HOME

 

 

Some Notable Residents of
Medford's IOOF Cemetery

Some are notable for the way they lived, some for the way they died.
Click here for directions to the cemetery and an index to all the burials.

U N D E R     C O N S T R U C T I O N

William David Cottrell
IOOF Cemetery Block 222, Lot 2, Space 2

One of the four founders of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (along with his wife Lois, Angus Bowmer, and Bob Stedman). Bill Cottrell was one of Angus Bowmer’s students at Southern Oregon Normal School in 1935 when Bowmer got the idea to present Shakespeare in the old Chautauqua building above Lithia Park. “We were the whole crew—we did everything,” recalled Cottrell. “Bowmer directed the plays, his wife was in charge of costumes, and Stedman and Cottrell did the stage and technical work. In addition, they acted in all the plays, along with whoever else they could talk into performing.” Cottrell went on to film and stage work, appearing in “Julius Caesar” with Marlon Brando and touring with “The Caine Mutiny.”
from a June 1981 clipping, SOHS vertical file 

William Dutton
IOOF Cemetery Block 110, Lot 3, Space 1

William Dutton Falls into Wheel; Is Killed
Resident of Valley 8 Years
Is Said to Have Been Intoxicated--Team Does Not Run
But Drags Unfortunate Man for More Than a Half Mile.

    William Dutton, who resides in the Antelope District near Eagle Point, while in a drunken condition Saturday afternoon was killed by falling into a wheel of the spring wagon he was driving on the Eagle Point Road. The man was dragged for more than a half mile, his head striking each spoke in the wheel. The team was not frightened and it did not run. Dutton was still alive when the team was stopped but died shortly afterward.
    Dutton had been in town during the afternoon and started home shortly after 4 o'clock. After he had passed Crest Brook about a mile he fell from the wagon onto the tongue of the wagon, his head falling into such a position that each spoke of the front wheel on the left hand side of the wagon struck his head. Tracks in the road show that he was dragged for more than a half mile.

Team Stopped.

    Professor [John] C. Engelhardt, who resides in the first house on the left-hand side of the road before reaching the top of the hill overlooking the desert, was the man who stopped the team. He was working in a field nearby and noticed the team coming along with no one in the seat. He called to his wife in regard to the strange appearance of the wagon and then ran out into the road and stopped the team. He then freed Dutton from the position but the man died within a moment or two after he was freed. The team was traveling on a walk and was stopped without difficulty. Engelhardt then called the police force of Medford and notified them.
    The exact manner in which Dutton lost his life will never be known. He had been drinking while in Medford and it is believed that he had become so drunk that he was powerless to help himself when he fell into the wheel. Where his head was striking the wheel the paint is entirely worn off the spokes showing that he had been carried a great distance. His body was in a horrible condition, blood stains covering his head and shoulders which had clotted with dust. His clothes were partially torn from his body.
    As soon as the police were notified Constable Singler and Deputy Sheriff Shearer went to the scene. Chief Hittson and Deputy Coroner Perl followed, the latter with the ambulance in which the body was brought to the city.

Son Notified.

    Mr. Dutton's son was in this city at the time of the tragedy and was at once notified. He went at once to the scene and later to his home where he had the sorrowful task of breaking the news to his mother, brothers and sisters.
    Mr. Dutton was a man of some sixty years of age. He lived in the Antelope section and leaves a wife and eight children. They are Mrs. Jane Hunt of Eddysville, Ore., George and William of Wisner, Idaho, Charles of Corvallis, Ed and Fred of Medford, Henry of Fossil and Mrs. Nellie Mooman of Williams. He had lived in this valley eight years, coming here from the Willamette Valley. He was a native of Iowa.
    The funeral services will be held from Perl's undertaking parlors at 2:30 o'clock Monday. Coroner Kellogg will hold an inquest Monday.

Medford Mail Tribune, July 23, 1911, page 1

William Walter Eifert
IOOF Cemetery Block 223, Lot 1, Space 2

September 21, 1860-September 2, 1913

MAYOR EIFERT FUNERAL TO BE HELD FRIDAY
Elks and K. of P. Lodge to Be in Charge—
Acting Mayor Summerville to Issue Proclamation for Observance.
City Council Honorary Pallbearers

Widow’s Condition Serious—Executive Stricken Tuesday Night.

