Medford-related news items from 1908. Also see descriptions of Medford and Jackson County for this year.
COL. S. T. HOWARD DEAD.George Faucett, agent for the Wells Fargo Express co., is now domiciled in his new office on the south side of 7th Street opposite the S.P. depot. The location is much more convenient for his work, and he has more room than in his old quarters.
Well-Known Panhandle Citizen Passes Away at Medford, Oregon.
When the news reached here Dec. 27th, 1907, announcing the death of Col. S. T. Howard, December 26th at about 6 p.m., it was a shock to the community, but was not unexpected to those friends and relations who knew his condition, for he had been in failing health for several months.
Col. Howard was well known and identified with the interests and development of North Central and Northwest Texas. Having moved from Loudon, Tennessee in 1886 and had lived here since that time until about a year ago when he moved to Medford, Oregon, hoping to improve his health. He had lived at Weatherford, Decatur, Quanah and Hereford, and in each of these places he had been a strong, useful factor in its development and interests. He had seen the vast unbroken ranges of Texas become the happy and prosperous homes of thousands. His strong, determined character [and] his love for meeting and overcoming difficulties eminently fitted him for a pioneer. He was a man of many interests, and while laboring to bring about material good he also helped to establish and support schools and churches wherever he went. He did much public work that will be long remembered. He was always prominent in the livestock interests. He was proud of the fact that he owned at one time the sweepstakes herd of Jersey and Hereford cattle of Texas. Many will remember his very efficient work at Austin against the passage of "The Quarantine Bill." He left his own interests here and worked with his usual zeal, for the good of the community north of the quarantine line.
He moved from Quanah to Hereford in the spring of 1902, having purchased a ranch of 20,000 acres 20 miles northwest of Hereford, during the time stocked with high-grade cattle. He was identified with every interest for the upbuilding and advancement of the community. He was active and zealous in church work, being an elder of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He was also a Mason of high standing.
Col. Howard was born Aug. 24, 1842 in Johnson County, Tennessee. After reaching manhood he was engaged in the mercantile and livestock business until he moved to Texas in 1886 and located at Weatherford.
Col. Howard was married early in life to Miss Charlott Isador Kimbrough, a lady of great charm of character who made him a most devoted wife and loyal helpmeet and a tender, loving mother to his children of whom there were ten; nine of this large family survive him. At his bedside at the time of his death was his loving wife and six of his children, Rev. John K., S. T. Jr., H. D., Rhome, Miss Myra and Willie Howard. The other surviving children are Mrs. H. Wildy Lea and Mrs. C. C. Ferguson of Hereford, Texas and H. P. D. Howard of Amarillo, Texas.
He was buried at Medford, Oregon, Dec. 27, 1907.
----Dec. 29.--News reached here last night of the death of Col. S. T. Howard yesterday evening at Medford, Oregon.
COL. S. T. HOWARD DEAD.
Col. Howard was one of the largest land owners of the Hereford country and was well known all over this part of Texas. He has been in failing health for several years, and it was partly in the hope of receiving benefit that he went to Oregon.
His son H. P. D. Howard has made Amarillo his home and headquarters for the past two years in the real estate business, but at the present time is in Missouri looking after business affairs. Col. Howard has other children living at Hereford.--Daily Panhandle.
The Hereford Brand, Hereford, Texas, January 3, 1908, page 4
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, January 17, 1908, page 5
J. Stilwell Vilas, formerly of Kaukauna, Wis., arrived Monday with his family. He bought 180 acres northeast of Medford this summer and is putting it out to fruit as fast as he can possibly set the trees. His 15-room bungalow will be the most modern of its kind in the valley, when completed.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, January 24, 1908, page 5
H. A. Smith left Saturday for Medford, Ore., where he will locate.
"Port Arthur News Notes," Houston Post, Texas, June 17, 1908, page 3
Mrs. Robert Lewis and her small sons, Cicero Hunt Lewis third and Robert Wilson Lewis, are guests for a week at the Hotel Moore, Seaside. Later they will visit at the Medford ranch of Mr. and Mrs. Hunt Lewis.
"Society," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, July 12, 1908, page 26
GAINESVILLE CLAIMS REWARD.
Will Show Thirty-Seven More Points in Resources Than Medford, Ore.
(Houston Post Special.)
