a picture of the Catholic school see Medford Mail Tribune, August 8, 1910, page 6)
Medford Mail Tribune, January 2, 1910, page 4, column 7


Chas. Roberts driver fire team     36.78
W. E. Boren driver fire team        23.22
Medford City Council Minutes, January 4, 1910, volume 3, page 341


    "Mayor Canon today assumed his duties as police judge, but the docket was blank."
Medford Mail Tribune, January 17, 1910, page 1, column 3


    Prisoner in jail fell asleep smoking, fire started. "The fire boys overhead were aroused by the commotion, and the burning mattress was dropped out."
Medford Mail Tribune, February 8, 1910, page 1, column 2


    Eugene Amann, fire chief, says fire bell "cannot be distinctly heard" due to trains. Wants compressed air whistle and 1000 feet of new hose. Statistics from annual report: Number of alarms turned in 21. Total loss by fire $12,000, $10,000 insured. Number of men answering alarms 430. Residential fires 8, school fires 1, grass fires 3, false alarms 4, woodsheds 1, dye works 1, restaurants 1, telephone office 1, drug store 1. Total cost for maintaining the department $1970. 2500 feet of 2½" hose on hand and 500' chemical hose.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 15, 1910, page 1, column 2


    "The city council is considering the advisability of remodeling the city hall by building an addition on the vacant lot adjoining the present building and adding a third floor. No definite plan has been decided upon, but it is being favorably considered.
    "Such an addition would give room for the other city offices. The city engineer needs offices, as do the mayor and treasurer. Aside from this, the city would probably have a ground floor front which it could rent."
Medford Mail Tribune, February 18, 1910, page 1, column 4


"Planning to Remodel the City Hall
    "The city council is considering the advisability of remodeling the city hall by building an addition on the vacant lot adjoining the present building and adding a third floor. No definite plan has been decided upon, but it is being favorably considered.
    "Such an addition would give room for the other city offices. The city engineer needs offices, as do the mayor and treasurer. Aside from this, the city would probably have a ground floor front which it could rent.
    "The council will meet this evening in special session. . . ."
    (That meeting, actually held March 9, 1910, was reported March 10, 1910, page 3, column 1, and no mention of these improvements.)
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, February 24, 1910, page 8, column 2


    City council employed fourth policeman and raised salaries to $75 a month, except $80 for chief, apparently because the "night men" tendered resignations due to so much work. "It will not be a great while before a central police station will have to be established for the ample protection of the city."
Medford Mail Tribune, April 7, 1910, page 8, column 2


    Cuthbert & Co. granted consent of city to build a tent on the northeast corner of Sixth and Central as a temporary store building. Then other applications for similar buildings were submitted. The "fire companies" called a meeting. Fire department ordinance says chief has jurisdiction over erection of temporary structures. All voted to resign if the city didn't withdraw consent. Chief Amann says, "There are two paid members of the department, the rest of us are working for fun, and we don't want a firetrap in the center of the city."
Medford Mail Tribune, April 22, 1910, page 1, column 4


    Cuthbert agrees to remove tent. "Councilman Eifert thought the firemen were not showing a spirit of fairness, but admitted that the action of the council was not legal."
Medford Mail Tribune, April 24, 1910, page 1, column 5


    Cuthbert denies voluntary compliance. Was told heavy fine by Mayor if refused to comply.
Medford Mail Tribune, April 25, 1910, page 2, column 1


    J. J. Brophy, night policeman for several months, resigned, succeeded by Harry Cingcade.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 2, 1910, page 2, column 4


    Medford Commercial Club accepts the city's offer to use the council rooms for meetings.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 19, 1910, page 1, column 7


City Officers:
City Hall--44 N. Front
Mayor--W. H. Canon
Recorder--R. W. Telfer
Treasurer--L. L. Jacobs
City Attorney--Porter J. Neff
Chief of Police--H. G. Shearer
Superintendent of Light and Water--M. M. Gault
Street Commissioner--W. P. Baker
City Engineer--H. E. Foster
Chief of Fire Department--E. Amann
Councilmen--Alexis E. Welch, Verne J. Emerick, Harry G. Wortman, Wm. W. Eifert, John L. Demmer, F. E. Merrick
Police Department:
Chief--H. G. Shearer
Night Watchman--C. F. Murdock
Fire Department:
Chief--Eugene Amann
Assistant Chief--J. H. Butler
Foreman--H. D. Ling
Assistant Foreman--W. Rothermel
Drivers--C. S. Roberts and H. C. Young
Board of Education:
Directors--J. H. Cochran, Chairman; J. E. Watt, L. G. Porter, H. C. Kentner, G. H. Marshall
Clerk--Orris Crawford
Superintendent of City Schools--Ulysses G. Smith
1910 Polk's Directory of Jackson, Josephine and Douglas Counties, page 99


    Editorial: "Uniform the police. Medford's policemen should be uniformed. By uniformed it is not meant that any old blue suit with any old kind of a hat, but a regulation suit with brass buttons and a' that, together with a helmet and the other little things which make known a policeman as far as the eye can distinguish form.
    "Medford is taking on metropolitan airs rapidly. A stranger remarks on this point often on his arrival. But let one meet one of the members of the police force and he is suddenly disillusioned. A vision of ye little country crossroads village flashes across his mind.
    "Medford is continually filled with strangers, who naturally seek information. Instinct bids them turn to a policeman, but none can be found--you try and pick one of the force out of a crowd and see how far you get.
    "By all means let the police force be uniformed. Let Medford cease to boast of her metropolitan airs until it is done."
Medford Mail Tribune, June 22, 1910, page 4, column 2


    Another article on uniforms. Mayor Canon favors idea: "It is simply a question of who is going to pay for the clothes." Chief Shearer thinks it's "all right in a way . . . but I do not favor it." Policeman Cingcade says, "We must buy clothes, and if the uniform is necessary, it might as well be that as something else."
Medford Mail Tribune, June 23, 1910, page 1, column 3


    Mayor holds early morning police court so they can get rid of prisoners without having to feed them. $850 in fines collected in last five months.
Medford Mail Tribune, June 30, 1910, page 3, column 3


