HOME



The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised


Col. Frank H. and Dr. Charles R. Ray
Click here for the story of their dam.


    Dr. Braden is still at his old home in Indiana, and his mining property at Gold Hill lies idle.
"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, November 17, 1893, page 3


    Dr. Braden is expected to return soon from the East, and will at once commence operations at his quartz mine near Gold Hill.
"Personal Mention," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, December 22, 1893, page 2


     Dr. Ray of Gold Hill has gone to New York, and will spend several weeks interesting capitalists in the mines of southern Oregon. He has made a number of investments in this class of property.
"Personal Mention," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, April 24, 1899, page 3


    Dr. C. R. Ray of Gold Hill, who is doing much for the development of our mining interests, has sent out a prospecting party, composed of six men.

"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, May 29, 1899, page 3


    The old Clarenden Hotel property, on the west side of the track, was sold by the sheriff at Jacksonville Saturday, under foreclosure of the mortgage on it. It was bid in for Frank H. Ray of New York at $665. It is said that an interesting legal controversy over the property is likely to arise.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, December 11, 1899, page 3


    Dr. Ray. who bonded the Swinden ledge in Gold Hill district, has a force of 15 men at work on the property, and the 10-stamp mill is being run to its fullest capacity. Indirect information conveys the belief that this season's output will be large, and it is also reported that Dr. Ray will take the mine under the bond..
"Southern Oregon Mining Notes," Oregonian, Portland, December 31, 1899, page 10



    Dr. Jas. Braden, who bonded the Swinden mine, was up from Gold Hill Thursday. He says Dr. Ray, to whom he bonded the mine, is operating the ten-stamp mill up to its capacity, considering all the drawbacks incident to the situation and a changeable winter. The doctor is running a concentrator in connection with the mill and saving the sulphurets. Dr. Braden says there is talk of putting in a cyanide of chloridization plant at the mill.

"The Mining Activity," Ashland Tidings, January 22, 1900, page 2


    C. R. Ray is operating the Braden mine and mill to their greatest extent. Kellogg & Darling have taken the contract to deliver 500 cords of wood at the mill.

"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, March 30, 1900, page 5


    T. H. Ray, a millionaire of New York City, who has purchased a long list of mining property in this vicinity through his brother, Dr. C. Ray, is expected soon on a visit to his brother and a tour of inspection and for new investments. He is president of a New York corporation capitalized at $42,000,000.

"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, April 13, 1900, page 3


    Capital furnished to develop mines. Send average samples by express, prepaid, and full particulars. Dr. Ray, Gold Hill.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, April 20, 1900, page 7


    W. P. Wright, a mining engineer of large experience, has been engaged for some time in surveying claims for Dr. C. R. Ray, near Gold Hill. According to the mining record, Dr. Ray is perhaps the largest locator of claims in the district. The Dr. is a practical man and a rustler, and evidently in the mining business to stay. In addition to holding large interests in the Gold Hill and Blackwell districts, he owns a number of valuable claims at Elk Creek. It is the opinion of many who have examined the Elk Creek discoveries that the district will prove to be another Bohemia, fully as rich and extensive, and no more difficult or expensive to work. Both are smelting districts, with large veins from three to twelve feet wide, and both carry more or less free gold from erosion and oxidation. . . . Elk Creek was discovered only a couple of years ago, yet it already gives promise of becoming one of the leading mining sections in the country. Much of the ore, though base as a Bohemia, like Bohemia is high grade, and some of it very rich. Dr. Ray intends to fully develop his holdings at Elk Creek, and is sanguine of the future of the district.
Medford Mail, May 11, 1900, page 1


    Dr. Ray, of Gold Hill, is by far the largest operator in quartz in Southern Oregon. He has more locations than any other man, more men at work and more ledges in course of development. He commenced to operate in quartz here something like a year and a half ago, and has spent about $40,000 in testing the veins of the district. This is not intended to mean that his experience has cost him this amount, for while he was spending largely in development work, he was at the same time taking out a lot of money. And what is encouraging to the Dr. is the conviction that he has about reached a point where he believes the field will ripen into a large paying enterprise. He has opened onto a vein of high-grade ore, 15 feet wide, at the Swinden mine, where the mill is located, and expects fine results from it. The Dr. has large, and what he believes to be valuable, quartz holdings in the Elk Creek district, and believing it similar to the Bohemia district, now attracting so much attention, visited the latter district and made a careful examination of it with a view to a comparison with the Elk Creek section. In conversation with Mr. Ray last week we were informed that the conditions, volcanic evidences, surroundings, size and general trend of ledges and vein matter of Bohemia were almost identical with the Elk Creek district. He is more encouraged than ever with Elk Creek and believes it to be the coming Southern Oregon district. The Dr. has 60 men at work with a payroll of $2,500 a month.
Medford Mail, July 6, 1900, page 1


    Mr. and Mrs. C. R Ray returned from San Francisco this week. He is daily expecting a cyanide plant, which will be placed in position below the Braden mill to work on the tailings of the above mill. On account of the ore containing a large percent of base metal, the fan milling process was not able to save only the fan gold.
"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, December 7, 1900, page 3


    Dr. C. R. Ray requests us to say through the columns of the News that
he has in his employ Mr. C. E. Smith of San Francisco, a reliable assayer and mineralogist, and he will assay any gold-bearing rock prospectors may bring in, free of charge. Dr. Ray also states that he will furnish money to develop prospects for an interest in the same.
Gold Hill News, May 25, 1901, page 1


    Dr. C. R. Ray's quartz mill has closed down waiting for repairs.

"Kanes Creek Items," Medford Mail, March 29, 1901, page 5


    Mrs. Dr. Ray and daughters came out from Gold Hill Friday to visit the Roaring Gimlet mine, which Dr. Ray has purchased.

"Kanes Creek Items," Medford Mail, June 7, 1901, page 5


    The Roaring Gimlet mine, situated near Gold Hill, which in recent months has been one of the most talked-of mines in Oregon, and which has created a mild sensation in mining circles in Jackson County, has been purchased by Dr. C. R. Ray for $10,000; $8000 cash in hand and the balance in monthly installments. The history of the Roaring Gimlet mine is quite interesting. Several years ago a pocket of about $1000 was found on the surface of what is now known as the Roaring Gimlet. No further development work was done on the claim until this spring, when two Germans from California became interested in the property and commenced working it. When a depth of thirty-five feet had been reached another pocket was discovered, which in two days yielded the fortunate owners $3200. Since then the history of the Roaring Gimlet has been one continued story of rich pockets, which netted the two German miners about $15,000, $5000 of which was taken out a few days before the sale of the property to Dr. Ray. The Germans believe they have got all there is in it, but it is not at all unlikely that under a systematic development the property will yet be made to yield the present owner many times the money paid for it. It is stated that the prospect has every appearance of outrivaling the historic Gold Hill pocket, from which $150,000 was taken in a few days. Much interest is now being centered in the old abandoned claims in the various mining districts in Southern Oregon, and it is not unlikely that the near future will witness an activity in the mines of this section such as has not been seen since the early days of the gold discovery near Jacksonville.
"City Happenings," Medford Mail, June 14, 1901, page 7


Wanted
    Man and wife (no children) to work on small ranch, 40 acres. Man handy with horses and about ranch and garden; woman to do general housework for small family. Address
DR. C. R. RAY,
    Gold Hill, Ore.
Medford Mail, June 21, 1901, page 5


    The Roaring Gimlet mine continues to show up well. As high as $50 to the pan has been taken out several times within the last few days.

"Gold Hill Items,"
Medford Mail, July 5, 1901, page 3

Frank H. Ray, September 1, 1963 Medford Mail Tribune
Frank H. Ray in the early 1900s, from the September 1, 1963 Medford Mail Tribune

    Frank H. Ray of New York, a brother of Dr. C. R. Ray of Gold Hill, has acquired the Braden mine, located in Kanes Creek district, together with 320 acres of land contiguous. The deed, which shows a consideration of $7500, was recorded last week.
"Local Notes," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, July 11, 1901, page 7


    C. R. Ray, with several mining experts, left for Elk Creek district Monday, on a tour of inspection.

"Gold Hill Items,"
Medford Mail, July 12, 1901, page 3


    It is reported that Col. Frank H. Ray of New York, who was a large stockholder in the Seventh National Bank of that city, which recently collapsed, has instructed his brother, Dr. C. R. Ray, who represents him here, to suspend all of his operations in southern Oregon. His misfortune is to be regretted, in more ways than one.

"Local Notes,"
Democratic Times, Jacksonville, July 18, 1901, page 7


    Dr. C. R. Ray left Tuesday for New York City on a business trip.
    Mr. Blakely, the mining expert of New York City, has been looking over the Ray company's properties in this district for the past few days. He left Seattle Tuesday and will return here in about ten days.
    Engineer J. S. Howard has located his camp at Maple Spring, just below Tolo, in surveying the Ray canal. It is to be of large dimension, crossing Bear Creek at Tolo, tapping the desert and Eagle Point, and heading at the falls near Prospect.