    The funeral services of Mayor W. W. Eifert, stricken Tuesday by an attack of heart failure, will be held Friday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock under the auspices of the Elks and K. of P.’s. The services will be held in the Elks Temple. Other arrangements will be made late this afternoon.
    Acting Mayor John T. Summerville will issue a proclamation today requesting that all business houses be closed during the hours of the funeral. The council Wednesday morning ordered the city hall draped for thirty days.
    The active pallbearers will be three members from the Elks and K. of P. lodges, and the honorary pallbearers the members of the city council. All city employees will attend, and all city offices be closed during the final services.
    Mrs. Eifert, widow of the late mayor, an invalid for years, is in a critical condition as a result of the tragedy. She is under the care of physicians. An effort to withhold the news from her was futile.
    Deceased carried life insurance in the amount of $4,000, in two policies of $2,000 each, in old line companies.
    Justin Eifert, a son, arrived this morning. Mrs. Buchter will arrive tomorrow from San Francisco, from a broken honeymoon. Mrs. Charles Palm, a sister of Mayor Eifert, spending the summer at Pelican Bay, will reach Medford Thursday.
    Mayor Eifert was alone in the workshop of his tailoring establishment when stricken, and life had been extinct for over an hour when the body was found at 9:50 o’clock by Dyer Flynn, a small boy [Diamond L. Flynn was actually sixteen at the time], who entered the store to telephone. The discovery frightened him, and he ran and told Sergeant Pat Mego, who investigated calling Deputy Coroner John A. Perl, a personal friend of the dead official.
    Mayor Eifert left his home at seven o’clock to attend the council meeting, and en route stopped at his shop, to attend to work a customer required today. He had removed his coat, and seated himself on his work bench. In this position, evidence shows, the first attack was felt. From there he fell to the floor where found later. Death was painless, and there were no signs of a struggle.
    A wife, an invalid, and six children survive: the Misses Maria and Ethel, Mrs. William Barnum, Mrs. Frank Isaacs, and Mrs. J. J. Buchter, who was married Sunday, and who is now on her way home from a honeymoon trip. One son, Justin, mourns. There are other relatives in the east.
    The news of the tragic death filled the community with sorrow. He was the central figure in a bitter political battle, immediately following his election last January, but this left no marks after settlement. His loss is universally mourned. He had many warm admirers, and was a true friend of the poor, giving to the needy, often at a personal sacrifice. He was only in modest circumstances and the head of an ideal home and family life.
    William Walter Eifert was born in Kenton, Hardin County, Ohio, on September 21, 1860. He resided there until he was 19 years of age, when he moved to Ada, Ohio, and went into the merchant tailoring business. He was married at the age of twenty-one, and two years later went into business for himself, continuing in the business until he moved to Medford, nine years ago, and has been in the same business here ever since. He was always active in fraternal circles, and being a Mason, Knight of Pythias, and an Elk. He was past chancellor of the Ada K. P. lodge, and has been chancellor commander of [Medford K.P.] Talisman lodge, three terms, and also delegate to the grand lodge and grand prophet of that body. He has filled all the offices in the Ashland lodge, B.P.O.E. except exalted ruler, and in the Medford lodge was past exalted ruler and was a delegate to the national convention municipal government, having served at Atlantic City.
    He had considerable experience as a councilman in Ada from 1897 to 1901, and 5 years as a councilman in Medford, from 1906 to 1911, during which time he was chairman of the city water committee, member of the special committee which installed our present water system, and for one term president of the council. Last January he was elected mayor in a three-cornered race by a majority of 100.

Medford Mail Tribune, September 3, 1913, page 1

 EIFERT FUNERAL FRIDAY AFTERNOON 2 P.M. ELKS’ HALL
Proclamation

    With the respect that flows from the heart of every person in the community towards the memory of the late W. W. Eifert, who while filling the highest honor and performing the highest duty in the gift of his fellows, was summoned by the Father of all to lay aside those duties for those we know not of; and that we may attest the respect due him for his industry, kindness, and perseverance, which gained for him the place he occupied, by virtue of my office as acting mayor of the City of Medford, Oregon, I respectfully request of all citizens of said city, that on Friday, September 5th, 1913, between the hours of 2 and 4 o’clock in the afternoon of said day, they lay aside their several callings and occupations, and close their places of business during said time while the relatives and friends of the departed are performing for him the last and sacred rites.
    J. T. SUMMERVILLE,
    Acting Mayor of Medford.