    Water line from Little Butte Creek just below Fish Lake opened.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 28, 1910, page 6, column 4


    "The city has purchased a new fire team of W. H. Venable of Applegate, paying $675. The team is well fitted for the work, weighing 3075 pounds. Skinny and Rastus, the present fire team, were judged too light for the work. They will be put at work on the water wagon, and neither telephone nor gong shall disturb their slumbers henceforth."
Medford Mail Tribune, August 14, 1910, page 8, column 1


    Editorial: Medford, the Auto City. One car for every 25 man, woman and child. More than any other place in the world.
Medford Mail Tribune, August 19, 1910, page 4, column 2


    Water tower to be torn down. City to retain the tanks and iron. The rest goes to the workers, along with $50.
Medford Mail Tribune, August 22, 1910, page 6, column 4


    Prisoner turned the water on in his cell and flooded the jail. Had to cut off all water from city hall to keep him from flooding that part of the city.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 2, 1910, page 4, column 2


    Number of phones passes 1000 mark. 1015 in operation in Medford.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 4, 1910, page 1, column 5


    J. A. McIntosh is architect of the Rogue River Valley Electric building on West Main Street. Three floors. First floor is now occupied by the company that owns it. Second and third floors are being divided into 30 offices with a roof garden. Restaurant in basement.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 4, 1910, page 9, column 3


    Mr. Demmer instructed to have new roofing put on city hall.
Medford City Council Minutes, September 9, 1910, volume 3, page 484


    Fire chief reissues warning regarding people running out into the streets when the fire alarm is sounded.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 18, 1910, page 1, column 4


    The water tower is gone. Useless lumber was burned; fire is still smoldering.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 28, 1910, page 2, column 1


    The Commercial Club moves its meetings to the new Natatorium building.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 19, 1910, page 1, column 5


    "Tom and Jerry" are the new fire team. Have been in training for about six weeks. Training drill involves coming under the harness at the clang of the gong and then going back to their stalls. During training a real alarm came in. They were going back to their stalls at the time, but both turned and "were under the harness in an instant." They hadn't been taught that yet. "Tom and Jerry are now the heroes of the fire house."
Medford Mail Tribune, November 10, 1910, page 3, column 1


    Monthly meeting of the fire department. Discussed plan to get autos and get rid of the horses. Age of eligibility was 21-35; changed to 18-30 unanimously. Equipment is heavy and they should use four horses, but they only have two. Costs $20 a month, and an auto would cost only $5. Plan to have life-size portrait made of Warren E. Bodge, who died in discharge of duty.
Medford Mail Tribune, December 8, 1910, page 1, column 2


    J. W. Lawton is the new fire team driver.
Medford Mail Tribune, December 11, 1910, section 3, page 1, column 2


    Ninety-eight buildings are being built within eight blocks of Front and Main.
Medford Mail Tribune, December 19, 1910, page 1, column 2


    First Catholic Church building was at the corner of Front and Third. Two years ago the present church and priest's house were built. St. Mary's Academy is on the corner of Holly and Twelfth.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 1, 1911, page 3, column 3


    Fire loss report for 1910: Thirty-eight alarms, 15,000' hose laid, $1400 fire loss ($1000 insured), 604 men answering alarms. Six residence fires, 9 grass fires, 44 false alarms, 3 in woodsheds, 2 in restaurants, 6 flue fires, 4 barn fires, 3 store fires, 1 garage fire. Salaries $1475. Keeping team $1417.72. Purchase of team $675. Trip expense for chief $55.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 4, 1911, page 1, column 5


    Editorial: We need uniformed police.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 13, 1911, page 4, column 2


    There are four policemen: Harry Snider, Harry Cingcade, W. B. Hall and Frank Orr. Orr was a special officer with a temporary appointment. Dismissed when Snider found him drunk in the back room of the Bass & Hale Saloon. Cingcade is on day force. Article in column 4 says Chief of Police H. G. Shearer retired, but a petition is circulating now to get him his job back. Says he also is a heavy drinker.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 3, 1911, page 5, column 3


    Fire department to request $15,000 in bonds for improvements: They want combination hose and chemical auto $5000, hook and ladder truck $7000, compressed air whistle $200, and 20-box fire alarm system $2000.
    ". . . we have out of our pockets or by entertainments by ourselves invested between $1100 and $1200 in the apparatus ourselves. This in itself amounts to a great deal more than we have ever realized from our work, to say nothing of the time we have spent or the clothes we have ruined." Says the bell is inaudible; can't get hose into third story of buildings, so they need a hook and ladder.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 5, 1911, page 1, column 7


    Firemen's requests approved with exception of the 20-box system.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 9, 1911, page 3, column 4


    New police chief is Hittson.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 3, 1911, page 3, column 2


    The fire department meets to decide what to buy.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 14, 1911, page 1, column 2


    Only made $25 in February in police court, and nothing so far for March.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 15, 1911, page 1, column 6


    Information already assembled for Polk directory. Will be printed soon.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 19, 1911, page 8


    City Recorder's office installs fireproof safe cabinet of asbestos for city's papers.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 22, 1911, page 3, column 3


COPS MAKE HIT IN NEW UNIFORMS
Medford Police on Dress Parade--Helmets and Blue Suits
Create Mild Sensation with Kids and Fair Sex.
    The Medford policemen have received their new uniforms, and night officers Hall and Cingcade were the first to dress in the new suits.
    They were driven around town on dress parade.
    "Gee, ain't they great," said a small boy. "Wish I was a policeman."
    "Pipe de lid," said another.
    "Hully gee, fellers, who's the smoke?"
    But the girls. They walked by them, then had another errand downtown. They moved past several times. And the comments.
    "Ain't they just too sweet for anything?"