"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, August 2, 1901, page 3


    Dr. and Mrs. C. R. Ray, of Gold Hill, were in Medford Wednesday. The doctor has but recently returned from quite an extended visit to New York City, where he went upon mining business connected with his extensive interests around Gold Hill. He also visited the exposition. The weather, he says, was extremely tropical, and he was right glad to get back to the land where the cauldron is not always at a boiling temperature. During his absence Mrs. Ray and the children visited in Seattle.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, August 30, 1901, page 6


    J. S. Howard came in from his surveying party Tuesday morning. The party, with C. J. Howard in charge, is now at work on Rogue River, near the Trail Creek post office. This is the enterprise in which Dr. Ray of Gold Hill, is interested and which has for its intended purpose the floating of logs from upper Rogue River to points along that stream--possibly to salt water. The survey is being made preliminary to dredging and rock blasting which will be necessary at many points.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, September 27, 1901, page 7


    Dr. Ray's brother has arrived from the East, and work will probably commence at the mines in a few weeks.

"Kanes Creek Items," Medford Mail, October 11, 1901, page 5


    Col. Frank H. Ray, of New York City, who is in Gold Hill upon a visit to his brother, Dr. C. R. Ray, was in Medford Tuesday upon business. Mr. Ray is several times a millionaire and is vice president of the Continental Tobacco trust. He has quite extensive interests here in company with his brother, many of which promise big returns to their promoters and of general good to Southern Oregon.
    J. C. Lewis, of Bluffs, Ill., is in Southern Oregon upon a visit to his brother-in-law, Dr. Cr. R. Ray, and family. Mr. Lewis is very favorably impressed with our country and, if he can dispose of his Illinois property to an advantage, he will move here and invest in Southern Oregon's unequalled fruit land and grow red and yellow apples from the pattern upon which Southern Oregon has a copyright.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, October 18, 1901, page 6


    The Braden mine and mill will begin operations again the first of the month with a force of about 40 men.

"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, October 25, 1901, page 3


    C. R. Ray has purchased the Kesterson farm on Rogue River, four miles above here, consideration $7000. He intends to stock it up with thoroughbred stock of all kinds.

"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, February 7, 1902, page 3


    W. F. Hunter, the civil engineer and draftsman who is in Medford at work upon maps for Dr. Ray's Gold Hill mining company, is turning out some very fine work .The gentleman was detailed last fall to make a correct map of Rogue River from its source to its mouth. He started out upon his trip in a small boat with one assistant, and in thirty-two days he had made the entire trip. While en route his assistant quit, and he was compelled to pick up another man for the remainder of the trip, which change of help gives Mr. Hunter the distinction of having been the first man who ever traversed the entire length of the stream. In making the trip he took account of all rapids and falls, crooks and bends, all obstructions in the river channels and as well the topography of the country for some distance on either side of the river. The trip has given to Oregon map makers many facts regarding the Rogue River which have heretofore been unknown, as a good part of the river had never before been mapped. For instance, the only perpendicular falls on the river are near Mt. Reuben [Rainie Falls], where the water falls twelve feet; the narrowest place is ten miles above the confluence of Mule Creek, where the river is but fifteen feet wide; at Horseshoe Bend, which does not show on any map previously made, the river makes a loop, and so sharp is it that at one point a stone can easily be thrown across the land around which the river runs, while by the river the distance is fully a mile. The Devil's Stairs, which are on the old pack trail, are indeed a curious bit of early-day crude engineering. Here the trail doubles upon itself in climbing the mountain, and so close are the trails, one above the other, that a horseman could easily step from the trail above onto a horse on the trail below. It is right in here where the river narrows to about thirty feet and passes between mountain walls fully 3000 feet high. So dark is it in this passage that during the early forenoon a person in a boat on the water can, by looking upwards, see the stars as plainly as at midnight. All of these facts were noted by Mr. Hunter upon the trip he made, and the fact that nearly all of them are inside of the forty miles of the unexplored portion of the river makes his map just that much more valuable. Another peculiar fact exists regarding the river, and that is that the volume of water does not increase to any perceptible degree from the source of the river until the Illinois River empties into it. The evaporation seems to take up the added supply from the main river's tributaries. Mr. Hunter found in the forty miles of unexplored distance not more than half a dozen people, and these were miners. Further down he found a great number of settlers--all very nice people--who were anxiously awaiting the coming of some enterprise which would happen their way and better their conditions.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, February 7, 1902, page 7


    Frank H. Ray, the New York capitalist, through his brother, Dr. Ray, has bonded the Waite or Kesterson place, situated near Gold Hill, for $12,000. It contains several hundred acres of land, which are supposed to be rich in mineral.

"Mining News," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, February 20, 1902, page 1


    Dr. Ray is making some substantial improvements on the Braden farm in the line of fencing, which when done will add greatly to the appearance of the place.
"Kanes Creek Items," Medford Mail, March 7, 1902, page 5


    Mr. Hunter, the civil engineer and draftsman for Dr. C. R. Ray, has moved his office from Medford to Gold Hill. He's a fine fellow, and a splendid workman, that man Hunter, and the Mail regrets that his temporary stay among us could not have been made permanent.

"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, March 7, 1902, page 6


For Rent.
    Small and large farms. Address Dr. C. R. Ray, Gold Hill, Oregon.
Medford Mail, March 14, 1902, page 6


    Mrs. C. R. Ray of Gold Hill has returned from Portland, accompanied by her daughter Ida, who has been attending St. Helen's Hall.

"Southern Oregon News," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, April 10, 1902, page 1


    Surveyors J. S. Howard and W. F. Hunter have been engaged with a crew of men running lines and platting the Braden mining property for C. R. Ray.
"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, April 25, 1902, page 3


    Elmer Higinbotham is working for Dr. Ray at the Braden mine. Quite a force of men are now engaged at work in the mine.

"Kanes Creek Items," Medford Mail, July 11, 1902, page 5


    J. S. Howard, after a short visit at home, has resumed surveying for Dr. Ray, in the vicinity of Gold Hill.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville,
August 7, 1902, page 5


    Mr. and Mrs. Vincent, who have been engaged cooking for Dr. Ray at the Braden mine, have moved back to Gold Hill.

"Kanes Creek Items," Medford Mail, August 8, 1902, page 5


Wanted--
    Man and wife; man to drive and take care of horses, woman to cook and do general housework. Address
DR. C. R. RAY,
        Tolo, Oregon.
Medford Mail, August 29, 1902, page 2


    It is reported that C. A. Pankey has sold his lower Table Rock farm to C. R. Ray, but we cannot verify the report.

J. C. Pendleton, "Table Rock Items," Medford Mail, August 29, 1902, page 3


    Mrs. C. R. Ray, of Gold Hill, was in the city this week .The lady informs us that the doctor and the whole family have moved from Gold Hill to the dam, near Tolo, where they will reside, for a time at least. Mrs. Ray is desirous of renting residence property in Medford for occupancy for herself and children during the next school year. Their oldest daughter will attend school at St. Helen's Hall, Portland, and the three younger children will attend the Medford high school.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, August 29, 1902, page 6


    Mrs. C. R. Ray of Tolo went to Portland this week, accompanied by her daughter, Miss Inez, who will attend St. Helen's Hall during the coming year.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, September 25, 1902, page 2


    Ex-Sheriff Orme and family have removed to Gold Hill, Mr. Orme having been appointed general superintendent of all mines owned by Dr. C. R. Ray and associates.
"Jacksonville News," Medford Mail, October 3, 1902, page 3


    Ex-Sheriff Orme has been tendered and has accepted the position of general superintendent of the mines owned and controlled by Dr. C. R. Ray, of Gold Hill, which properties are located at various points in Jackson and Josephine counties. Both Dr. Ray and Mr. Orme are to be congratulated in this connection--Alex, because he has secured a position for which he is so well fitted by experience and inclination, and the doctor because he has found a superintendent who combines thirty years of experience in mining in Southern Oregon with the ability and integrity needful in a superintendent of the various important enterprises which will be under his control.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, October 3, 1902, page 7


    Mrs. Jennings sold her farm of four hundred acres last week to Dr. Ray. We have not learned to just what use the doctor proposes to put it, but Richard Jennings will have charge of it for a time, at least.
J. C. Pendleton, "Table Rock Items," Medford Mail, October 17, 1902, page 3


    Mr. Smith, the assayer, who has been in the employ of C. R. Ray the past year, left Wednesday for Arizona to spend the winter.