 ------------

    The funeral of the late Mayor W. W. Eifert will be held at 2:00 o’clock Friday afternoon at the Elks hall, under the auspices of the Elks and Knights of Pythias lodges. The remains will lie in state from 10 o’clock to 12 o’clock in the morning at Elks hall and can be viewed by friends. The funeral sermon will be preached by the Rev. W. F. Shields, and the funeral parade be participated in by the various lodges with which the deceased was affiliated.
    Acting Mayor Summerville has issued a proclamation asking business houses to close from 2 o’clock until 4 o’clock.
    Relatives from out of the city arrived today to be present at the funeral.

Medford Mail Tribune, September 4, 1913, page 6

FINAL TRIBUTE TO LATE MAYOR
Funeral One of the Largest Attended in Medford’s History—
Many Beautiful Floral Tributes—Ceremonies Impressive.

    Medford paid its last earthly tribute to the memory of the late Mayor W. W. Eifert this afternoon at one of the largest attended funeral services in the history of the city. Business houses generally and city offices were closed out of respect to the dead executive. There were many beautiful floral pieces, including one piece from the members of the city council, one each from the fraternal orders and the city departments, besides a wealth of flowers from friends in this city and southern Oregon.

Elks Temple Packed

    The Elks Temple was packed with people come to pay final tribute. The services at 2:30 o’clock were conducted by the Elks, the ritual of the order to departed brothers being read by Exalted Ruler A. C. Burgess. Attorney B. F. Mulkey delivered the eulogy upon the stricken official, referring to his labors in behalf of fraternalism, and his loyalty and faithfulness to their precepts. The Rev. W. F. Shields, of the Presbyterian Church, delivered the sermon telling of the traits, works and kindliness of his life. Songs were given by Mr. and Mrs. George Andrews, and Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Gore.

Funeral Procession Long

    The funeral procession marched down Holly Street to Main Street, thence east to the grave, headed by the Medford band, and followed by the police and fire departments, the Elks, the Knights of Pythias and carriages containing the Rev. W. F. Shields, immediate family and relatives, and a long line of citizens in the order named. Members of the city council marched in front.
    The active pallbearers were: Chas. Gay, Ed. Pottenger and L. M. Lyons of the Elks, and John Phlegar, Henry Haswell and E. G. Trowbridge of the Knights of Pythias. The honorary pallbearers were Councilmen Stewart, Campbell, Porter, Mitchell, Millar and Acting Mayor Summerville.
    At the grave the services were conducted by the Knights of Pythias, the funeral line halting on Main Street while mourning relatives and friends filed past to the last resting place.

Medford Mail Tribune, September 5, 1913, page 1

Harry Hamilton Howell
IOOF Cemetery Block 138, Lot 4, Space 2

Howell was director of the Rogue River Valley Band.

    The band concert in the city park last night was much enjoyed by a large crowd of people. As usual the streets surrounding the park and library park were filled with parked autos, whose occupants joined in the applause following each band selection by blowing the horns of the cars.

Medford Mail Tribune, Sept. 2, 1920, page 2

    The death of Harry H. Howell, the well known musician, notice of which appears elsewhere in this paper, will be regretted by thousands of residents of the city and valley, where he contributed so much musical enjoyment. Especially will his loss be felt in the Rogue Valley Band of which he was the leader, and which so delightfully entertained the people of Medford and Ashland with weekly concerts last summer.
Medford Mail Tribune, November 29, 1920, page 6

OBITUARY

HOWELL—Harry Hamilton Howell died at the Dow Hospital November 28 after a short illness from typhoid fever, complicated with blood poisoning, at the age of 48 years, 7 months and 20 days. He was born at Black River Falls, Wis., April 8, 1872. He was a well-known professional musician, who started at the age of 13 years studying music and was the leader of the Rogue River Valley Band at the time of his death. He was a Spanish war veteran, having enlisted at Superior, Wis., in Co. I, 3rd Wisconsin, and served under General Miles throughout the war.
    In the death of Harry H. Howell, Medford and the community at large have suffered a real loss. For years he had been a moving factor in all city and valley musical activities. A musician of first class attainments, he was widely known as an orchestra and band leader and freely gave of his time and work, much of the time gratis, in the effort to build up permanent and varied musical interest in the valley. He always showed splendid tenacity and enthusiasm in his work, and was at the beck and call of any musician who needed him. As a loyal friend he is mourned by all who knew him.
    Mr. Howell leaves his wife, Florence, one son Harry, and one daughter Roberta. He is also survived by a brother, Cheney, and a sister, Mrs. Margaret Sevler, all of Medford, Ore.
    The funeral services will be held at the Perl Funeral Home Tuesday, November 30, at 2:30 p.m., Rev. D. A. Millard officiating. Interment in the Medford I.O.O.F. cemetery.