Medford Mail Tribune, March 26, 1911, page 3


    Fire machine recommended is an 80-hp automobile weighing 11,000 pounds loaded. A "combination hook and ladder, chemical hose wagon" with 1800' hose. 45', 25', 18', 16' and two 12' ladders. Engine is air cooled. $6900 f.o.b. Medford. By Seagrave Fire Automobile Co. of Columbus, Ohio.
Medford Mail Tribune, April 5, 1911, page 4, column 1


    Councilmen Merrick and Emerick were in Portland and North Yakima inspecting fire equipment. They looked at American LaFrance and a Webb. Earlier they looked at a Pope-Hartford in San Bernardino.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 15, 1911, page 4, column 3


    Seriously considering the American LaFrance: 4-cylinder 70-hp engine, 140" wheelbase, set of ladders, 40-gallon chemical tank, room for 1400' of 2½" hose. Chemical tank is located under the driver's seat. $5500.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 18, 1911, page 8, column 5


    New three-city directory gives Medford a population of 11,625, taking total number of names listed (4250) and multiplying by 2.5. Census taken April 1910 said 8840, but it says 10,000 was passed last fall.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 29, 1911, page 1, column 1


    City has 8½ miles asphalt paved streets, 18 miles of cement sidewalks, 15 miles sewers, 13 miles iron water mains, all constructed during the last two years at a cost of #975,000. Twelve additional miles paved streets to be laid in 1911. 460 residences built in 1910. Also natatorium, passenger depot, Hotel Medford, Sisters of Providence Hospital, federal building, Carnegie library and two public school buildings all being planned or built.
Polk's Jackson County Directory 1911, page 30



    Sleeping quarters for firemen remodeled to double capacity. A partition is being built, so two sleeping rooms can hold eight bunks instead of only four.
Medford Mail Tribune, June 4, 1911, section 2, page 2, column 4


    A petition was filed with the city council asking that Fire Chief Amann be paid a salary. So far he only collects the same amount as other members of the department, i.e., $1 for each call responded to. Referred to Finance Committee.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 26, 1911, page 6, column 1


    The city purchased the Pope-Hartford 55-hp chemical truck for $5250 through Valley Auto Company. Will carry ten men and 1400 feet of hose. Can go 30 mph. Team-drawn apparatus will be held in reserve. Present chemical wagon to be sold, later replaced by hook and ladder truck.
Medford Mail Tribune, August 10, 1911, page 6, column 5


    J. A. McIntosh indicted by grand jury Tuesday for failing to support wife and children. Entered guilty plea Wednesday. He has paid $20, and court has his order for $300 due for services on the library, which will probably be used to support the family. Charged that he neglected them until almost destitute.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 6, 1911, page 2, column 3


    Judge Calkins orders payment of $15 per week for support. Court suspended sentence one year to permit McIntosh to keep working.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 7, 1911, page 5, column 2


    City to buy a Pope-Hartford auto fire wagon.
Medford City Council Minutes, September 9, 1911, volume 4, page 172


    Chemical truck not in yet. Probably late December.
Medford Mail Tribune, December 6, 1911, page 2, column 3


"City Wants City Hall Enlarged
    "The Medford Commercial Club at a meeting Wednesday evening adopted resolutions commending the recommendation of Mayor W. H. Canon in his annual report that the city hall be enlarged in the near future, by building on the vacant lot next to the present structure. In the opinion of the club members the movement is feasible and entirely practical."
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, January 11, 1912, page 2, column 3


    New telephone directory is out.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 19, 1912, page 2


"Architect Is Drawing Plans for City Hall
    "Mayor Canon has instructed architect F. C. Clark to start work at once preparing plans for an addition to the city hall. Mr. Clark will also prepare plans for a building to be erected on South Riverside to be occupied by a public market.
    "Mayor Canon stated today that in all probability the addition to the present city hall would cost between $8,000 and $10,000. It is planned to build on the vacant lot next to the present structure. The great increase in city business makes such an addition necessary.
    "The city plans to increase the size of the city jail by placing at least four more steel cages therein."
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, January 25, 1912, page 2, column 6


    "Plans for the city hall and public market was referred to the finance and building committees."
Medford City Council Minutes, February 6, 1912, volume 4, page 251


    Fire loss records 1911: $18,363.50, insured $15,683.55. Fifty-one alarms, 853 men responding, 9 in houses, 9 in stores, 7 flues, 12 grass, 1 laundry, 2 hotels, 2 restaurants, 2 barns, 7 "still alarms." Salaries of two men $1800.00. Services at fires $1139.00. Other expenses $1727.26. Hose $960. Total $5626.26. Present equipment: 2800' 2½" hose, 500' chemical hose, 3 hand chemicals, 2 hose carts, 1 chemical and combination wagon, 2 horses. Used 400 gallons of chemical and laid 17,950' hose.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 8, 1912, page 6, column 3


    Auto chemical and hose engine in Portland Friday, en route to Medford. Mounted on 1912 wagon chassis, largest pneumatic tires in Northwest, 40x6. 50-hp, maximum speed 45 mph. 50-gallon chemical tank, 2 hand extinguishers, 1000' 2½" hose, 250' 1" hose, weighs 5000 lbs.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 10, 1912, page 2, column 1


    Fire auto car arrived Monday. "A beauty to look upon." Has automatic headlamp lighter.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 12, 1912, page 3, column 5


    First auto chemical and hose car arrived, to be kept in the central engine house. Horse-drawn rig will be kept in case of emergency but will be removed from central engine house.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, February 15, 1912, page 3, column 2


    Issue of having six-man paid fire department to be decided. "The councilmen are said to be in favor of the movement, inasmuch as the new fire wagon gets away from the fire hall so rapidly as to make it almost impossible for the fire boys to board it after it starts, as was the custom with the team-drawn chemical."
Medford Mail Tribune, February 20, 1912, page 6, column 4


    City council meeting next session to consider plans for public market. "The plans for the addition to the present city hall will also be considered at the next session of the council."
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, February 29, 1912, page 6, column 1


    Paid fire department authorized. Six men, a chief, assistant chief and four firemen at $85, $75 and $60. Firemen want more money: $100, $80 and $70.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 6, 1912, page 7, column 1


    "New City Hall proposition discussed and reported by the finance committee as inadvisable at present."
Medford City Council Minutes, March 12, 1912, volume 4, page 260


    Firemen will disband unless requested salaries are allowed.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 19, 1912, page 4, column 1


    No decision made at city council regarding wages, but firemen agree not to quit yet.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 20, 1912, page 2, column 1