"Gold Hill Items," Medford Mail, October 17, 1902, page 3


    I. E. DeBoy of Gold Hill was in Medford Friday. He is now in charge of Dr. Ray's store and restaurant at Tolo.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville, October 23, 1902, page 3


    R. H. Jennings of Table Rock spent a few hours in town Thursday. He is in charge of the farm bought of his mother by Dr. Ray.
"Medford Squibs," Democratic Times, Jacksonville,
November 6, 1902, page 2


    Dr. C. R. Ray, of the Condor Water and Power Co., was on Tuesday's southbound morning train, en route to San Francisco on a business trip.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, December 5, 1902, page 6


    Mrs. Dr. Ray came up from the power site Wednesday and spent the day shopping.
"Purely Personal," Medford Mail, December 12, 1902, page 6


Testimony Was Taken Wednesday.
    Testimony in the case of Ray vs. Griffin was taken Wednesday and argument will be heard as soon as the reporters' notes have been extended. This is a suit growing out of the purchase of the Griffin property at Tolo by Dr. C. R. Ray and was brought originally to restrain Mr. Griffin from removing a certain amount of hay from the premises. In connection with this comes the question of other land at Tolo, which Dr. Ray contends he bought or at least should have been included in the purchase of the property. Mr. Griffin's contention is that when he sold the property to Dr. Ray last summer he reserved, or told, of certain lots sold in Tolo during the "boom days" of that proposed city. A number of deeds, both warranty and bond, had been given for lots in the townsite, and it is for these Dr. Ray says he should have received at the time of his purchase. This question will come before the court in the near future.
Medford Mail, December 19, 1902, page 2


Sheriff After Stolen Horse.
    MEDFORD, Or., Jan. 15.--(Special.)--Deputy Sheriff John Humphrey, who has been acting as special officer at the Ray dam, was in Medford today in search of a horse, saddle and bridle stolen from the barn on Kesterson ranch, owned by Dr. C. R. Ray. The horse was placed in the barn Wednesday and was missed at daylight this morning. The news was telephoned along the line, but nothing has been heard of the animal. An employee at the dam is suspected, and as officers cannot locate him they think the suspicion is well founded. This is probably one of the gang that has been operated between Washington and Redding, Cal., the past five months.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, January 16, 1903, page 3



    Dr. C. R. Ray, a resident of Gold Hill for the past six years, has been quietly buying up everything that seemed to be a good purchase in the way of mining property and water rights until he now owns, so I am told, half the mining territory just around the town. His brother, C. P. Ray [sic], of New York, and associates became largely interested with him and as a consequence a great deal of money has been invested here and much more is to follow. The scope of operations which this company intends to carry on include the damming of Rogue River at Gold Ray, about three miles from here, and using the water for power purposes on a large scale. This dam has been in course of construction during the past year, and will probably be completed this coming summer, and when completed will give an aggregate of 6000 horsepower. This enterprise will cost about $300,000, and the capital employed all comes from New York. The Condor Water & Power Company has its head office in Gold Hill, with C. R. Ray president and W. T. Hunter secretary. Between solid rock walls heavy cribs of timber have been bolted and filled with cemented gravel. The total height of the dam will [be] 20 feet, and its length 432 feet. At present only two turbine wheels will be put in, of 500 horsepower each, and as the turbines arrived here this week, by August 1 next it is expected the 1000 horsepower will be developed. One wheel's power will be electrified and carried to the several mines in the vicinity, one in particular being owned by the Ray Brothers, known as the Braden mine, and the stamp capacity will be increased, making 20 stamps. Ten stamps will also be operated at the power dam. The other wheel will be used for elevating water by means of large centrifugal pumps to an altitude of 300 to 400 feet and carried in ditches for mining and irrigation. As soon as the power of the first two wheels is all used more wheels will be installed. I asked Dr. Ray what would probably be his scale of prices, and he said the company had not adopted any scale yet, but it would be cheaper than steam power. The railroad station at the power dam has been named "Gold Ray," and is now a flag station of the Southern Pacific Railroad and has a telephone office there.
"Gold Hill, Oregon," Oregonian, Portland, March 27, 1903, page 14


FORMED OF SPORT-LOVERS.
Gold Ray Rod and Gun Club Is Organized in Southern Oregon.
    MEDFORD, Or., Sept. 25.--(Special.)--Dr. C. R. Ray invited about 50 Jackson and Josephine county gentlemen who are interested in hunting and fishing to his apartments near the Gold Ray Dam, 12 miles from Medford, for the purpose of organizing a rod and gun club, the object of which would be the advancement of sport on the fields and streams of the two counties.
    The party assembled in the banquet hall, and temporary organization was effected by the election of A. E. Reames, of Jacksonville, as chairman, and J. L. Hammersley, of Gold Hill, as secretary. It was resolved to form an incorporation, with a capital stock of $5000, divided into shares of $25 each. It is the purpose of the organization to build and equip a clubhouse and boathouse on the lake formed by the dam of the Condor Water & Power Company, and to place boats upon the lake, the club to have exclusive right to hunting and fishing on its waters.
    John S. Orth, of Jacksonville, A. S. Hammond, of Grants Pass, [and] J. Court Hall, of Medford, were appointed a committee to secure members. Up to the present time they have secured about 40. The club will be known as the Gold Ray Rod and Gun Club.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, September 26, 1903, page 4



Mine Operated by Electricity.
    MEDFORD, Or., Feb. 12.--(Special.)--The Condor Water & Power Company, of Gold Ray, is preparing to install a 20-stamp mill at the Braden mine. The mill will be operated from electric power from the Gold Ray plant, conducted over a line four miles in length. Drills, hoists and other machinery about the mine will be operated by electricity. This will be the only mine in the state whose machinery will be operated by electricity.
    The Braden mine, which is located near Gold Hill, has been a good producer in the past, and there are now several thousand tons of ore blocked out, ready to be mined when the new equipment is in place, which is expected to be in a few weeks.

Morning Oregonian, Portland, February 13, 1904, page 7


Good Cheer at Gold Ray.
    GOLD RAY, Or., July 31.--(Special.)--Good cheer reigned supreme at Gold Ray last night, it being the first meeting of the Gold Ray Rod and Gun Club for the season. Members from Ashland, Medford, Jacksonville, Gold Hill, Grants Pass and Eagle Point were present, to the number of 50.
    The broad verandas, the full moon and the roaring Rogue River all tended to add pleasure to the evening. After a sumptuous banquet, singing and cards were indulged in. A business session was held, at which plans were made for keeping the clubhouse open continuously during the summer and employing a chef regularly. Many of the members come to Gold Ray regularly to spend a day in trout fishing or boating on the lake above the dam.
Oregonian, Portland, August 1, 1904, page 4

Condor Water & Power Co., Medford, Oregon, August 19, 1904 Medford Mail
August 19, 1904 Medford Mail

Condor Water & Power Co., Medford, Oregon, August 19, 1904 Medford Mail
August 19, 1904 Medford Mail


    The eleventh birthday of Frank Ray, son of Dr. and Mrs. C. R. Ray, was celebrated last Thursday evening by a party given to a number of his young friends. The guests on their arrival were met by the young host and after removing their wraps escorted to the parlors which were handsomely decorated in red and white. When the company had assembled games, music, etc., were indulged in until the supper hour arrived, when the young folks sat down to a dainty repast, to which they did full justice, as is the youthful custom. Each little guest was presented with a handsome and appropriate favor as a souvenir of the occasion, which all join in saying was one of the most enjoyable of the season. Those present were: Masters William Vawter, Cary Bundy, Vernon Vawter, Seely Hall, Loyd Elwood, Chas. Boydon, Merrill Kellogg, Sterling Rothermel, Justine Eifert, Fred Deuel, Frank Bay; Misses Fern Hutchison, Pansy Carney, Helen Coss, Hazel Davis, Loraine Bliton, Freda Hockenjos, Gertrude Fay, Zela White, Lucine Magill, Agnes Isaacs, Eula Jacobs, Gladys Curry.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, February 17, 1905, page 5


    Tuesday morning Hon. W. I. Vawter and Dr. C. R. Ray came near having a serious accident. They had started for Jacksonville in a buggy, when one of the front wheels of the vehicle ran off and the horse ran away. In front of the Globe Saloon, on D Street, the buggy collided with a sign post, throwing both gentlemen out. Although pretty severely bruised and shaken up, it is not thought that they are seriously injured, still both are confined to their homes and Dr. Pickel is in attendance. Mr. Vawter's chest came in contact with the post and he is suffering considerably, and has some fever. Dr. Ray is improving and will undoubtedly be all right within a few days.

"City Happenings," Medford Mail, October 6, 1905, page 5


From The Sketch, Sept. 14, 1907

FIVE HURT IN RUNAWAY
Medford Family Has Accident in Crater Lake Park.

    KLAMATH FALLS, Or., Sept. 2.--(Special.)--Dr. C. R. Ray, his wife, two sons and one daughter, of Medford, were victims of a runaway accident at Crater Lake National Park Saturday. Mrs. Ray suffered injuries to her hip, Miss Mabel sustained a fractured jaw, and other members of the party escaped with slight injuries.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, September 3, 1908, page 6


    Colonel Frank Ray is expected to arrive here about the 15th of this month and will occupy his clubhouse during his stay, which will probably be several weeks.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail, September 11, 1908, page 5



DR. RAY'S NEW HOUSE
    Dr. C. R. Ray has the framework of his new residence up, and the carpenters will soon have it enclosed. The dwelling will be 42x61 feet in size and two stories high. There will be ten rooms, not including bath and closets. There will be a double-decked porch across the front and part way on two sides. These porches will each be 9x76 [sic] feet in size, and the second story will be screened in and used for summer sleeping apartments. There will also be a 12x20-foot screened-in porch at the rear of the house.
    The interior will be finished in Oregon fir and this stained. The interior will be very conveniently arranged, and the rooms will all be large, with large, massive stairs leading to the second story from both the living and dining rooms. The cost of the building will be about $4500 and the site chosen for it is on what is known as the Crowell tract, on West Seventh street. C. D. Lyons is the architect.
Medford Mail, October 9, 1908, page 1