Medford Mail Tribune, November 29, 1920, page 6

Fortunatus Hubbard
IOOF Cemetery NW Circle, Lot 33, Space 3

Fort Hubbard was a founder of the venerable Hubbard Brothers hardware company.

RITES THURSDAY FOR F. HUBBARD, COUNTY PIONEER

    Funeral services for Fortunatus Hubbard, 79, Jackson County pioneer and one of the early owners of the present Hubbard Brothers company here, will be held at the Perl Funeral Home Thursday at 2 p.m. with the Rev. Louis C. Kirby, pastor of the First Methodist church, officiating. Hubbard passed away Sunday at the home of his son, Ferdie A. Hubbard (IOOF NW Circle, lot 33, space 4), in Central Point. Interment will be in Medford I.O.O.F. cemetery.
    Hubbard, born May 28, 1866, in Illinois, came to Jacksonville in 1883 with his father who established an implement business in that town. He went into business with his father in 1884 and the firm was later moved to Medford under the name of Hubbard Brothers. Fortunatus Hubbard was the eldest of the Hubbard brothers and the last to survive, Asahel C., Alexis and Otis (IOOF block 19, lot 4, space 2) having all preceded him in death.
    The deceased was married in 1894 to Theresa McKee (IOOF NW Circle, lot 33, space 2) of Jacksonville and three children were born to the couple. All three, Earl of Seattle, Ferdie of Central Point and Aletha of Seattle, survive. His second marriage was to Lydia Meadows, 440 South Riverside, who survives, and other survivors are a grandchild and great-grandchildren in Seattle.
    Hubbard retired from active business in 1926 and in the interest of his health went to Crater Lake National park as a ranger. The latter years of his life were spent with his son and daughter in Seattle. He was a lifelong member of the Odd Fellows lodge and also belonged to the Elks lodge, Kiwanis club and Rebekah lodge while residing in Medford. Mr. Hubbard, active in the city's civic affairs, was widely known as a public spirited citizen and held in high esteem and regard while in business in Medford.

Medford Mail Tribune , October 2, 1945, page 8

Emma Jansen
IOOF Cemetery Block 133, Lot 4, Space 1

June 24, 1867-September 25, 1915

Emma and Henry A. Jansen had lived in Medford for only a few years before her death; they had been married 27 years. Henry founded Medford Cement Brick and Block Works on the present site of Larson's; he likely fabricated the tall tree-shaped concrete marker, displaying the word "
BROKEN."

DIED—Emma Jansen, at her late residence, 335 South Orange Street, Saturday, September 25th, 1915, aged 49 years 3 months. Native of Illinois. She leaves to mourn her loss, her husband and daughter, Mrs. Ford Hills of San Francisco, two sisters, Mrs. Philip Herbold, Los Angeles, and Mrs. Chas. Dorow, Chicago. Funeral services will be held at the residence Monday, Sept. 27th at 2:00 p.m., Rev. Hamilton officiating. Interment at Masonic cemetery. Services at the grave will be conducted by Reames Chapter, Order of Eastern Star.

Medford Mail Tribune, September 25, 1915, page 2

Elizabeth Freeman Berlin Lumsden
IOOF Cemetery Block 39, Lot 1, Space 2
July 31, 1865-January 14, 1961

Bessie Lumsden was one of the last living links to Medford's beginnings when she died at the age of 95. Fortunately, she did leave us one brief interview in which describes life in Southern Oregon in the 19th century.  

OBITUARY   

    Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman Lumsden, 95, known as Aunt Bessie and a resident of Medford for over 72 years, died in a Central Point nursing home Saturday evening.
    Mrs. Lumsden, the daughter of Dr. T. N. and Jane Dennison Berlin, was born in Farmington, Minn., on July 31, 1865. She was also married in Farmington on Sept. 15, 1887 to Harold U. Lumsden. The couple came to Medford the following year, where Mr. Lumsden started one of the first general stores here. It was first located near the old Nash Hotel, now the Robinson Hotel, and later moved to the location now occupied by the men’s department of Mann’s department store. Mr. Lumsden retired in 1927 and died in September of the following year.
    Mrs. Lumsden was one of the early members of the First Presbyterian Church, having joined it in 1897. She first became a member of the Order of Eastern Star in Jacksonville, and left to become a charter member of the Medford Reames chapter, OES. She was also a charter member of the Daughters of the Nile, a charter member of the first civic club in Medford, known as the Lewis and Clark club, and was a member of Medford’s first library board.
    Survivors include a niece and foster daughter, Mrs. Edith G. Grigsby, Medford; a grandson, Dr. T. B. Lumsden, La Grande; a granddaughter, Mrs. Anne Kirkpatrick, Baker; and a daughter-in-law, Mrs. Lucille Lumsden, also of Baker; and seven great-grandchildren. A son and two daughters preceded her in death.