    Chief Amann, assistant chief Harry Ling will stay on. W. J. Lawton resigned as driver. Frank Lindsey, Charles Boussum, Victor Danielson and Con Cady are the firemen. They accept the city's wage schedule, but will get a raise in six months, $5.00 and another $5.00 at the end of one year. Amann is also building inspector, so he will get $100 a month. Others will be hired soon.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 21, 1912, page 3, column 1


    Election pending to decide if a municipal court should be started. Creates new office just for judge instead of having mayor do it all. Last year, the "city court" (which the new municipal court would replace) collected $1101. "Nearly all of the cases were plain drunks." Says if judge is needed the council should appoint one and not have an election.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 4, 1912, page 4, column 2


    Frank C. Clark paid from general fund $92.35 for drawing plans for City Hall and City Market.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 7, 1912, volume 4, page 278


    Now compiling data for 1912 Polk's directory.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 8, 1912, page 3, column 2


Police Department:
Chief--J. F. Hittson
Patrolmen--Harry L. Cingcade, Wm. Crawford, C. Hellem, Hector Cady
Fire Department:
Chief--Eugene Amann
Assistant Chief--H. D. Ling
Second Assistant Chief--Harry Butler
Foreman--Jack Dent
Hosemen--Con Cady, Charles Boussum, Victor Danielson
Driver--Frank Lindley
1912 Polk's Directory, page 23


    1910 Census 8842, gain of 393½% in 10 years. Only places in U.S. that exceeded this growth were Oklahoma City and Muskogee, Oklahoma. 1912 estimated population 10,500.
    Eighteen miles of asphalt paved streets, 32 miles cement sidewalks, 26 miles sewers, 27 miles iron water mains, all built in the last two years at cost of $1,700,000.
    Twenty business blocks and 602 homes built in 1911. Hotels Holland and Medford opened October 1911. Sisters of Providence Hospital recently completed. Roosevelt and Jackson schools built.
    Pacific Coast states record for number of telephones per capita and national record for autos. Two daily papers.
1912 Polk's Directory, pages 21-23


    First escape from jail. William R. Archer, wanted in San Francisco for passing bad checks, was arrested here. A friend passed a heavy piece of iron to him through the window. He used it to break off the lock and escaped.
Medford Mail Tribune, June 24, 1912, page 2, column 4


    The old fire wagon has been converted to a "three-line nozzler." A huge nozzle was mounted on the rear, to which three hoses can be attached. Will tear down a brick wall at close range and shoot water to the top of any building in town.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 11, 1912, page 4, column 4


    The fire bell rings three times for fire. Residents are supposed to turn off water used to irrigate to build up pressure, but they don't always hear the bell. Want new system.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 11, 1912, page 4, column 5


    "PETITION to remodel building by putting in a permanent front at No. 16 North Front Street, together with the necessary inside partitions for store rooms, was presented and read; it was moved by Emerick and seconded by Millar that the petition be granted, motion carried and so ordered."
Medford City Council Minutes, July 16, 1912, volume 4, page 316


    Medford Fire Department's new officers: President Jack Dent, Vice President E.  E. Eads, Secretary Con Cady, Assistant Secretary J. W. Lawton, Treasurer Basil Gregory, Sergeant-at-Arms Jack Fredenburg. Trustees: Horace Roberts, Frank Lindley and J. W. Lawton. Foreman Jack Dent, Assistant Foreman P. C. Bingham, Chief Eugene Amann.
Medford Mail, August 9, 1912, page 2, column 5


    "APPLICATION of J. L. Helms for building permit on ground next to City Hall, having a party wall city city building, was made. The application was referred to the Building and Fire Committee to report at next meeting." (no such report made)
Medford City Council Minutes, January 21, 1913, volume 4, page 364


    Approved for city purchase of "old 40-horsepower Oldsmobile from W. I. Vawter for $225.00 to be fixed up by the fire boys and used as an auxiliary fire truck."
Medford City Council Minutes, October 20, 1914, volume 5, page 21


    "The city council recently saved $8.75 a year, by compelling city firemen to buy their own soap and towels, then purchased Bill Ulrich's cash register for $1.50, and refused to buy needed tools for the water department, last night at its regular session authorized the purchase of an auto costing $250 from W. I. Vawter for auxiliary use by the fire department, Councilman Porter voting against it. The chief reason for the purchase are saving wear and tear on the big truck, doing away with a team of horses and giving the city better fire protection. The purchase was something of a surprise."
Medford Mail Tribune, October 21, 1914, page 2, column 4


    Last year brought to Medford few changes in its municipal organization, the official changes being the retirement of Water Superintendent George Tranna and Fire Chief Eugene Amy. An auxiliary fire truck was added to the fire protection facilities. There were two fires during the year in the business district, one in the Blaine Klum paint shop, and the other in the attic of the Diamond lodging house, both of North Central Avenue. The fire calls during the year totaled 186, a large percentage of which were for grass fires in the summer months.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 1, 1915, page 4


    Chief Lawler given consent to have telephone connections made with eight volunteer firemen so central could ring them when alarm is given.
Medford City Council Minutes, February 16, 1915, volume 5, page 45


    Lawler's salary raised $5 a month to $85. City hall insured for $4000. Auto fire truck to be insured for $3000.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 2, 1915, volume 5, page 48


    Decided not to insure fire truck.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 16, 1915, volume 5, page 51


    "It was moved by Medynski and seconded by Mann that a committee of three be appointed to take up the matter of devising ways and means for the construction of a new city hall; motion carried and so ordered; thereupon the mayor appointed Medynski, Miles and Amy on this committee."
Medford City Council Minutes, April 6, 1915, volume 5, page 54


    "The matter of city hall addition was reported on by special committee previously appointed. General plans were submitted. The matter was referred to committee of the whole."
Medford City Council Minutes, June 1, 1915, volume 5, page 65


    Special session called for "purpose of considering the question of a new city hall or an addition to the present one."
    "It was moved by Mann and seconded by Medynski that we build an addition to the city hall at a cost not to exceed $8500." Motion carried. Amy and Miles voted no.
    The motion instructed architect Clark to prepare detailed working plans and specifications, but not to receive more than $150 if not built and not to be more than five percent of the cost of construction if built. Then tabled by motion of Amy, seconded by Hargrave until next election, to be put to voters.
Medford City Council Minutes, June 3, 1915, volume 5, page 65


