HOME

The Infamous Black Bird Southern Oregon History, Revised


Notes on West Medford

Notes on the development of Medford west of the railroad tracks.  See also my notes on the Hotel Moore and the "Father of the West Side."


OAKLAND*--A MEDFORD SUBURB.
A Place of Beautiful Groves, Fine Homes and Prosperous, Loyal Citizens.
    Last week we made mention of East Medford, in which we described the new improvements and general growth of that portion of Medford. This week we will dwell briefly on another part of Medford that has made astonishing growth in the past year and which is still making rapid strides in the way of improvements.
    The particular part of Medford to which we refer is called Oakland, settled in the southwest part of the city, in the beautiful oak grove on I Street.
    First we come to W. H. Barr's fine brick dwelling, which is situated on the corner of I and 11th streets. The house is a large two-story building, which is surrounded by artistically arranged ground and shaded on all sides by fine large oak trees, which add beauty and picturesqueness and making a home of which anyone might well feel proud and which reflects credit to its owner and the city.
    Adjoining Mr. Barr's place is the home of painter Milton Maule. His house is a very large two-story house and one of the very best in Medford. Running all the way around the house is a ten-foot porch, shaded by trees and shrubbery of all kinds, and the grounds are in keeping with the rest of the place and [it] is indeed a beauty spot. Passing Mr. Maule's residence, we next come to L. Shideler's beautiful home, a home that plainly shows that it is the pride of its owner and a home that bears a mark imbued with the love of the beautiful. It is a two-story house of the most modern pattern, finished to perfection, surrounded in front and on both sides by flower gardens with pathways leading in all directions and, taking all in all, it is a beauty to behold. Next comes merchant F. K. Deuel's home. Mr. Deuel is having built a house something out of the general order and until the house is completed, we will refrain from further mention, but will speak of it more fully after it is completed. The location is a fine one and when fitted up the place will glisten with splendor. Next we cross the street, and come to D. R. Hill's home. Mr. Hill is an extensive fruit grower and while his house is not so large as some, it is a very neat and substantial one and in every way adequate to the needs of himself and happy family. J. H. Stewart is also preparing to erect a fine home on the same tract of land, which will be another notable improvement of Medford, and of which we will speak later. Adjoining Mr. Hill's is the home of L. H. Faucett, which is an exact counterpart of Mr. Shideler's home, and all we have said of Mr. Shideler's residence can be truthfully said of Mr. Faucett's. Here large oaks with their spreading boughs give to the surroundings a pleasant coolness, intermingled with beauty that is indeed inviting. Everything about the place is well kept, and it is not unlike other homes in this locality as regards natural beauty and grandeur. We pass on until we come to attorney J. H. Whitman's home, which adjoins that of Mr. Faucett. This is an ideal home, presided over by an ideal household, surrounded by orchards galore, shaded on all sides by large towering oaks with their many spreading branches and in short a home that would satisfy the most fastidious. We now pass to L. B. Warner's new home, which has recently been completed and which ranks among the best and prettiest in that part of the city. It is a very large two-story house right in amongst the thickest of those lovely oaks which are the pride of the residents of that section and from which it receives its name. Mr. Warner has a fine home and no mistake, but so has Myron Skeel, whose place adjoins Mr. Warner's and which is the last one we will mention in this issue. All we have said of the other fine residences of Oakland can be equally as justifiably said of Myron's, which is saying a good deal, but he is entitled to it--and "he that tilleth the soil shall reap the harvest thereof."
Medford Mail, June 19, 1896, page 8     *The next issue of the Mail (page 5) corrected "Oakland" to "Oakdale."


    L. H. Faucett is having many improvements made to his fine home in Southwest Medford. An addition, in which there will be four rooms, is being built, while there is also being put up sixty feet of porch, on two sides of the main building. N. B. Bradbury has the contract and carpenters W. L. Halley and W. E. Poindexter are doing the work.
"Additional Local," Medford Mail, December 20, 1901, page 6