Medford Mail Tribune,
January 16, 1961 

Ive McKinney
IOOF Cemetery Block 221, Lot 4, Space 1
April 15, 1895-May 31, 1930

Barnstormer, Forest Service pilot, air racer. Funds for McKinney's headstone were raised by a benefit air show at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey.  

AVIATOR FLYS FROM LAW AND MAKES ESCAPE

Arrested for No Pilot's License, Ive McKinney Sails Away

    MEDFORD, July 9--Ive McKinney, aviator formerly of Medford, is being sought by local state traffic officers to answer to charges placed against him for operating an airplane without a proper pilot's license. McKinney was in the city shortly before the 4th of July, and at that time he was arrested and told to appear before Judge Taylor the following morning after arrest, but instead of doing so left for Myrtle Point, Oregon, to take part in a celebration there. Upon his arrival there he was apprised of the fact that the officers of Jackson County had informed Coos Bay officials to apprehend him. Forthwith he put up $50 bail at Myrtle Point for his appearance at the local justice court.
    According to late reports, instead of coming to Medford he went on to Montague, thence to Mount Shasta City, Calif., and then to Wallace, Idaho, where it is said he has a contract for transporting iron pipe by airplane.
Ashland Daily Tidings, July 9, 1925, page 1

STUNT FLIER KILLED IN AIRPLANE RACE

Wind Overturns Capt. McKinney's Aircraft
As He Makes Vertical Bank at Teterboro.
 

    TETERBORO, N.J., May 31.--When his plane sideslipped on a turn in an airplane race here today, Captain Ive McKinney, former army flier and widely known stunt pilot, crashed on the edge of the Teterboro Airport and received injuries of which he died in the Hackensack Hospital.
    The race, one of the closing events of a two-day air carnival, was held for the benefit of the Passaic Chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. McKinney, who had thrilled thousands with his hair-raising stunts over airports near New York for several years, was flying low, barely skimming the treetops and cutting corners sharply. On the second lap he pulled the New Standard plane into a vertical bank to round the sound pylon and a sudden gust of wind flipped the plane upside down.

    The pilot struggled to right the ship by a maneuver known as a half roll, but the loss of altitude which always accompanies the roll carried him so low that his wing tip caught in the rough ground. The plane cartwheeled over and came to rest near the airport boundary, a complete wreck. Spectators and airport attendants rushed to the scene as the other contestants in the race quickly landed.
    The unconscious pilot was dragged from the wreckage. Despite the speed at which the accident occurred McKinney's long experience enabled him to take the precaution of cutting his ignition switches off and that probably prevented the plane from taking fire. His legs and jaw were broken and he was injured internally. He died in the hospital at 8:30 p.m.
    McKinney had lived in Hackensack since his employment here as a pilot and instructor in the New Standard Flying Service. He had been connected with many aviation enterprises and had had several bad accidents within the last two years. Since last August he had crashed three times on this airport, but his injuries were relatively slight and a few weeks found him again in the air, stunting. Before he came here he was the leader of the Gates Air Circus, which toured the country on stunting exhibitions and finally installed itself at the Holmes Airport in Queens. He also had a severe accident at that airport. A week or so later he hobbled to the field on crutches, gave them to a mechanic and took off on a series of combat maneuvers in his crippled condition.
    He was considered one of the leading circus fliers of America.
    McKinney was born in [Harriman, Tennessee]. He was 35 years old and was engaged to be married to Miss Grace Ayres of Ridgefield Park, N.J. She was on the field at the time of the accident.
The New York Times, June 1, 1930

IVE McKINNEY, LOCAL AIRMAN,
DIES IN CRASH

Plane Hit by Gust of Wind During Race in New Jersey--
Was Pioneer of Medford Flying.

        TETERBORO AIRPORT, Hasbrouck Heights, N.J., June 2. (AP)--Captain Ive McKinney, Hasbrouck Heights, died Saturday night of injuries received when his plane was turned over by a gust of wind during a race, and crashed from a height of 50 feet.