    "In planning the enlargement of the city hall, the council is fulfilling a long-felt want. Public necessity demands better facilities for conducting the public business, and the imperative need of additional office room is apparent to everyone familiar with the situation."
    When the present city hall was built, Medford had 2500 population, no paved streets, an inadequate water system.
Unidentified newspaper, June 14, 1915, page 4, column 2


    Results of vote on January 11 regarding a charter amendment to authority the city to borrow and build an addition to the city hall.
                   1st Ward            2nd Ward             3rd Ward               Total
Yes                  93                     80                     75                   248
No                 402                   370                   318                 1090
                      495                   450                   393                 1338
Medford City Council Minutes, January 17, 1916, volume 5, page 108


    "The fire chief asked that the city buy a couple of lights to illuminate the sign on the city hall. The mayor said the electrical inspector would see to this."
Medford City Council Minutes, June 6, 1916, volume 5, page 135


    "It was moved by Mann and seconded by Keene that the fire chief put in a door at the foot of the stair entrance to city hall; motion carried and so ordered."
Medford City Council Minutes, October 9, 1916, volume 5, page 155


    Electric illuminator purchased for in front of city hall. $17.40 to Paul's Electric Store.
Medford City Council Minutes, November 8, 1916, volume 5, page 160


    Gaddis reported sale of the big fire team known as "Tom" and "Jerry" to Charles Magerle of Rogue River for $400 cash. Approved.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 20, 1916, volume 5, page 192


    Committee appointed to investigate purchase of second-hand Thomas car for $250 to take the place of the team just sold.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 20, 1916, volume 5, page 193


    "After having been in the service of the city for the past seven years, the team of big bays used to haul the reserve fire truck were delivered this morning to C. F. Magerle of Rogue River, to whom they were sold last week for $400. The team will be replaced with a light truck on which the body from the old horse-drawn truck will probably be mounted. As the selling of the team leaves the city without reserve equipment, it is probable that the matter of securing a truck will be decided at the council meeting tonight."
Medford Mail Tribune, March 20, 1917, page 3, column 4


    Mrs. Ida Stewart second-hand car        $225.00
Medford City Council Minutes, April 3, 1917


    Firemen have a pet blooded brown bulldog, Gertie, one year old.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, November 8, 1917, page 8, column 5


    Assistant fire chief N. H. Mark, member of the department for the last three years, resigned to go to San Francisco to work for the government as a machinist. Roy Elliott, also a member for three years, resigned to enlist in Army aviation. James Dooley, member for a few weeks, quit to take a railroad job in Roseburg. Harold McDonald resigned a few weeks ago. Jack Fredenburg resigned several months ago. Last summer the firemen wanted a raise from the $70 a month they receive and council refused. The department has six members. Now only Chief Lawton and two old men are left. E. P. Clairy and William Lee will replace Elliott and Dooley.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, November 22, 1917, page 6, column 4


    Firemen's pay raised $5 a month effective April 1.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, February 21, 1918, page 5, column 6


    When news of the end of WWI came, the fire whistle went off, then the fire bell. The fire truck drove around with its gong ringing.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, November 14, 1918, page 7, column 7


    "City hall and lots" valued at $18,000.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, March 13, 1919, page 2, column 3


    Masons purchase 90-day option on St. Mark's Hall, a two-story stone building at the corner of West Main and Grape.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, April 15, 1920, page 7, column 4


    A service station is being built at West Main and Fir, to be done in three weeks.
Medford Mail Tribune, weekly edition, May 20, 1920, page 2, column 2


    "Work was begun this morning in preparing the foundation for the big addition to the city hall building, which will parallel the height, width and length of the present city hall and which will rise on the city's vacant lot immediately adjoining at a cost not to exceed $6,000.
    "The new structure was decided upon by the city council some time ago and will house the city treasurer and city recorder's offices on the ground floor, a feature which will be gladly accepted by the citizens having business with those offices. Another welcome feature will be the construction in this addition of a commodious new safety vault for the keeping of the many precious city records.
    "The need of this vault to replace the present meager vault was one of the reasons which necessitated the new building. The main other reason was the crowded office conditions of the present building. The present quarters of the city treasurer and recorder will, when the addition is completed, be occupied by the city water superintendent, city electrician, street commissioner, city engineer and all the other offices which Chas. Davis, the city poo bah, fills so acceptably.
    "When the addition is completed the city hall will have a fifty-foot frontage on Front Street and, as now, a 100-foot length back to the alley. While the addition will be the same height as the present structure, its second floor will not be finished until such time as the council has more funds at its disposal. No walls will have to be constructed for the addition, as the wall of the present structure and that of the brick building on the south will be used. The front and rear ends of the addition will be built of concrete, and the lower front will be enclosed with plate glass windows.
    "The work of construction is being done by day labor, with R. I. Stewart, the well-known contractor, in charge as the city's foreman. The new structure will be completed and occupied by spring."
Medford Mail Tribune, January 25, 1921, page 6, column 5


    "The building of the new addition to the city hall is well under way and attracts a small crowd of sightseers all day long. The framework of the new reinforced steel concrete 10 foot by 20 foot vault was completed this morning, and this afternoon the work of pouring concrete was to be begun. The walls of the vault are to be composed of steel, brick and concrete 20 inches in thickness."
Medford Mail Tribune, January 29, 1921, page 2, column 3


    "Work is progressing on the new city hall annex. The steel parts of the large vault arrived this week and are being put in place. By the time the concrete floor is laid and the windows are put in the vault will be dried out and the structure ready for use."
Medford Mail Tribune, March 19, 1921, page 2, column 2


    "The plate glass windows have been put in place at the city hall annex building. The vault has been completed, and the work of pouring the concrete floor will be begun within three days, after which the walls will be given two coats of plaster when the structure will be ready to house the city offices."
Medford Mail Tribune, March 21, 1921, page 2, column 3


    The police department has uniform hats "for the first time in years."
Medford Sun, March 27, 1921, page 2, column 4


    Standard Oil building on Sixth and Riverside opened.
Medford Mail Tribune, April 4, 1921, page 3, column 2