WILL PLANT MANY TREES
Several Thousand Fruit Trees Ordered by the Gold Ray Realty Co.
    The Gold Ray Realty Company is planning to plant many thousands of fruit trees out this fall and as a primary order they have ordered 2500 Spitzenburg trees, 2500 Newtowns, 1000 Bartletts, 334 Comice, 334 d'Anjous and 334 Howell trees, in all 5000 apples and 2000 pears.
    This is but the first step taken by this company to improve many acres of its land in the valley by setting out fruit. The project as planned by the company is an immense one, and one that will tend to build up the valley rapidly.
    After a large acreage has been set out to fruit it is planned to bring settlers from the East.
    The trees were purchased from L. E. Hover of the Yakima Valley Nursery Company.
Medford Daily Tribune, October 15, 1908, page 1


IMMENSE COLONY IS PLANNED
Scheme to Set Out 10,000 Acres in Trees in Jackson County.
    MEDFORD, Or., Dec. 9.--(Special.)--A huge colonization scheme for Jackson County lands has been planned by Colonel Ray, of New York City. Mr. Ray is owner of the Condor Water & Power plant and various other properties in this county. It is his intention to have planted on one of the large tracts held by his company 75,000 fruit trees annually and continue until 10,000 acres have been planted.
    He plans to place the land under irrigation, the facilities for which he now controls. The project has long been a favorite with Colonel Ray, who is doing it not from a desire to enrich himself so much as a desire to furnish small tracts for employees of the American Tobacco Company, of which he is vice-president.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, December 10, 1908, page 10


    Another elaborate country home is that of Colonel F. H. Ray, of New York, built originally as a clubhouse, above the dam across Rogue River, at Gold Ray, but since remodeled and made into one of the most attractive homes of the valley. The house overlooks the falls of the dam, and the music of the falling waters can be heard constantly. Over the dam can be seen the lake and the wide stretch of the valley, with Mt. McLoughlin in the distance. The house is most elaborately equipped with electrical devices of all kinds; also a complete refrigerator plant. This home is also tastefully and elaborately furnished: a unique feature is the bathroom, which is studded on side walls and ceiling with incandescent lights, over 2000 bulbs being used.
"Beautiful Homes in Rogue River Valley," Oregonian, Portland, May 9, 1909, page F4



THE RAY BROTHERS

    Col. Frank Ray, of New York City, vice-president of the American Tobacco Company, chairman of the Western Power Company, and a power in Wall Street, was the pioneer booster of the Rogue River Valley in the East and the first New York man to show his confidence in the future by making a large investment. His attention was called to the water power possibilities of the Rogue by his brother, Dr. C. R. Ray, who fell in love with the valley at first sight over a decade ago, and the brothers have together since invested over two millions in the valley. Besides the Rogue River Electric Company, Gold Ray Dam and power houses and several hundred miles of power lines, they own a number of mines and several thousand acres of land as well as much choice realty in the various cities of the valley.
    Their latest undertaking was the formation of the Orchard Home Company, the planing, subdivision, caring for and selling on easy terms of choice orchard tracts for the purpose of enabling men of small means in the East to acquire fruit holdings.
    The Ray brothers are developers on a large scale. They have recently opened a granite quarry at Gold Ray and ship fine building and monumental granite to San Francisco, Portland and other cities, as well as supply crushed rock for road building. They have also just established a large sawmill and cut into lumber timber they float down the Rogue from their timber holdings on the upper stream. They expect to cut up several million feet of logs the coming summer.
    The Ray brothers own what is probably the greatest water power site in the world. By means of a conduit less than a mile long, they can divert the waters of the upper Rogue and secure a perpendicular drop of 700 feet, which will guarantee 100,000 horsepower, many times the amount now developed in all of Oregon.
    Colonel Ray has fitted up the spacious and elegant club house overlooking the Gold Ray Dam as a summer residence and spends his spring and summer there, returning to New York for the winter. Dr. Ray has an ideal home in Medford where his general offices are located.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 2, 1910, page 10
Dr. C. R. Ray, February 6, 1910 Sunday Oregonian
February 6, 1910 Sunday Oregonian


TOLO IS FAST BECOMING AN INDUSTRIAL CENTER
Fast Getting in Shape To Manufacture All Kinds of Building Material,
Which Includes Lumber, Brick, Granite and Sand--
For First Time in Valley Systematic Attempt Is Being To Develop Latent Resources of Valley--
Development Due to Enterprise of Ray Brothers.
    Tolo, long the butt of theatrical companies and a joke among the towns of the Rogue River Valley, bids fair to become the construction city of Southern Oregon, the city with the steady payrolls, the city where things are made that make other cities.
    After a long period of lethargy, which followed the completion of the power plant at Gold Ray, Tolo has taken on a new lease of life, extensive civic improvements are planned, the town rebuilt, streets macadamized and water and sewer systems installed.
    Tolo owes its awakening to Colonel Frank Ray and Dr. C. R. Ray, who have started out to make it an industrial center. They have established in the last few months three industries, each of which will give employment to from 50 to 150 men, and each of which represents an investment exceeding $50,000. For the first time in the history of the valley a systematic effort is being made to develop the latent resources which have been gazed on since time began, without an effort to utilize.
Three Great Industries.
    The initial one of these enterprises, which are to be followed by others of similar nature, was the opening up of a large granite quarry, which will furnish fine building rock for the cities of the country as well as supplying a limitless quantity of crushed rock for street and road improvement.
    Second on the list is a lumber mill housing $40,000 worth of machinery for cutting up the logs which are floated downstream from the forests of the upper Rogue into lumber for use in building up the cities of the valley.
    Third and latest of the enterprises is the establishment of a large brick and tile manufactory, which will have a capacity of 100,000 bricks per day and which will go far to relieve the shortage in building materials caused by the building boom in Medford. This factory will be ready for business about July 1.
The Granite Quarry.
    All three of the enterprises are located along the line of the Southern Pacific between Tolo and Gold Ray. Power is furnished by the power plant at Gold Ray, which also pumps the necessary water. The 150 workmen employed at present are housed in a tent city at Tolo or at Gold Ray.
    A year or so ago the Rays began the development, in a small way, of the quarry on the hill south and west of the dam, just above the curve of the railroad track. Since then development has shown the existence of a practically limitless quantity of the finest building stone. Thousands of dollars' worth of the latest quarrying machinery has been installed, and a large force of men are kept busy cutting stone, drilling and quarrying the rock. The most improved crushing machinery has recently been installed, and several carloads of fine crushed rock are being shipped daily. Practically a thousand cars of crushed rock have already been contracted for--700 for Medford, 200 for Grants Pass and 100 miscellaneous. In addition, it is expected to supply Ashland and the county. Building stone from the quarry is being used in the new Episcopal church and block at Medford, as well as in the new Ray building, under construction. The rock also finds a market in San Francisco and Portland.
Logging Operations Begin.
    This week logging operations begin on a large scale on the upper Rogue, and between 4,000,000 and 5,000,000 feet of logs will be floated down to the river to the mill. Lumbermen for years past pronounced logging impractical on the Rogue, but experimental drives made by the Ray Bros. during the past two years have proved it feasible. Rock have been blasted from the river channel, and contractor Pankey expects to have little trouble in bringing down the present drive.
    The mill is situated between the railroad and the lake, formed by the dam. The logs are driven to the mill in water; here they are cut up and placed aboard cars and the lumber distributed throughout Southern Oregon. The mill was erected late last fall, and all the machinery is most modern and up to date. It has a capacity of 100,000 feet per day.
Brick and Tile Worked.
    The brick and tile works are located a quarter of a mile south along the edge of the lake. The Southern Pacific is now building a side track to the works. Clay, of which a large deposit exists at the site of the kilns, will also be brought from the old Price ranch by means of an electric trolley line, which will be constructed for the purpose. Tests show that both these deposits of clay make excellent brick and tiling.
    In addition to supplying lumber, brick, cut stone and crushed rock for cement work, it is the intention also to supply sand for building purposes, and a large pump is being installed to pump sand from the sandbar in the lake into cars at the quarry side track. Thus nearly all essentials for building will be manufactured at Tolo.
Macadamized Roads.
    The road between Tolo and Gold Ray is being macadamized, considerable stretches having already been permanently improved. The surplus power at the dam is used to pump water for irrigating several thousand acres of orchard which is being planted on the foothills west of Tolo. Some eight miles of eight- and six-inch pipe have been laid, and it is the intention to extend this system south toward Central Point, making it possible to irrigate this section of the valley. The water from this system will supply the town of Tolo, which is to be rebuilt on modern lines.
Pioneers in Development.
    The Ray brothers are pioneers in the development of the resources of the country. They are showing what can be done with the native materials, and their example will undoubtedly be followed by others, for no section of the world offers more opportunity along these lines of development than the Rogue River Valley. They are also setting a good example in building macadamized roads and will be able to furnish crushed rock sufficient for all the roads in the county.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 12, 1910, page 4