----

    Captain Ive McKinney, 35, pioneer Oregon aviator and former Medford resident, was killed at Teterboro, N.J., Saturday, when his plane crashed in an air race, according to word received here yesterday by relatives. Captain McKinney lived here for several years and is remembered by many southern Oregon residents.
    He was born in Harriman, Tenn., April 15, 1895, and came to Medford with his family in 1918. He joined the air corps here in 1919 and was stationed at the local airport for some time while in the service. Later, he engaged in flying service and was one of the first to carry passengers here.
    Mr. McKinney is also remembered for his stunt flying at local fairs and celebrations. He crashed at the fairgrounds once in 1926, but was not injured. For several years he has been in the airport and flying business in Teterboro, N.J.
    He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. L. McKinney, two brothers, John and Huse, and a sister, Mrs. Sam Colton, all residents of Medford. The funeral will probably be held here.
Medford Mail Tribune, June 2, 1930, page 1

John Osborne
IOOF Cemetery Block 215, Lot 3, Space 3

LEAPS TO DEATH FROM ROOF OF HOTEL
---
John Osborne, Contractor,
Suicides
by Jump from
Five-Story Building.
---
Temporary Insanity Caused by Drink
Blamed for Rash Act--Funeral
Services To Be Held
Monday
---

    John Osborne, a contractor, age 45 years, living in Medford; for many years, committed suicide Saturday at noon, by leaping from the roof of the Medford Hotel. Temporary insanity, caused by an unsatisfied craving for liquor, prompted the mad act. Death was instantaneous, and scores of people hurrying homeward at the noon hour saw the body hurl through the air and strike the Main Avenue pavement with a sound like the muffled report of a revolver.
    Recently an order of the county court was issued upon the request of relatives and friends of the dead man, asking he be forbidden the sale of liquor. This preyed upon his mind and coupled with other worries, brought him to an irresponsible condition.
    Just before his leap, Osborne walked into Olmstead's grocery store, and immediately left without a word. He went to the Medford Hotel and asked Henry Wolf, the elevator boy, to take him to the roof, stating that he wished to see the scenery. This was done, and was the last living act of the man before he leaped to his death five stories below.
    The flying body was seen in the air by Dr. Porter, who rushed to his aid after he struck. Osborne struck upon his back, and every bone in his body was broken by the force of the impact. The only outward mark was a slight abrasion on the chin, probably caused by some other accident.
    After reaching the top of the building Osborne evidently feared that he would be stopped, for he rushed to the edge, halted for a moment, and then plunged downward. Mr. Garrison and other eyewitnesses saw the man standing on the edge, wondered what he was doing, and turned away in horror after the leap.
    After the suicide Coroner Kellogg of Gold Hill was called, and an inquest decided unnecessary, the facts in the case being strong.
    Osborne is survived by a wife, daughter and son, the latter living in California. The funeral will be held Monday at two o'clock from the late residence, 512 South Oakdale, the Rev. E. O. Eldridge officiating. The services will be under the auspices of the Woodmen of the World. Interment in Odd Fellows cemetery.

Medford Sun,
April 20, 1913, page 1

OBITUARY
    The funeral of John Osborne, who died in this city on Saturday last, was held yesterday from his late residence, 512 South Oakdale Avenue. The services at the house were in charge of Rev. E. O. Eldridge, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
    Mr. Osborne was born in Maidstone, England, and was 51 years of age at the time of his death. He was a man of many sterling qualities and noble traits of character, a devoted husband and father.
    He leaves to mourn him his widow Mrs. Olivia Osborne, a daughter, Eva, and two sons living in California. His father and two brothers also survive him in England. The services at the grave were in charge of the Woodmen, a lodge of which Mr. Osborne had been a member for years.
Medford Mail Tribune, April 23, 1913, page 4

Olivia Dyre Osborne
IOOF Cemetery Block 215, Lot 3, Space 4

Olivia Osborne, the first Registered Nurse in Oregon, was the wife of John Osborne, above. She died twenty-nine years after John, and is buried beside her husband in space 4.