    "The concrete floor of the new city hall annex is being poured, and that structure will be ready in a week or so to house the city offices."
Medford Mail Tribune, April 6, 1921, page 3, column 4


    "The new city hall annex will probably not be ready for occupancy for about a month, a change having been decided on in the plans of the office arrangement."
Medford Mail Tribune, April 9, 1921, page 2, column 3


    Flag at city hall flies at half mast in tribute to three Medford boys who died in battlefields of France, Carl C. Dunham, Russell Simon Hawk and Van Allen Cornish.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 16, 1921, page 6, column 5


    Fire truck to be repaired by substituting a Packard rear end. Construction at cost of less than $490 and to have wheels "cut down."
Medford City Council Minutes, October 6, 1922, volume 5, page 512


    Fire Committee authorized to proceed with remodeling fire hall for fire department and offices.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 20, 1923, volume 5, page 539


    Council recommends purchase of a model "O" Stutz pumper and authorizes Finance Committee to work out details of purchase.
Medford City Council Minutes, December 2, 1924, volume 5, page 649


    City attorney and city superintendent to change offices, and city superintendent to put in necessary partitions and erect a small storage room on west corner of city hall.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 30, 1925, volume 6, page 29


    Partition between police office and fire hall to be extended to the ceiling and a ladder provided.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 20, 1925, volume 6, page 79

Medford City Hall, February 18, 1927 Medford Mail Tribune
February 18, 1927 Medford Mail Tribune

    Woodwork of city hall to be painted and awning repaired.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 18, 1926, volume 6, page 148


    Amount of bond issue for new city hall to be $60,000.
Medford City Council Minutes, March 15, 1927, volume 6, page 221


    Record of special election May 16 to amend charter to authorize the city council to build a new city hall, lease it to the county as a temporary courthouse and sell present city hall building. 1631 voted.
Yes - 1390
No   -  241
Medford City Council Minutes, May 17, 1927, volume 6, page 240


Front Street, North:
40  Thomas Realty and Insurance Co.
S.E. Corner 6th  City Hall and Fire Department
42  City Treasurer
       John Carkin, City Attorney
       F. W. Scheffel, City Superintendent
44  City Recorder (page 206)
Sixth Street, East:
104  Central Fire Station (page 218)
Medford, Oregon City Directory 1927-28, West Coast Directory Co., publisher


    Lists bids for three-story concrete city hall. Awarded to R. I. Stuart & Son for $52,000.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, June 16, 1927, volume 6, page 251


    Bids listed for new fire hall.
Medford City Council Minutes, January 2, 1929, volume 6, page 437


    Awarded to Elmer Childers for $14,709.00.
Medford City Council Minutes, January 8, 1929, volume 6, page 439


    Mr. Treichler authorized to rent the old fire hall for one year at $75.00 a month.
Medford City Council Minutes, September 3, 1929, volume 7, page 20


    Treichler to be evicted. Consider renting to M. M. Harvey.
Medford City Council Minutes, October 1, 1929, volume 7, page 28


"Early-Day Fires of City Recalled at Firemen Meet
    "'Skinny and Rastus,' the two speedy bays who formed the first team purchased by the Medford fire department, did not attend the reunion of the first volunteer squads which came to a close in this city last night. Their names were frequently called, however, and highlighted in all bull fests held round the stove, where 26 members of the volunteer squad of 1910 enumerated events growing out of the quenching of Medford's 'first flames.'
    "'Skinny and Rastus' joined the department in 1910. [The dates make clear that the horses referred to were actually Tom and Jerry.] They weren't volunteers. They were drafted. They knew nothing about so hot a life when they entered the employ of the city. They soon learned the meaning of the hurried ding-dong of the city bell (the one which will sound curfew tonight) and dashed to burning structures until 1912, when the old Pope-Hartford auto took their places.
    "In those days Medford didn't have a reservoir. A water tank, similar to the one located in the outskirts of Central Point, towered above the trees on the lot where the city library now stands. When the fire bell rang, the pumps started working to store up water for the coming campaign. Even then, firemen stated yesterday, the supply of water was very inadequate. Dwellings frequently burned down because of lack of water to put out the flames.
    "Before 'Skinny and Rastus' came into the fire department the volunteer squad pulled the hose carts round the city. Man power was also used to rush the ladder cart, purchased by the volunteers, to the scene of the fire. The sides of the cart were lined with buckets, which waked the few sleeping citizens with their continued jangling as the department scurried down the streets.
    "Events of early days in Medford, subject of each session of the firemen's reunion, were not all [i.e., only] recalled by ex-volunteers. John Demmer, member of the city council in 1910, added to the list of reminiscences.
    "Three members of the first squad, organized in 1890, attended the meetings. They are D. T. Lawton, J. W. Lawton and Ernest Langley. Other veteran firefighters, who claim to have saved the town from burning at one time or another, are ex-Chief Eugene Amann, Jack Fredenburg, W. J. Fredenburg, J. H. Butler, H. D. Ling, J. J. Osenbrugge, F. E. Redden, P. C. Bingham, G. F. Lindley, C. A. Hamlin, Horace Roberts, Chas. Boussum, H. L. Wilson, H. D. Haswell, Victor Danielson, Everett Eads, Jim Bates, George Eads, Herman Fredenburg, Harry Young and Tom Merriman.
    "The majority of the group will return to homes in northern California and neighboring cities of Oregon today."
Medford Mail Tribune, March 16, 1930, page 3, column 1


    In the past ten years the population increased 5500 to 13,000. (page 15)
North Front Street:
40       Graves, Alva V., jeweler
40½    Apostolic Church mission
42-44 City Hall
42½    City Building Department, Fred W. Scheffel, City Superintendent
44       City Recorder (page 243)
Sixth Street, East:
104  City Police Garage
110  Police Department and Federal Prohibition Department
Medford, Oregon City Directory 1930-31, Medford Printing Co., publishers


    Reference to possibility of occupying new city hall.
Medford City Council Minutes, July 5, 1932, volume 7, page 268


    City offices to be moved as soon as practicable.
Medford City Council Minutes, August 23, 1932, volume 7, page 275