Col. Frank H. Ray 1910-1-2MMT
Medford Mail Tribune, January 2, 1910

THE RAY BROTHERS
    Col. Frank Ray, of New York City, vice-president of the American Tobacco Company, chairman of the Western Power Company, and a power in Wall Street, was the pioneer booster of the Rogue River Valley in the East and the first New York man to show his confidence in the future of the valley by making a large investment. His attention was called to the water power possibilities of the Rogue by his brother, Dr. C. R. Ray, who fell in love with the valley at first sight, over a decade ago, and the brothers have together since invested over two millions in the valley. Beside the Rogue River Electric Company, Gold Ray Dam and power houses and several hundred miles of power lines, they own a number of mines and several thousand acres of land as well as much choice realty in the various cities of the valley.
    Their latest undertaking was the formation of the Orchard Home Company, the planting, subdivision, caring for and selling on easy terms of choice orchard tracts, for the purpose of enabling men of small means in the East to acquire fruit holdings.
    The Ray Brothers are developers on a large scale. They have recently opened a granite quarry at Gold Ray and ship fine building and monumental granite to San Francisco, Portland and other cities, as well as supply crushed rock for road building. They have also just established a large sawmill and cut into lumber timber they float down the Rogue from their timber holdings on the upper stream. They expect to cut up several million feet of logs the coming summer.
    The Ray Brothers own what is probably the greatest water power site in the world. By means of a conduit, less than a mile long, they can divert the waters of the upper Rogue and secure a perpendicular drop of 700 feet, which will guarantee 100,000 horsepower, many times the amount now developed in all of Oregon.
    Colonel Ray has fitted up the spacious and elegant club house overlooking the Gold Ray Dam as a summer residence and spends his spring and summer there, returning to New York for the winter. Dr. Ray has an ideal home in Medford, where his general offices are located.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 2, 1910, page B10

Dr. Charles R. Ray, September 1, 1963 Medford Mail Tribune
September 1, 1963 Medford Mail Tribune

    Tolo owes its awakening to Colonel Frank Ray and Dr. C. R. Ray, who have started out to make it an industrial center. They have established in the last few months three industries, each of which will give employment to from 50 to 150 men, and each of which represents an investment exceeding $50,000. For the first time in the history of the valley a systematic effort is being made to develop the latent resources which have been gazed on since time began, without an effort to utilize.
"Tolo Is Fast Becoming an Industrial Center," Medford Mail Tribune, May 12, 1910, page 4


BANGS BANGED; RAY IS LOCKLESS
Unhappy Youth Now Nurses Bald Spot where "Cowlicks" Once Grew
in Luxuriant Profusion--Hazers and Clippers Cause the Change.
    As the result of an encounter with a band of high school "hazers" last night, Frank Ray sat through the last two acts of "A Man's World" at the Medford theater with his pompadour brushed stiffly back from his classic brow toward the crown of his head.
    The curtain fell on the first act, and, during the intermission, Ray betook himself to the outer air, the better to cogitate upon the weighty problems continued within the play's plot.
    No sooner into the shadows of the building, however, than:
    An avalanche of humanity fell upon him from behind. His arms were pinioned to his side, and while one of the miscreants held closed his eyes another deftly amputated a furrow of silken lock from the top of his head by means of a pair of clippers. Immediately upon his release, Ray rustled up a hairbrush, deftly pasted his remaining hirsute adornment over the clipped spots in the same manner that a bald-headed man makes three or four hairs serve the purpose of an entire toupee, and resumed his seat in the theater.
    Up to a late hour last night he had not made up his mind whether to prosecute the vandals or not.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 20, 1911, page 4


Ray and Frazier to Start Cat Farm
    Before leaving for San Francisco, Col. Frank H. Ray left with Frank Frazier plans for establishing a cat farm, which promises to be a fortune maker for the promoters. A limited amount of stock is offered for a few days by Mr. Frazier.
    Colonel Ray's plan for this great money coiner shows his Wall Street training. It is as follows:
    The object of this company is to operate a large cat ranch near Tolo where land can be purchased cheaply. To start with, we will collect about, say, 100,000 cats. Each cat will average twelve kittens a year. The skins will sell for from 10 cents for the white ones to 75 cents for the pure black. We will have about 12,000,000 to sell, at an average of 30 cents apiece, making our revenue about $10,000 a day.
    A man can skin fifty cats a day. He will charge $2 a day for his labor. It will take about 100 men to operate the ranch, therefore the profit will be about $9,800 a day.
    We will feed the cats on rats, and will start a rat ranch adjoining the cat ranch. The rats will multiply four times as fast as the cats, and if we start with 100,000 rats we will have four rats a day for each cat, which is plenty.
    We will feed the cats on rats, and in turn will feed the rats on the stripped carcasses of the cats, thus giving each rat one-fourth of a cat.
    It will be seen by these figures that the business will be self-acting and automatic. The cats will eat the rats and the rats will eat the cats, and we will get the skins.
Medford Mail Tribune weekly, November 30, 1911, page 3   Due to repeated inquiries, it's apparently necessary to point out that this is a joke. Ray and Frazier had no intent to actually begin a cat farm.


COL. RAY WILL IMPROVE MINE
Sets Aside $20,000 to Develop Braden Mine--
Good Values Have Been Found Throughout All of the Apartments of the Mine.

    For 50 years the Braden mine, near Gold Hill, has been a gold-producing mine. It has produced between $600,000 and $700,000 in gold and it is still a mine, not a worked-out proposition, but a real mine possessed of probably more gold values than have ever been taken from it.
    The surface croppings have been worked out, but the real value lies lower down, and Colonel Ray, who is its present owner, is going after those values, not on the surface, but deep down on the ledges.
    Mr. Ray has set aside $20,000 to be expended in sinking a 200-foot shaft on one of the several ledges in the mine. When he shall have gone down 200 feet he will drift for 100 feet in several directions, and by doing this he hopes to have opened up one of the best gold quartz mines in southern Oregon. Dr. Ray is now at the mine with an engineer making surveys preparatory to a commencement of this work.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 23, 1912, page 3


    C. R. Ray of Medford, Ore. is at the Bellevue with his brother, Frank H. Ray. The Rays are interested in hop culture in the southern Oregon and northern California sections, and are large owners of real estate.
"News from the Hotels," San Francisco Call, February 13, 1913, page 7


MAN WHO "GRUBSTAKED" MANY PORTLAND GUEST
Dr. C. R. Ray, of Medford, Says Outlook for Production
in Southern Oregon Gold Fields Greater Than in Years.

    Dr. C. R. Ray, who has "grubstaked" more prospectors than any man in Southern Oregon and Northern California, is at the Multnomah, registered from Medford, where he is connected with the Oregon-California Power Company.
    Dr. Ray reports more mining activity in Southern Oregon than for many years, although he has forsworn the genial habit of grubstaking every fellow who said he "knew where he could find it."
    With his brother, Colonel Frank Ray, the doctor owns more mining properties than anyone else in Southern Oregon, and one of their most promising holdings is the Braden mine, on Kanes Creek, about three miles from Gold Hill, where they have a crew of 30 men at work.
    The Braden mine is equipped with a ten-stamp mill, and has a handsome record of production. Dr. Ray expects it to become one of the big producers again.
    "Development work is being pushed on the Bill Nye and the Purkeypile mine on Galls Creek, the Revenue mine on Kanes Creek, the Lucky Bart on Sardine Creek, the Nellie Wright and other properties," said Dr. Ray. "We have a crew of men at work at the Gold Hill mine, there are 60 men employed in the construction of the cement plant at Gold Hill, preparations are being made to take out rock at our granite quarry at Gold Ray for the construction of the Pacific Highway through Jackson County, and altogether the mining prospects have never been better, particularly, in the Gold Hill district."

Morning Oregonian, Portland, January 16, 1914, page 7


    Col. Frank H. Ray, father of electrical development in the Rogue River Valley, constructor of the Gold Ray and Prospect dams, as well as vice president and director of the American Tobacco Co., is visiting the Braden mine at Gold Hill, which he owns jointly with his brother, Dr. C. R. Ray. Extensive improvements are being made at the mine, new equipment installed and a macadamized highway being built from Gold Hill. As a developer, Colonel Ray is without a rival in Southern Oregon.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail Tribune, March 9, 1915, page 2


    A. M. Berdan has just completed one of the most difficult undertakings that he has had for several years in the valley. It was the moving of several pieces of heavy machinery for Dr. Ray of this city from Gold Hill to the Braden mine.

"Local and Personal," Medford Sun, April 24, 1915, page 6


    Frank H. Ray, Jr., a wood dealer of this city, has taken over the local agency for the C. W. Todd Protectograph, an article for the protection of checks. Mr. Ray still retains his wood business, but will sell this article as a sideline and will travel on the road for the company this summer.

"Local and Personal," Medford Sun, May 9, 1915, page 5



    The Braden mine is in the S.E. ¼ Sec. 27, T. 36 S., R. 3 W., at an elevation of 1350 feet, about 2 miles south of Gold Hill. It is at present (1913) one of the important mines of Jackson County. It has a 10-stamp mill equipped with a crusher, two 10-foot plates, 4 Johnson vanners, and electric motors, one of 85 horsepower being used to operate the air compressor. According to E. W. Liljegran, of Medford, the mine was located about 30 years ago by B. A. Knott, of Gold Hill, who began development, treating the ores with an arrastra. After several transfers the mine passed to Dr. James Braden, after whom it has since been called. It was sold to Dr. C. R. Ray, of Medford, in 1900; seven years later it was leased to the Opp Mining Company; it is now operated by Dr. Ray. In 1907 the mine produced more than $30,000.
Mineral Resources of Oregon, May 1916, page 41


DR. C. R. RAY SELLS 428-ACRE TRACT NEAR TABLE ROCK
    TABLE ROCK, July 14.--One of the largest real estate deals to be made in our district in many years was concluded last week when Stanley Lydiard, of this place, and his uncle, Charles Dunlay, of Lakeview, became the owners of the property commonly known as the Jennings ranch belonging to C. R. Ray. This property contains 428 acres, there being more than 300 acres in cultivation, all of which can be irrigated. The new owners will make many improvements, including new buildings, and expect to make a model stock and dairy farm of their new holdings. Of the two purchasers, we know Stanley Lydiard the best, who during his residence here has proved himself a far-sighted practical farmer who is not afraid of work and is always on the job, and we know of no one that we had rather see succeed or would chance a bet as to making good.
Medford Mail Tribune, July 14, 1919, page 5


    Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ray, who have for some time resided in Chico, Calif., have returned to Medford and will remain here. Mr. Ray will join his father, Dr. C. R. Ray, becoming a member of the Gold Ray Realty Company.