    Mrs. Olivia Dyre Osborne (class of 1892, Illinois Training School for Nurses, Chicago, Illinois) [died] on March 27 [1942] at the Community Hospital, Medford, Oregon. For fifteen years Mrs. Osborne did private duty nursing. In 1895, as a bride, she went to Medford, Oregon, and it was through her untiring efforts that the law governing the registration of nurses in that state was passed. Subsequently, in 1911, she became the first registered nurse in Oregon. She served on the Board of Nurse Examiners from 1911 to 1923 and was elected its first president, serving in that capacity until 1918. Later, a selected secretary, she served the Board for five years.
    Mrs. Osborne was interested not only in creating a high educational standard for nursing but also in the nurse as an individual. Her fine contribution to nursing was given recognition at the silver anniversary of the Oregon State Nurses Association in 1927, and the same year she was made an honorary member of District 4 of the state association. It was through her initiative that the nurses registry at Medford was established, which she directed until the time of her last illness.

"Obituaries,"
American Journal of Nursing, June 1942, page 718

DEATH COMES TO FIRST REGISTERED NURSE OF STATE
    Mrs. Olivia Dyre Osborne, one of Oregon's first trained nurses, passed away at a local hospital Friday afternoon following six weeks' illness. Mrs. Osborne, the first registered nurse in the state, was for many years an active member of the Oregon state examining board for nurses, having been appointed upon formation of that body by Governor Ben Olcott. She was an honorary member of the Oregon State Nurses Association and well known in nursing and medical circles throughout the state.
    She came to Medford in 1895, before the city had any hospitals, and until her death conducted the official District 4 registry for graduate nurses. Her home was at 512 South Oakdale Avenue.
    During Mrs. Osborne's long connection with nursing and the healing art she had seen great development and many changes in techniques. She retained a keen interest in her profession throughout the years and during her long and active career she gave unstintingly both to her work, her sister nurses and her community.
    Mrs. Osborne was a graduate of the Illinois Training School connected with the Cook County Hospital in Chicago. For a number of years she was assistant superintendent of the Presbyterian Hospital in Chicago.
    A lifelong member of the Methodist Church and daughter of a Methodist minister, Olivia Dyre was born in Southampton, Ontario, Canada. She was united in marriage to John Osborne in 1895, coming to Medford as a bride in that year. Mr. Osborne passed away here in 1913.
    Mrs. Osborne is survived by a brother, Milton Dyre, Calgary, Alberta, one daughter, Mrs. Eva Jane Bohall, and four grandchildren, all of San Francisco.
    Funeral services will be conducted by the Rev. L. F. Belknap in the Conger Chapel, at 10:30 a.m. Monday. Interment will be in the Odd Fellows cemetery.
    Pall bearers will be William Warner, H. C. Best, Frank Van Dyke, C. H. Paske, Berthold Barnum and C. H. Gile.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 29, 1942, page 12

 
Ferdinand Osenbrugge
IOOF Cemetery Block 113, Lot 1, Space 3

PIONEER IN FIT OF DESPONDENCY TAKES OWN LIFE
----
F. Osenbrugge Worried Over Business, Health and European War
Commits Suicide at Home--Left Farewell Notes to Friends--
Prominent in Medford's Affairs.
----

    F. Osenbrugge, a pioneer of Medford, former city councilman and treasurer of the Commercial Club, and large property owner, committed suicide this morning at his home, 401 South Riverside, by shooting himself in the head with a revolver. The act was committed between 5:00 and 7:00 o'clock. Notes left behind indicate that worry over business affairs, failing health, and the fortunes of the German army in the great struggle prompted the deed.
    Osenbrugge was about 70 years of age, and well known throughout the city and valley where he had lived for 20 years. There will be no inquest. The news came as a shock to the city, but intimate friends said that owing to recent despondency it did not surprise them.
    The body was found by Dr. Barber about 7:00 o'clock, when he went to make his regular call. Osenbrugge has been under a physician's care for some time. Failing to secure a response to his knock at the front door, Dr. Barber went to a window on the side and peering through saw the outstretched body on the floor, with one hand poised. It was evident that standing before a mirror, the fatal shot was fired. Death was instantaneous. None of the neighbors heard the report.
    An investigation brought to light farewell letters written to friends and relatives. In some the thought was expressed that he was tired of life. In others were written the hope that "enemies of the Fatherland would be punished." The European war was closely followed by the dead man, and he took an intense interest in the rising and falling fortunes of the belligerents.
    Osenbrugge had been a resident of the Rogue River Valley for 20 years, during which time he had been engaged in the feed and implement business. He retired from these pursuits five or six years ago, and devoted his time to his property interests. He was treasurer of the Commercial Club for a number of years and also city councilman for several terms.
    A daughter, Mrs. Walter Antle, and a son living at Ruch survive. The funeral announcement will be made later.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 28, 1915, page 1

Iradell Judson Phipps
IOOF Cemetery Block 30, Lot 2, Space 1

Founder of Medford.

