HOME


The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised


Jackson County 1869


    Jackson County covers an area of about 8,000 square miles, with a population of 3,000. This county combines within its limits agricultural, manufacturing and mineral resources which will tend to render it in future of great importance to the balance of the state. For nearly eighteen years the gold mines of this county have been successfully worked, and even now they yield sufficient to repay for the outlay of capital and labor expended in working them. The grazing facilities of this county are extensive, and it is contemplated to put in operation a woolen mill which will consume the vast quantities of wool which hitherto had to be sent out of the county to seek a market. Jacksonville, the county seat, is a prosperous place, containing within its corporate limits many handsome buildings. The Methodists, Catholics and other denominations have churches here, and with several public and private schools, the Sisters of the Most Holy Names have an academy for young ladies. Two weekly newspapers are published here. The other towns and post offices are Applegate, Ashland Mills, Grants Pass, Phoenix, Rock Point and Willow Springs.
    COUNTY OFFICERS.--Commissioners, Frederick Heber and W. A. Childers; Judge, L. J. C. Duncan; Sheriff, Thomas G. Reames; Clerk, W. H. S. Hyde; Assessor, Josiah Hannah; Treasurer, Max. Muller; School Sup't., T. H. B. Shipley; Surveyor, James S. Howard.
    Notaries Public.--D. M. C. Gault, Chas. W. Kahler and William Hoffman, Jacksonville; Oliver C. Applegate, Fort Klamath


Last revised March 26, 2015