    City to move to new hall. "No definite date was set last night for evacuation of the city hall on Front and Sixth streets, but it is understood the change will be made as soon as possible after the departure of the county officials."
Medford Mail Tribune, August 24, 1932, page 1, column 8


    Still planning the move.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 8, 1932, page 1, column 4


    CCC granted free use of entire second floor of old city hall until no longer needed.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 16, 1933, volume 7, page 318


    City gives CCC use of upper floor of old city hall as base concentration camp for as long as they're in Medford. Salvation Army has moved some of its supplies in, but arrangements were made to find them another place.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 17, 1933, page 5, column 3


    Old city hall building to be remodeled at approximate cost of $900.
Medford City Council Minutes, May 5, 1936


    City to remodel first floor corner room of the old city hall at a cost of $900 ($400 materials and $500 labor). "The remodeling . . . would remove the solid stone column at the corner and permit installation of large show windows." Notes that the corner space has been vacant for a long time.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 6, 1936, page 1, column 8


Front Street, North:
40     Lloyd's Barber Shop
42     Apostolic Faith Mission
44     Dawson, James H., grinder and locksmith
          Wilson, John R., electrical contractor
44½  Civilian Conservation Corps Headquarters, Medford District
46      Holbrook & Andrews, second-hand dealers (page 250)
Sixth Street, East:
108  Vacant
110  Schafer, Louis C., electrical repair (page 284)
Polk's Medford City and Jackson County Directory 1937


    City agrees to furnish labor to install new lights in old city hall. Lights furnished by CCC.
Medford City Council Minutes, July 19, 1938, volume 8, page 356


L. C. Schafer Electric Works, 110 E. Sixth
The Furniture Exchange, Sixth & Front
War Department First Aid Station, Camp White, Sixth & Front
Medford and Vicinity Telephone Directory, July 1943



    Deed: City of Medford for $10 and other consideration sells to John O. Cupp and Glades Cupp, L. R. Saxbury and Stella Saxbury.
Jackson County Deed Records, box 250, page 535, May 2, 1944; recorded May 3, 1944


L. C. Schafer Electric Works, 110 E. Sixth (page 18)
The Furniture Exchange, Sixth & Front (page 20)
War Department First Aid Station, Camp White, Sixth & Front (page 24)
Medford and Vicinity Telephone Directory, July 1944


Front Street, North:
40  Singer Sewing Center
42  Vets Club
       Barneburg & Andrews Furniture
46   Southern Oregon Stamp Works (page 192)
Sixth Street, East:
110  Busy Bee Cafe (page 230)
Medford City Directory, Fall 1949, Medford LDS Church, publishers



Front Street, North:
40  Vacant
42  Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
       Veterans of Foreign Wars Club
       Crater Lake Post No. 1833 VFW
       Crater Lake Unit No. 1833 Auxiliary VFW
46   Southern Oregon Stamp Works (page 465)
Sixth Street, East:
102  Barneburg & Andrews Furniture
110  Busy Bee Cafe (page 515)
Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1950


Front Street, North:
40  David Restaurant Supply and Equipment
42  Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
       Veterans of Foreign Wars Club
       Crater Lake Post No. 1833 VFW
       Crater Lake Unit No. 1833 Auxiliary VFW
46   Southern Oregon Stamp Works (page 407)
Sixth Street, East:
102  Barneburg & Andrews Furniture
110  Vacant (page 453)
Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1951-52


Front Street, North:
40  Vacant
42  Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
       Veterans of Foreign Wars Club
       Crater Lake Post No. 1833 VFW
       Crater Lake Unit No. 1833 Auxiliary VFW
46   Vacant (page 446)
Sixth Street, East:
102  Barneburg & Andrews Furniture
110  Busy Bee Cafe
Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1953-54


Front Street, North:
40  Vacant
42  Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
       Veterans of Foreign Wars Club
       Crater Lake Post No. 1833 VFW
       Crater Lake Unit No. 1833 Auxiliary VFW
46   Vacant (page 424)
Sixth Street, East:
102  Barneburg & Andrews Furniture
110  Busy Bee Cafe (page 399)
Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1955


Front Street, North:
40  Vacant
42  Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
       Veterans of Foreign Wars Club
       Crater Lake Post No. 1833 VFW
       Crater Lake Unit No. 1833 Auxiliary VFW
46   Vacant (page 560)
Sixth Street, East:
102  Barneburg & Andrews Furniture
110  Busy Bee Cafe (page 535)
Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1956-57


Front Street, North:
40  Vacant
42  Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall
       Veterans of Foreign Wars Club
       Crater Lake Post No. 1833 VFW
       Crater Lake Unit No. 1833 Auxiliary VFW
44   Edson, Jack A., architect
46   Walsh, Dic Studio, commercial artist (page 656)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Lynne's Candy Cottage
104  Herried Real Estate
110  Van Dyke Dellenbach & McGoodwin, attorneys (page 620)
Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1958


Front Street, North:
40  Not listed
42  VFW Hall with Club 100 Cafe
44   Edson, Jack A., architect
46   Business Service Bureau Inc., collections
       Walsh, Dic Studio, commercial artist (page 40)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Ironrite Sales Co., appliances
104  Herried Real Estate
110  Van Dyke Dellenbach & McGoodwin, attorneys (page 4)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1959


Front Street, North:
42  VFW Hall
44   Edson & Pappas, architects
46   ABCO Credit Service, collections
       General Electric Credit Corp., loans (page 42)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Crosier Appliances, household
104  Herried Real Estate
110  Van Dyke, Dellenbach & McGoodwin, attorneys
         John L. DuBay, lawyer
114  Crothers Shoe Service
116   Karmelkorn Shop (page 4)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1960


Front Street, North:
42  VFW Hall
44   Edson & Pappas, architects
46   American National Insurance Co.
       Riverside Publications, printers
       General Electric Credit Corp., loans (page 43)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Herried Real Estate
         Northwest Pacific Development Corp.
110  Van Dyke, Dellenbach & McGoodwin, attorneys
         John L. DuBay, lawyer
114  Crothers Shoe Service
116   Karmelkorn Shop (page 4)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1962