GAINESVILLE, Texas, August 2.--Quite a bit of interest has been created in this city by a challenge which the Commercial Club has taken up. A few weeks ago the Commercial Club of Medford, Oregon published a list of the resources of its town and offered $1000 to any town or city which could show more resources within a radius of forty miles. The gauntlet, thus thrown down, was not picked up until the Medford advertising booklet came to the notice of the Gainesville Commercial Club.
The Gainesville list of resources will show that Medford is bested by thirty-seven points, and this list will be forwarded tomorrow with a request that the $1000 be forwarded at once or that Medford show more resources than were given in this booklet.
The Gainesville Commercial Club claims that it can show more resources within a radius of twenty miles than Medford can show in forty. The reward will be claimed, but it is understood that Gainesville will compromise by taking half the amount in advertising in the state papers of Texas, Medford to foot the bills. The people will watch with some interest to see which club makes good in its contention.
Houston Post, Texas, August 3, 1908, page 4
Grape growers in the Rogue River Valley, Oregon, are delighted because they have discovered that the peculiar red soil of that country will produce the Flame Tokay grape to perfection. One grower set out 100,000 Tokay slips this spring.
"Nubbins of Farm News," Weekly Sentinel, Fort Wayne, Indiana, August 5, 1908, page 30
Thurston Daniels, ex-Lieutenant Governor of the State of Washington, formerly of Vancouver, now of Spokane, is in Portland. He has just returned from a visit to Denver, where he attended the National Democratic Convention as a spectator. He visited Colorado Springs, the Cripple Creek district, Salt Lake City and San Francisco in his trip and also stopped off at Medford to visit his son Thurston Daniels, Jr., on his way to Portland. Mr. Daniels has large realty holdings in Spokane.
"Personal Mention," Morning Oregonian, Portland, August 6, 1908, page 7
Big Oregon Pear Orchard Sold.Medford, Ore., Aug. 21.--A syndicate of local and eastern capitalists, headed by John D. Olwell of this city, has purchased the famous pear orchard of C. H. Lewis, near Medford, for $160,000. This orchard holds the world's record for the highest price ever paid for a carload of Comice pears, $6,800.
The Chicago Packer, August 22, 1908, page 6
PALMER BUYS AT MEDFORDMEDFORD, Or., Nov. 12.--(Special.)--A land deal of considerable moment has been closed here by which Honore Palmer, son of the late Chicago millionaire, becomes owner of 1300 acres of land. This body of land is of the most productive in the county and lies on both sides of the Rogue River, 12 miles north of Medford. This particular section along the Rogue River is the finest fishing grounds on the coast and well known to many famous fishermen from abroad.
CHICAGO MILLIONAIRE MAKES $37,000 INVESTMENT.
Dr. E. B. Pickel's "401" Ranch Sells for Over $100,000--Palmer's Land to Be Subdivided.
The price paid for the land is $37,000 cash. Mr. Palmer expects to divide the land into five- and ten-acre tracts and place them on the market. Besides this investment, which he made on his recent trip here, he also bought copper mining property located near the well-known Blue Ledge Mine, about 30 miles southwest of Medford.
Following the sale to Honore Palmer comes another one of interest [illegible] Cannon, C. W. Perkins and B. Gilman of San Francisco, and T. W. [illegible] of Fresno, Cal. purchased Dr. E. B. Pickel's ranch, known as the "401" ranch, and containing 561 acres, 235 acres planted to commercial varieties of apples 1 to 4 years old, and 100 acres ready for planting. The balance is planted to pears. While the exact price has not yet been made public, it is known to be over $100,000.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, November 13, 1908, page 9
Some valuable Oregon property near Medford was recently purchased by Honore Palmer, of Chicago. Mr. Palmer, it will be remembered, bought considerable Oregon land last year, and for a time resided in Eugene, Or., with his distinguished mother, Mrs. Potter Palmer. Apropos of Mrs. Palmer, she gave this past month a brilliant dinner in London, complimentary to King Edward. Having heard the King express a desire to hear the famous American artiste, Madame Fremstad, sing, Mrs. Palmer negotiated with the singer, who came over from Paris to England expressly for the event.
"Society," Sunday Oregonian, Portland, November 22, 1908, page 26
Medford Creamery Burns.
MEDFORD, Or., Nov. 24.--Fire at 1:10 p.m. today destroyed the Medford Creamery, involving a loss of approximately $3000 on the building and equipment and damage to household goods of the owner, Mr. Gaddis, of nearly $1000 additional. The alarm was sounded during a rainstorm, and adjoining buildings within 10 feet were saved in consequence.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, November 25, 1908, page 9