"In the Local Domain," Medford Clarion, December 14, 1923, page 7


COL. F. H. RAY, WELL KNOWN LOCALLY, PASSES IN EAST
    Colonel Frank H. Ray, well known in this city and valley, and a pioneer in the development of electric power in southern Oregon, died at his home in Huntington, N.Y., near New York City, last Saturday, April 11, 1925, according to a telegraph received by relatives in this city. Colonel Ray was a brother of Dr. Charles R. Ray, of this city, who was called east to be at his bedside.
    Colonel Ray was the principal owner of the Rogue River Electric Company, which was formerly the Condor Water and Power Company. He disposed of his interest to the California-Oregon Power Company in 1912.
    Colonel Ray made his home in this city for several months during the years of 1910 and 1912, and was a frequent visitor from 1901 to 1912.
    At one time he was vice-president of the Continental Tobacco Company, which was absorbed by the American Tobacco Company, and was a man of high financial standing.
Medford Mail Tribune, April 13, 1925, page 5


LATE COLONEL RAY GREAT FACTOR
IN LOCAL PROSPERITY
    Colonel Frank H. Ray, who died at his home at Huntington, N.Y. near New York City last Saturday, was widely known throughout southern Oregon, and scores of local people remember him well for his geniality and friendliness, and sincerely mourn his passing.
    He spent considerable time in this valley during the "boom days," and gave liberally to scores of civic movements at the time, and was a crony of George Putnam, now editor of the Salem Capital-Journal, Evan Reames, Dr. J. F. Reddy, Mose Barkdull and dozens of others identified with Medford activities 15 years ago.
    Colonel Ray, at the time of his death, was a very wealthy man, having retired from active business life several years ago. He was the owner of a patent used in the Raycycle bicycle, and he delighted to tell of the financial hardships encountered by himself and partner in placing their invention upon the market. It afterwards formed the foundation of his start in the business world.
    The master achievement of his life was the formation of the Consolidated Tobacco Company, afterwards absorbed by the American Tobacco Company. Colonel Ray worked nine months on the project, and was apparently confronted with failure. He and his wife went to Europe for a rest and vacation. When he returned to New York City the deal was closed in three days. His business ability won him recognition throughout the East, and in the early days he probably did more for the development of Medford and the Rogue River Valley than any other one man.
Medford Mail Tribune, April 15, 1925, page 5


COL. RAY'S ESTATE $961,424
Will Provides Property Is To Stay Intact for 5 Years After Death.
Special to the New York Times.
    RIVERHEAD, L.I., Aug. 3.--The estate of the late Colonel Frank Huber Ray of Manhattan and Huntington, L.I., must pay a state transfer tax of $35,073.61, according to a decree entered in the Suffolk County Surrogate's Court here today. The gross value of the estate was appraised at $2,502,268.47. Debts, cost of administration, &c., amounted to $1,540,843.92, leaving a net estate of $961,424.55.
    According to the will the estate is to be held intact until five years after the death of Colonel Ray. When the estate is divided, the widow, Mrs. Minnie G. Ray, will receive $322,836.67. A brother, Charles [Reginald] Ray of Medford, Ore., will receive $416,601.38, and the same amount is to be paid to a sister, Fanny Lewis of Bluffs, Ill. Chris McKeever, and employee of Colonel Ray, is to get $10,000. During the five-year period, the widow, brother and sister are to receive such income as is necessary to support them and McKeever is to receive his salary.
    Colonel Ray died on April 11, 1925. The largest debt of the estate was $1,250,000 owed to a New York brokerage house.
New York Times, August 4, 1925, page 38


BODY OF DR. RAY ARRIVES IN CITY, FUNERAL DELAYED
    Mr. and Mrs. Frank H. Ray arrived here from the south at 2:30 o'clock this morning with the body of Mr. Ray's father, Dr. Charles Reginald Ray, whose death last Sunday occurred in a general hospital at Hollywood, Calif., at which place the trio stopped off while en route home from New York because of Dr. Ray's sudden illness.
    At the depot here Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ray were met by the widow; a daughter, Miss Mabel Ray; Charles R. Ray, a son. Mrs. John Olwell, another daughter, has left New York City for Medford and will arrive here next Tuesday evening. For that reason the funeral services will not be held until next Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, from the Perl Funeral Home, and with Rev. E. P. Lawrence of the Presbyterian Church officiating. Full details for the funeral have not yet been completed.
    Dr. Ray's body is now resting in a solid bronze casket at the Perl Funeral Home, awaiting the funeral and interment.
    Greatly fatigued from their long journey from the East and the trying experience and worry they had passed through at Hollywood, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ray spent today in rest and retirement. Frank, between whom and his father there was a deep attachment, was especially worn out.
    It seems that Dr. Ray and Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ray returned home via the New Orleans route, that when they left New York City the former was in good health and spirits, and also when they left New Orleans for the North. But sometime later he contracted a cold which became especially pronounced when passing through Arizona.
    His condition became steadily worse, so much so that when the train reached Hollywood he was at once rushed to the hospital in that city, where he died at 5:20 p.m. on the same day.
    The cause of death was bronchial pneumonia.
Medford Mail Tribune, January 30, 1926, page 2



Medford Mail Tribune, March 25, 1910    Dr. Charles Reginald Ray, well-known pioneer of Medford and the Rogue River Valley, very suddenly passed away at Los Angeles on the night of January 26th while en route home from New  York City. His son Frank and Mrs. Frank Ray were with him at the time. They had been East attending to the estate of his brother Colonel Frank H. Ray, who died last April in Los Angeles.
    En route home the doctor contracted a cold which developed into pneumonia as they neared Los Angeles, where he was rushed to a hospital in Hollywood where he died that night.
    Dr. Ray came to Jackson County, Ore., in 1897 for the purpose of engaging in mining. He was accompanied by his family and located at Gold Hill, where he opened and conducted a mining and assay office for the handling entirely of his own mining business and employed competent mining engineers in his research work.
    Approximately $365,000 was taken from the property commonly known as the old Gold Hill property in the early mining days. This property is on the mountain overlooking the present site of the Gold Ray power plant. Dr. Ray expended intelligently a large amount of money in the development of several quartz properties in the Gold Hill section. He also developed the Braden Mine in the Kanes Creek section.
    He was greatly impressed with the Rogue River from a power standpoint and used electric power from Gold Ray to run his mines on that mountain with. He acquired the rights at Gold Ray, and, with the assistance of his brother, Frank H. Ray, harnessed the power at Gold Ray, built the Gold Ray Dam, built its power plant, and began the construction of its power lines through the valley. Realizing the future possibilities for power, he pioneered in the power development of the Rogue River.
    The public responded very rapidly. After the installation of the Gold Ray plant and the power lines had been extended into Medford, Jacksonville and Ashland, and these cities with Central Point, Gold Hill and Grants Pass had been lighted, and many mines had been supplied with power, he organized the Prospect Construction Company which acquired the power rights of the upper river at Prospect. It installed and developed the Prospect power plant.
    Certain people in Indianapolis then became interested in the extension of the power and organized the Rogue River Electric Company to take over these power holdings.
    Later, through the efforts of Dr. Ray, this company was amalgamated with the Siskiyou Light and Power Company, a California concern operating out of Yreka and invading the Ashland territory. Eventually the California Oregon Power Company was organized and took over all these holdings and extended and developed the power operations to their present magnitude, which is today one of the largest power operations of any power concern on the coast.
    Dr. Ray was a member of the local Masonic orders including the Blue Lodge Boys, Arch Chapter No. 4 at Jacksonville, Knights of Pythias; Woodmen of the World, Medford Lodge No. 1168 B.P.O.E.
Bliss Heine, "Medford News," Central Point American, February 4, 1926, page 3