Front Street, North:
40  A-1 Shoe Service, shoe repair
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
46   American National Insurance Co.
       Business Insurance Service, Inc.
       General Electric Credit Corp., loans
       Spears Display Printing, card writer (page 65)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Cullop's Employment Service
110  Van Dyke, Dellenbach & McGoodwin, attorneys
         John L. DuBay, lawyer
114  Crothers Shoe Service
116   Karmelkorn Shop (page 5)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1963


Front Street, North:
40  Vacant
42  VFW Hall
44   House of Coins
46   Spears Display Printing (page 99)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Cullop's Employment Service
         Young, Rosemark S., advertising
110  Van Dyke, Dellenbach & DuBay, attorneys
114  Crothers Shoe Service
116   Karmelkorn Shop (page 12)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1964


Front Street, North:
40  Jewelry Exchange
42  VFW Hall
44   Herried Real Estate
46   Vacant (page 96)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Cullop's Employment Service
         Services Unlimited, advertising
110  Van Dyke, Dellenbach & DuBay, attorneys
114  Crothers Shoe Service
116   Karmelkorn Shop (page 11)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1965


Front Street, North:
40  Vacant
42  VFW Hall
44   Herried Real Estate
46   Vacant (page 123)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Cullop's Employment Service
         Services Unlimited, advertising
110  Van Dyke, Dellenbach & DuBay, attorneys
114  Crothers Shoe Service
116   Karmelkorn Shop (page 15)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1966-67


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
46   Vacant (page 122)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Cullop's Employment Service
         Services Unlimited, advertising
110  Van Dyke & DuBay, attorneys
114  Messinger, Don Shoe Service
116   Karmelkorn Shop (page 15)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1968


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Afseth, Jacobs & Schmitz, architects
46   Vacant (page 125)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Cullop's Medford Employment Service
         Services Unlimited, advertising, temporary employment
         Profit-Maker Advertising
         Medford Employment Service
110  Van Dyke, DuBay & Robertson, attorneys
114  Messinger, Don Shoe Service
116   Vacant (page 14)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1969


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
46   H.O.P.E., community organizers (page 105)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Vacant
110  Van Dyke, DuBay & Robertson, attorneys
114  Messinger, Don Shoe Service
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 13)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1970


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
46   H.O.P.E., community organizers (page 111)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Vacant
110  Van Dyke, DuBay, Robertson & Paulson, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 13)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1972


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
46   Vacant (page 117)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Vacant
110  Van Dyke, DuBay, Robertson & Paulson, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 14)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1973


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Vacant
                               6  Jackson County Legal Services
                               7  Vacant
(page 130)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Vacant
110  Van Dyke, DuBay, Robertson & Paulson, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 15)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1974


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Vacant
                               6  Jackson County Legal Services
                               7  Vacant
(page 91)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Vacant
110  Van Dyke & DuBay, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 10)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1976


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Super Scissors
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Vacant
                               6  Jackson County Legal Services
                               7  Vacant
(page 92)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
104  Vacant
110  Van Dyke & DuBay, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 10)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1977


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Super Scissors
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Vacant
                               6  Jackson County Legal Services
                               7  Vacant
(page 97)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
110  Van Dyke & DuBay, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 10)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1978


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Super Scissors
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Vacant
                               6  Jackson County Legal Services
                               7  Vacant
(page 102)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
110  Van Dyke & DuBay, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 10)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1979


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Super Scissors
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Jackson County Legal Services
                               6  Jackson County Legal Services
                               7  Vacant
(page 104)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
110  Van Dyke & DuBay, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Pearson, Wes jewelers (page 10)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1980


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Super Scissors
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Jackson County Legal Services
                               6  Jackson County Legal Services
                               7  Vacant
(page 106)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Club Barber Shop
110  Van Dyke & DuBay, attorneys
114  Messinger Bros. Complete Shoe Care
116  Vacant (page 11)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1981


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Vacant
                               7  Vacant
(page 110)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Alan's Styling for Men
110  Jackson County Legal Services
114  G. E. Messinger Shoe Repair
116  The Gold Chain Co., jewelry store (page 10)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1983-84


Front Street, North:
40  Jay's Buy & Sell, used merchandise
42  VFW Hall
44   Vacant
Building Rooms:  1  Vacant (3 rooms 1-3)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Vacant
                               7  Vacant
(page 110)
Sixth Street, East:
100  Alan's Styling for Men
110  Vacant
114  G. E. Messinger Shoe Repair
116  Vacant (page 10)

Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1985


Front Street, North:
40  Stevens, R. W., jewelers
42  VFW Hall
44  Wilderness Trails
Building Rooms:  1  Britt (annex)
                               4  Britt Gardens Music & Arts Festival Association
                               5  Britt (annex)
                               7  Britt (annex)
(page 114)
Polk's Medford & Ashland City Directory 1986


    The CCC were upstairs in both buildings, 1933 until WWII declared. Vacant then for years.
    Downstairs was John Cupp's furniture store; then he moved to Sixth and Bartlett where the parking lot is now (Medford Furniture Store). It was about when the war was over, maybe a little before, when Cupp moved out. Then Karmelkorn was next to the alley for awhile. Cupp had the whole downstairs, both buildings. There was an inside stairway. Mose Alford was city treasurer.
    1923--fire department on corner.
    Police department moved into Littrell's building, then into the Jacksonville-Medford depot.
Miscellaneous, unattributed notes


Interview with Edith Updike, November 18:
   
Worked at the city hall summer 1926. Fred Scheffel was city superintendent. Graduated June 1927 and went to work right away. New city hall was being built, then worked for city for 16 years. In [i.e., next to] alley was police department [illegible] on Sixth. Just west of that were big doors [illegible]. Firemen lived upstairs.
    Big coal stove was in her office. She had to carry coal and keep it stoked. The airport was being built at that time.
    Firemen's dorms were upstairs of fire hall. Upstairs in the back of the newer building was the city council chamber. She doesn't remember there being a jail. No remodeling that she remembers.
    She doesn't remember who went in the building after they moved out. A clothing store, then furniture. She quit December 1943.
    The firemen had a pole to slide down. She doesn't remember the police car being there.
    Roy Elliott was fire chief, and Charley Adams was police chief. Both are dead now.
    There was still a solid corner on the building. Doesn't remember when the corner was cut out.




Last revised November 20, 2014