IRA J. PHIPPS, MEDFORD PIONEER, CROSSES DIVIDE

    Iradell Judson Phipps, one of the earliest settlers of Jackson County died at his home, 328 N. Riverside, Medford, on August 22, 1913, at 3:30 p.m., after an illness which dates back several years. He was born in Owen County, Indiana, on March 1, 1838. When a young man he moved with his parents to Unionville, Mo., where on April 21, 1861, he was married to Calista P. Downing.
    He crossed the plains in 1862 and located in La Grande, Baker County, Oregon. In 1865 he moved to Jackson County, where the city of Medford now stands, and became one of the founders of the city. He was a man of marked ability and identified himself with all the various interests of the community, and by his gifts and donations aided largely in the development of one of the most beautiful cities in Oregon. Mr. Phipps belonged to that class of sturdy pioneers who, by their ability and indomitable energy, made possible the splendid civilization that we today enjoy in this great northwest country. He was a familiar figure upon the streets of our city until enforced illness in the last few years necessitated his retirement to the quiet of home, where he was most tenderly cared for by the loving hands of wife and children. Several winters were spent by him in his home in Redlands, Cal., in an attempt to recover his failing health.
    In early manhood he was converted to a Christian life and became a charter member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Medford, and for forty-nine years he was actively identified with all the religious interests of our community. He was a devoted husband and loving father and liberally provided for his home and its needs. In the death of Mr. Phipps Medford has lost one of its leading and most influential citizens.
    He leaves a large circle of friends and relatives to mourn his loss, among whom are his widow and four children, William J. of Alberta, Canada; D. Edward, Dr. Ira D. and one daughter, May, of Medford. Two other children, Franklin and Joseph, died in childhood.
    The funeral will take place Sunday at 2:30 o'clock from his late residence on Riverside Avenue.
Medford Mail Tribune, August 23, 1913, page 6

Joseph Howard Stewart
IOOF Cemetery Block 92, in the aisle between lots 1 and 2

Early commercial orchardist; founder of the Medford Bank.

    As a pioneer fruit grower of Jackson County, Joseph H. Stewart takes first rank, and his products are shipped to all parts of the United States and Europe. He is a profound student of everything pertaining to horticulture, and is one of the best posted men in his line between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. When he first came to Oregon, people generally questioned the advisability of raising fruit [not true--nearly every issue of every local newspaper of 1883 and 1884 extolled Southern Oregon's virtues as a fruit-raising region], but there are many today who wish they had followed his example.
    Owing to early association with his father's nursery [in Adams County, Illinois], Joseph H. Stewart had scant opportunity for attending school, a deficiency which has since spurred him to unusual effort along educational lines. Ambitious and resourceful, he firmly believed that Oregon held exceptional opportunities for the fruit grower, and in the spring of 1884 he took a trip to the state, investigating the soil and general prospects. Well pleased with what he found, he returned to his family in the fall, and in February, 1885, located in the Rogue River Valley. Two months later found him in Illinois, negotiating for the sale of his property, with the proceeds of which he removed his belongings to the coast. Needless to say, fruit trees constituted a large part of the outfit. The first year in the valley he had one hundred and sixty acres under orchard, and the next year an additional one hundred acres. In 1890 he shipped the first carload of fruit out of Jackson County [even the 1885 newspaper announcing Stewart's arrival in Medford makes it clear that fruit is already being shipped in quantity], and in 1896 his output consisted of ninety-five carloads of apples and pears. Mr. Stewart has sold the first two orchards which he started, and at present has about four hundred acres devoted exclusively to apples and pears.
    In 1898 Mr. Stewart built a fine residence in the Cascade Mountains, on the Upper Rogue River, surrounded by thirty acres of orchards, and fitted with every modern improvement. He has taken an active part in the business life of Medford, and in 1899 was one of the organizers of the Bank of Medford, owning the bank building and serving as the president of the concern for two years, and is now its vice president. Mr. Stewart is encouraging fruit growing in his children, and his son William is one of the large fruit ranchers of Jackson County. One child, June I., died at the age of twenty, and three daughters, Mrs. A. J. Weeks, of Oakland, Cal., Mrs. H. M. Crowell and Mrs. D. R. Hill, are living. Mr. Stewart is a Democrat in political affiliation, and fraternally is a charter member of Blue Lodge No. 103, A.F.&A.M. of Medford.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Western Oregon, 1904


Last revised July 23, 2010