VOLT GIVES COPCO HISTORY
    How the California-Oregon Power Company came into being is a story of numerous little power companies throughout Southern Oregon and Northern California which were combined to make possible the present Copco system. The last issue of the Volt contains a brief but interesting account of how this all came about, reviewing the early history of the company as follows:
    Obviously, the present is more important to us than the past, for it is what we of today have to deal with--that, and the future. There is, however, generally speaking, more or less interest in beginnings, particularly when they explain how things of the present came to be. On that assumption, the Volt in recent issues tracked back into geological cycles of millions of years ago when volcanoes, glaciers and other forces of nature were creating the land that is today served by Copco and inhabited by its customers.
    Once again we will backtrack, but not far; electrical development in the region, from its beginnings, is now to be reviewed. And, as will be seen, those beginnings and the development of the California-Oregon Power Company are virtually of one piece. Ours is a story of numerous little companies that became one (the California-Oregon Power Company), which was reorganized and became the present Cop-company). How much--or how little--the pioneer plant, systems and their builders had to do with the success of the present company is not to be debated here.
    In California the leading spirits in the organizing of the nucleus of the old company were the Churchills--Jerome P. and Jesse W. Churchill, of Yreka; in Oregon, the Rays--Dr. C. R. and Col. Frank Ray; the Moores, C. S. and R. S. Moore and H. V. Gates. At about the time the Rays were building Gold Ray Dam and the plant on the Rogue River, and organizing the Condor Water and Power Company, the Churchills were building Fall Creek plant in Siskiyou County, and acquiring the Shasta River plant, which had been built by James Quinn in 1891. These activities of the Churchills marked the beginning of the Siskiyou Electric Power Company, which may be considered as the parent of the Copco's Siskiyou Division.
    In 1903 the Churchills' company purchased the Ashland Electric Power and light Company. The plant thus acquired in Ashland was no bargain. Immediately following its purchase, effort was made to bring it up to its utmost efficiency. Also a steam plant was installed to help out during the winter. It was soon realized that the generating equipment could not be made to meet the demands of the rapidly growing city, and it was decided to abandon it. An agreement was entered into with the Rogue River Electric Company, which had taken over the Condor Water and Power Company, to supply the necessary electric current, and a new lighting system was installed. Most of the old lines were torn out and replaced by a new distributing system. This done, the old plant was dismantled and sold, leaving the city of Ashland with a more modern system serving the entire community with light and power.
    During the winter of 1903-1904 a transmission line was completed to Fort Jones and Etna, in Scott Valley, with branches to several active mines. During 1909 fifty-five miles of high tension lines (the present Line 2) were built from Fall Creek to Dunsmuir, where immediate steps were taken to rebuild local lines and improve the light and water service. In this connection the Scherrer Electric Light Company, Mossbrae Falls Water and Power Company and Dunsmuir Water Company properties were acquired; also two plants at Sisson were subsequently acquired and connected up with the growing system. These activities were attended by a reorganization of the Siskiyou Electric Power Company, and its name was changed to Siskiyou Electric Power and Light Company. From Dunsmuir the line was extended south to Castella, and in 1913 the plant of R. E. Cavanaugh of Edgewood was purchased. A small plant on Sulloway Creek was closed down and Edgewood connected with Line 2, as Copco knows it today. Another old line taken over was that of the Mt. Shasta Milling Company plant on Little Shasta River, which had been supplying some power to Montague.
    Meanwhile negotiations had been begun for the purchase of the Klamath Falls Light and Water Company owned by C. S. and R. S. Moore, which deal was consummated in 1911. Follows a brief history of the Klamath Company: It started with a small light plant and water system for Klamath Falls, acquired from H. V. Gates, who, upon its organization, was made president and general manager. In 1905 a new plant was completed, later to be known as the east side plant. C. S. Moore withdrew from this company, associated himself with his brother and in 1907 began construction of a hydroelectric plant on the west side of Link River. It drew on Keno Canal for its water. Transmission lines were extended to various points, including the towns of Merrill and Bonanza, and active competition entered into with the Klamath Falls Light and Power Company. In 1910 the Moores purchased all the holdings of that company, and shortly after the combined holdings were taken over by the Siskiyou Electric Power and Light Company. This latter was taken over the following year by the California-Oregon Power Company. That was in 1911, the year the old Copco was incorporated.
    During the same period of years covered in the preceding notes another electric light and power system was in the making in the Rogue River Valley, and it was destined to become an important part of the present Copco system. This has to do with the activities of the Rays, previously referred to. On Rogue River just below the present bridge at Gold Ray, Dan Condor owned a mine, which property was bought by Dr. Ray in order to get the power site. A dam--the present Gold Ray Dam--was built in 1903, also the power house, and in 1904 the first electricity was transmitted from this plant. Dr. Ray organized the Condor Water and Power Company to operate this enterprise. Lines were constructed to deliver energy to consumers, Gold Hill, Grants Pass and the Ashland Electric Power and Light Company in 1905. This proved too much of a load for the Gold Ray plant, so to cope with demands a plant was built on the Rogue River at Prospect. From Prospect to Gold Ray a line was built in 1911. It was the first 60,000-volt line on the Copco system.
    All property, franchises and contracts of the Condor organization were transferred to the Rogue River Electric Company in 1907, which company became a part of Copco at the same time the Siskiyou Electric Power and Light Company did--when the California-Oregon Power Company was incorporated. Our records give January 1, 1912 as the date of purchase. From that year until 1915 development of what is known as our Rogue River Division included the construction of numerous substations [and] distribution systems and the purchase of others.
    In the foregoing has been listed a major portion of the pioneering work that led to the organization of the California-Oregon Power Company--the old company.
    The radical reorganization of the financial setup of the company in 1920; the construction of Copco One Dam and generating plant, completed in 1916; the raising of this dam and installation of a second unit in 1922; the construction of the new east side plant at Klamath Falls in 1924; the Copco Two plant, placed in operation in 1925; the interconnection contracts made possible through the increased generating capacity of the company; the purchase of the physical properties of the Douglas County Light and Power Company (our Umpqua Division) in 1923--these are among the outstanding features in the Copco of today. To them, and a vast amount of lesser development, is Copco's present prosperous condition largely due. But they do not come under the head of beginnings, as we are considering them here; they belong to a later epoch, and so have been passed by in this narration on the history of the company.
Ashland American, January 14, 1927, page 7


DR. C. R. RAY WILL CASE SCHEDULED FOR FALL TERM
    An amended complaint in the suit of Ina E. Olwell against the executors of the estate of the late Charles R. Ray was filed in the circuit court yesterday. The latest document in the will action recites the same general facts, as outlined in the original complaint, and further sets forth that the alleged contract between Mrs. Olwell and her father, Dr. C. R. Ray, was made in writing in New York, and that the said contract is now in the possession of the executors of the will.
    Mrs. Olwell is suing on a claim for $73,000 against the estate, which the executors disallowed last February. She claims that an agreement was made by herself and father, that in return for her remaining in New York City during the life of Frank H. Ray, she was to receive one-fourth of the bequest to his brother Charles R. Ray. After the death of Col. Ray, she asserts she made a contract with her father, Dr. Ray, that in lieu of one-fourth of the bequest, she would receive $75,000, and that $1000 was paid when the contract was made, in writing, and that another $1000 was paid in allotments of $100 per month. Mrs. Olwell claims that this contract was later turned over to her father, with the understanding that the balance was to be paid when the estate was settled.
    The validity of the contract is one of the main issues in the suit.
    Col. Ray died in New York in 1925, and Dr. Ray died in Los Angeles early in 1926. Both were well-known Southern Oregon residents.
    The trial of the suit will probably be at the fall term, which because all the figures involved are well known, has attracted wide local attention. It was scheduled for the present term of the circuit court, but owing to the early setting of the retrial of the Hugh DeAutremont case, will probably be held over until September.
    The appraisement of the estate of Dr. Ray places its value at $387,028.73. Included in this was $97,722.09 on deposit in New York and San Francisco banks.
    The executors of the will are Frank H. Ray, John S. Orth and attorney T. W. Miles, who are represented in the suit by attorneys Cunningham and Robnett of San Francisco, and Frank DeSouza of this city.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 26, 1927, page 3


FINAL PLEASE HEARD IN RAY CASE
    Arguments by counsel in the Ray estate contest matter were held yesterday before County Judge Alex Sparrow, sitting in probate. Mrs. Ina Olwell, contestant, was represented by attorney T. J. Enright, while the other Ray heirs were represented by attorney Charles Reames.
    The will contest action has lasted many months, and at times has been both sensational and bitter. In the event of an appeal the evidence introduced in lower court deliberations will be offered before the higher court in the form of a transcript.
    Mrs. Olwell seeks to break the will of her mother, Enola R. Ray, on the grounds of incompetency at the time the final will was signed. Mrs. Ray left the bulk of a large estate to other Ray family heirs. By the terms of the will Mrs. Olwell was left one dollar, as was Frank Ray, another heir. The vast part of the estate went to Charles and Mabel Ray, it is said.
    Judge Sparrow will consider the vast amount of testimony, and it is expected to be some time before a verdict is reached, attorneys say.