WEST SIDE NEW BUILDINGS.
    Mr. T. H. Moore is turning himself loose on building construction on the west side, and the plans he has now mapped out, upon which work has actually commenced, will prove a great boost for business in that part of town.
    Last week these columns told that he was to erect a 50x80, two-story brick building on lots he owns adjoining the White-Thomas building. At the time this mention was made arrangements were not advanced far enough to warrant a detailed account. At this time, however, we are prepared to state that this building will positively be erected, as before stated; that it will be 50x80 feet in size; that a 20x80-foot store building will be part of the new structure and that a 30x80 livery stable office and carriage room will be the rest of it. The stables for horses will be at the rear of these buildings, upon lots which Mr. Moore recently purchased from G. W. Bashford. Excavation for the foundation of this building is now being made.
    These are not the only buildings Mr. Moore is going to erect. Across the alley from the building above mentioned he will put up a 42x70-foot building three stories high. The first story will be used as a restaurant and office, while the two upper stories will be made into sleeping apartments. Work on this has already commenced. As a matter of fact this structure is but the commencement of what will eventually be a large three-story hotel on the corner, where in days agone stood the old wooden structure, the "Clarenden" hotel. [The Moore was actually immediately west of the Clarenden site.] This hotel proposition, however, is not definitely determined up, and Mr. Moore is not saying just when it will take shape, but that it will eventually be built, he says, there is no doubt. This much may be said, however, that when built it will be a structure which will do credit to the prominent corner which it will occupy--and there will be a space left at the front for a cool, shady lawn.
Medford Mail, August 4, 1905, page 1


MANY PROJECTS ARE BEING CONSIDERED
FOR THE WEST SIDE
Property Owners Here Are Determined Not To Be Outdone In Enterprise and Improvements--
Numerous Residences Going Up in this City
    When the city of Medford was yet in its embryonic state and the early settler, some twenty years ago, built on faith and pluck, backed by a prophetic judgment which many of them have liked to see amply justified, the most sanguine spirit hardly dreamed of ever seeing such realization as the present generation is living to enjoy. But it was not long before signs of future greatness became evident as the boundless resources of nature were made manifest in the immediate section surrounding the new settlement. And yet these resources lay practically dormant for years, waiting for the hand of industry and development to wrest man's share from Mother Earth.
    When the city of Medford was laid out, it was with the forethought of a growth which years have proved wise. In the present day, however, it would be difficult to say what boundaries could be fixed to be retained for a period of even ten years. As a rule, in a section rich with nature's bounties, the residence part of [a] city is restricted in no particular direction or location. But it is almost invariably the case that the commercial center grows around the nucleus of the first mart of the settlement, unless natural conditions change to the detriment of such locations.
    This held true about Medford up until a few years ago. But as the east side business streets [i.e., east of the railroad tracks] began to fill and locations got more and more scarce, it was found imperative to seek business quarters elsewhere, and as a consequence the west side has become the gainer by several substantial brick blocks, some of which received mentions in yesterday's issue of the Tribune.
   
As the building activity in this part of the city is of comparatively recent origin, a fairer understanding will be arrived at by a brief detailing of a few of the many business buildings projected here. Mr. C. W. Palm intends to erect a one-story brick on his property adjoining the Weeks & Baker furniture store. The plans have been prepared by architect McIntosh, and local contractors are now figuring on the work. The dimensions of this building will be 25x75 feet, and Mr. Palm expects to have it rushed to completion as soon as the contract is let.
    Messrs. Weeks [&] Baker are contemplating the construction of a rather imposing brick edifice to house their steadily growing business. The intend to build on the lot now occupied by their store room and shop, and the adjoining vacant lot, owned by the estate of the late Mrs. Moore. Negotiations for the sale of this piece of ground have practically resulted in its sale to the firm, an order from the probate court to that effect being expected soon. They will have a frontage of 50 feet, with ample space for display of stock. It is their intention to have a first-class, up-to-date building.
    West of them will be erected by Messrs. Palm and Niedermeyer another two-story brick for stores and offices. The plans for this structure have as yet not been completed. It is likely, however, that this building will cover the two lots and thus have a frontage also on G Street. The corner is owned by Mr. Palm alone.
    On the south side of Seventh Street, west of G, Mr. White, the enterprising real estate man, owns ground with 50 feet frontage, on which excavating as far back as 80 feet has already been made. Mr. White expects to put a two-story brick, with stores and an office for himself downstairs, upper story to be fixed for office or living rooms.
    Mr. D. H. Miller, who owns the corner property here, is said also to contemplate the improvement of it.
    Within twelve months most of these improvements will have been accomplished, and some more of which it may not be quite pertinent to speak of as yet. All indications point to the rapid upbuilding of a business section on the west side, necessary to meet the steadily growing demands of the mercantile life of Medford.
    A good-natured rivalry seems to exist among the property owners on both sides of the railroad to see which side can beat the other in improvements. This is a contest to be proud of and which will result in no small benefit to the city.
    In the residence sections of the city there is also considerable bustle and improvement. Over thirty homes are under construction or have just been finished. As with the improvements in the business district, so is work being retarded here owing to lack of material and workmen. It is impossible to get carpenters and painters in sufficient numbers to carry on all the work. This labor famine does not promise to abate very quickly, while California is making unlimited demands for skilled labor.
    With the advertising that Medford is now receiving through various sources, not the least of which is the press, and the earnest and zealous work of the Development League, it is confidently expected that Medford will witness in the next twelve months a greater influx of new people than ever before in her history. It is that we should be ready to receive such homeseekers with all the best that we have to offer in the way of attractive homes and convenient business facilities. Medford in these regards need to take no back seat. The most skeptical may be convinced by a glance at the many advantages offered by our city to the homeseeker that here may his quest be stayed and here cry his "Eureka!"
Medford Daily Tribune, June 30, 1906, page 1