Medford Daily News, December 10, 1930, page 6


OLD RAY RESIDENCE ON GRAPE ST. RAZED
    Another old landmark is disappearing from the Medford scene today. Work started this morning on the razing of the old Colonel Ray house on North Grape Street, located a short distance from the Farmers and Fruitgrowers Bank. The wrecking is in charge of the fire department, Chief Roy Elliott announced this morning, expressing appreciation of the cooperation extended by Frank Ray, present owner, in making razing of the building possible.
    The frame structure had been cited frequently as a fire hazard, and had been used of late only by roomers.
Medford Mail Tribune, February 21, 1934, page 3

C. R. Ray house, September 1, 1963 Medford Mail Tribune

'The Light House'
By EVA HAMILTON
Mail Tribune Staff Writer
    It is sad to see a once-grand old house going down shingle by shingle, board by board.
    Watching its rafters and beams bared to the world seems almost indecent. It is like glimpsing a once-beautiful actress in a state of deshabille minus her makeup in the early morning light.
    For there is a definite similarity between old houses and former actresses. Each in her time has played many parts. This is so of the old Ray house now being razed at the corner of West Main and Quince sts. in Medford.
    The house was built by Dr. C. R. Ray in about 1907. [It was built in 1908.] It was purchased by the Assembly of God Church in 1950, and it is now going down to make way for a parking lot.
    Howard Commons is directing the razing, and the lumber is to be converted into a business building.
The Story of Light
   
The story of the Ray family is the story of light--the kind that comes on with the pull of a switch--and its advent in the Rogue River Valley. The house, now dark except for the occasional reflection of a shingle fire in one of its many windows as the demolition continues, was once ablaze with light upstairs and down, inside and out.
    It was, with admiration, called "the light house" by many. For Dr. Ray and his brother, Col. Frank H. Ray, built Gold Ray Dam and developed the power company, which is today serving southern Oregon as Pacific Power and Light.
    They used their own product. Even the bathrooms, upstairs and down, were heated as well as illuminated with electric lights. There were eight or 10 rows of lights in the bathrooms and 12 lights to the row to generate heat.
    There were lights in handsome fixtures on the veranda which encircled the front and two sides of the house. There were many lights on the balcony, which was a second-floor replica of the veranda. There was a fireplace heated by electricity. The first electric home heating known to the valley was found in the Ray house.
    Electric power, however, was just one of the many industrial projects brought to the Rogue River Valley by the Rays.
    The dam was built to satisfy a need for power to operate the Ray mines.
    Mining brought the Rays to the Rogue River Valley. Dr. Ray left his practice in Chicago, lured to Alaska by the gold rush. It wasn't what he expected, and he decided to practice medicine in Seattle. He remained there about a year, then with his family decided to return east. His brother, Colonel Ray, convinced him he should stop off in southern Oregon and investigate the mines he had purchased in the Gold Hill area.
Stop Off and Stay
    Dr. Ray and his family stopped off and they stayed. He decided to direct the operation of the mines. Colonel Ray of New York was one of the vice presidents and organizers of the American Tobacco Company and had access to adequate capital for launching the Ray industrial projects.
    Dr. Ray furnished the creativity. He was operating the Braden mine with steam when he got the idea of putting an electric plant in the river. Bonds were sold on the New York market to raise additional capital for the electric plant.
    The stretch of water up the river from Gold Hill, now known as Gold Ray, was chosen as place for the dam when the city of Gold Hill wanted too much money for a site. The Rays, with their daughters Ina and Mabel and sons Frank and Charles, were then living in Gold Hill.
    When installation started, the Rays decided to enlarge the plant and furnish electricity to Medford, Jacksonville, Central Point, Grants Pass and Ashland. The plant was known as Condor Water and Power Company.
Coffer Dams Constructed
    Coffer dams were constructed first, to pull the water away from the area to permit construction of the permanent dam.
    High water and other problems beset the project. Several times the logs of the coffer dam went floating down the river. The project, hiring about 100 men, had to start all over again. Hay was sometimes dumped into the water to slow the washouts, and the investors began to believe the taunts of the people who declared early in the game that the Rogue would never be harnessed.
    Excitement occurred when someone, obviously opposed to the project (and there were many such people), planted dynamite at the dam site. It was found before any damage occurred, and patrols were placed on 24-hour duty. The men were again called off the job when fire broke out in the heavy timber then growing between the dam site and the lower Table Rock. Dr. Ray sent all the workmen to fight the forest fire.
    The late Chase R. Masters of Portland was contractor for installation of the coffer dams. H. C. Stoddard was the electrical engineer, and civil engineer Perm is also remembered for participation in the installation. When the water was cleared from the river bed another opportunity to mine presented itself and Dr. Ray was quick to recognize the potential.
Gold Panned, Sluiced
    Gold was panned and sluiced, and Miss Mabel Ray of Medford remembers well going to visit in the home of Dr. Joseph Hill, operator of Hill's Military Academy in Portland, with a bottle of gold nuggets from the riverbed to show the Hill stepdaughters, who were friends.
    The main dam also was constructed of logs, Charles Ray of the Ray Real Estate and Insurance agency in Medford relates. The logs were bolted down to the bedrock and the spaces were filled with concrete. There were no cement mixers then, and six or seven men would line up with shovels and mix the cement and gravel. Equipment for installation of the plant was taken across the river on barges.
    One unit of the dam was operated with what was called a rope drive, Ray said. When it broke down it was necessary to find a rope splicer quickly.
Extensive Timber Holdings

    The Rays also had extensive timber holdings in southern Oregon, and a sawmill was established in the backwater at Gold Ray to care for this timber. Logs were floated down the river from the Prospect domain and shoved along by boatmen to the log boom.
    After building the power plant at Gold Ray, the Ray interests decided to construct Prospect No. 1 plant, and the new power source was joined with Gold Ray by line 6.
    The Prospect venture was a difficult undertaking. Equipment was hauled from Medford, 45 miles down the valley, by three- and four-horse teams and wagons. There was a 200-foot drop down into the river canyon to negotiate.
    There are still persons in the valley who worked on the project and remember the period as the most exciting one in the industrial development of Jackson County.
Live Near Gold Ray Dam
    The Rays for a number of years lived in a lodge near the Gold Ray Dam, constructed by Colonel Ray as quarters for a hunting and fishing club that never quite materialized. The whole family made trips to Portland and San Francisco for shopping and later for schooling.
    Ina attended St. Helen's Hall in Portland, and Mabel went to Anna Head and to Miss West's in San Francisco.
    It was quite common to flag the train with a lantern at the dam and climb aboard the train. There are those who insinuate that the generosity of the Southern Pacific in this matter was perhaps precipitated by consideration then being given to electrifying the railroads. Anyway, a miniature depot was set up at the dam for the Ray family. Dr. Ray served on a rivers and harbors committee and made frequent trips by train to Washington, D.C.
    In about 1907 the Condor Water and Power Company became known as the Rogue River Electric [It was in November 1907.], which continued to operate in Oregon with a sister organization, so to speak, operated in northern California as Siskiyou Light and Power. It was the merger of the two in 1913 that created the California-Oregon Power Company (Copco), recent predecessor of Pacific Power and Light.
Mine Closed Down
    World War I took its toll from the Ray empire. Colonel Ray was in London when the war broke out. He had the Braden mine closed down and all the machinery taken out.
    It had been "one of the most important mines in Jackson County," according to the Oregon Metal Mines handbook. The mine got its name from Dr. James Braden.
    It was sold to Colonel Ray in 1900, but he continued to call it the Braden mine. In 1907 the mine produced more than $30,000, according to the mineral industries report of the state of Oregon.
    It was the Gold Hill mine, however, about which the fabulous mining tales were told. It was commonly called the Gold Hill pocket, and production reports vary from $400,000 to $500,000.
Brick Plant Included
   
A brick plant at Tolo was another Ray enterprise. The bricks in the Alex Sparrow house on Kirtland Rd., now home of the James Firths, came from the Ray kilns. An electric train was operated to carry clay to the plant. The Ray family often rode on this train and on the electric car, which went down into the Prospect canyon. The Prospect Hotel, now operated by the James Heston Grieves, was Ray property and housed guests from many corners of the nation, brought to southern Oregon by the Rays.
    The family owned 10,000 acres of farm land in the Tolo-Gold Hill vicinity. Some of it was purchased to avoid damage suits which might develop from mining tailings or the overflow of water from the dam region. A 12-inch pipe was installed to carry irrigation water from the dam area to the McDonough farm about 1½ miles away. All the farms continued under the names of the owners from whom Ray purchased the acreages, most of which are now included in the Cal-Ore holdings.
    Also in the Gold Ray Dam area was a granite quarry operated by the Rays. The granite in the Copco building and in the Masonic building, both on Medford's Main St., came from that quarry.
Frequently Recalled Memories
    Trips to the mines are among the most frequently and intentionally recalled memories of Miss Ray and her brother, Charles. There was a French chef at the gold mine, and both Rays remember the festive meals and the table where the family and crew dined. It was a table with a revolving center (lazy Susan style), and its store of fruits and vegetables "turning 'round and 'round" gave a carnival atmosphere to dining, particularly inviting to former Chicago children.
    From Gold Ray, the Rays moved into a rented house where the Hotel Medford now stands, then to a Newtown St. residence while awaiting completion of the West Main St. house.
    A small planer was brought to the site to provide the right finish to the lumber going into the house, which became the family dwelling for many years. Then Dr. Ray died while traveling home from New York. Mrs. Ray lived only three more years.
    Miss Ray, alone, called the place home, but another war soon brought new faces to the house. The first architect-engineers for construction of Camp White and their families rented rooms. The camp was organized and five army couples rented rooms.
Real Estate Office Opened
    A real estate office was opened in the home by H. L. Cook. Miss Ray became a notary public, and the house became polling place for the county precinct. Then it was sold to the Assembly of God Church next door. It was used for various church classes and for wedding receptions.
    Its varied career came to a sudden end this summer when it was sold. It is now being torn down for the lumber that is in it, good solid lumber, sawed and planed in the mills of its original owner.
    It is probably necessary that the old house come down in just the manner it does today. But it would seem more fitting if one of the sonic booms that occasionally makes its windows clatter, as a plane goes over from Kingsley Field, Klamath Falls, could raze it with one final blast.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 1, 1963, page B1




Last revised April 4, 2017