THINGS BOOM ON WEST SIDE.
    Things are pretty lively in the building and improvement line on the west side now, and it will only be a matter of a short time until the old wooden buildings which have stood there so long will be replaced by handsome, modern bricks.
    The foundation is completed and ready for brick on the building C. W. Palm is putting up for Winkler & Martin. This will be 25x70 feet with a handsome pressed-brick front.
    Weeks & Baker, the furniture dealers, are figuring upon the erection of a brick structure  to accommodate their business, but have made no definite plans yet as to the size and arrangement of the building.
    This, with the garage contracted for by C. W. Palm, makes three new buildings in course of construction or under contemplation in that block. Besides these T. H. Moore will build upon his lot next to Weeks & Baker's store, the excavation for which has already been made, if the material is available this season.
    Lack of material is holding back several buildings and preventing the starting of several more this season.
    Besides the buildings 
cement walks are being laid all along both sides of Seventh Street as far as the city park. The walks are all twelve feet in width and will be a much-needed improvement. The walk in front of the park will be the same width as that in front of the school house grounds--eight feet.
    The west side certainly has a business look these times.
Medford Mail, October 5, 1906, page 1


Fine New Residence.
    Bert Anderson, who came here a few months ago from Garden City, Kan., and who is one of the owners of Bungalow addition to Medford, is now having the foundation laid for a very fine dwelling on the north side of West Seventh Street. The foundation will be 36x40 feet in size, and the residence will have nine rooms. It will be built after the bungalow style, only that it will be two stories high. The entire exterior will be shingled; the chimney will be built on the outside and will be of clinker brick. The pillars will also be of the same material. There will be a large basement and the house will be heated with hot air. The cost of the dwelling will be about $5000. This is the price he figures on, but if there is one time more than another when figures are deceptive it is in the construction of a building, and if he is not required to raise his first estimate his will be an exceptional case.
Medford Mail, June 12, 1908, page 5


$100,000 OF NEW BUSINESS BLOCKS
Several Modern Structures Will Go Up on the West Side this Season.
    Medford is to experience the greatest boom of its history in the way of erection of business blocks this coming summer. And all these buildings will be of the modern type, equipped with all the latest wrinkles used in the business world. The day of the ramshackle building in Medford is a thing of the past.
    The west end is where the building will be done. When fall comes, that section of the city will present an almost new front. Sixteen new storerooms are either contracted for and under construction or are about to be let to the contractors.
    Showing the 
scale on which the building is to be done is the fact that the north side of Seventh Street between G and H streets, which at the present time is without buildings, will be built up for its entire length, every building having a modern front and being built of brick. More plate glass will be used in Medford this summer than for several seasons past.
    The buildings going up on Seventh Street between G and H streets, and which will cover that side of the block entire, are: The Palm-Amy-Corey-Orth-Hargreaves [Syndicate] building, which has already been described in The Morning Mail. This building will contain four storerooms and will be modern in every way, including steam heat.
    The contract for the brick for this building was let yesterday to the Medford Brick Company, and the contract for the lumber to be used to the Big Pines Lumber Company. Work will be commenced at once, and construction is to be completed by July 1. The upper floor of the building will be devoted to office rooms.
    Adjoining this building will be one to be built by Dr. C. R. Ray [i.e., the three-story Electric Building]. This will be a two-story brick, modern in every respect, and will make one store room.
    The Episcopal Church will complete the block by constructing a two-story brick business building on its lots adjoining. This building will be 100x62 feet in size, and the lower floor will be cut up into four store rooms. The second floor will be used for offices and a lodging house.
    The church building will be moved back, and made to face H Street, where it will remain until the new stone edifice planned by the Episcopalians is built, the plans for which are already made. [This stone Episcopal church didn't advance any further than the foundation stage.]
    The Garnett wholesale hardware building, which has been already described, to be located on the southwest corner of G and Seventh streets, will make two store rooms. Mr. Garnett will spare no expense in making this building as complete as possible. Eighteen hundred dollars will be expended in fixtures alone.
    On the opposite corner, the northeast, of the same street intersection will stand the Palm and Niedermeyer building, a two-story brick up-to-date structure, which work has already commenced.
    But this is not all the building that will be done on the west side this summer. There are several others planned, some of which are assured, but all the details have not been arranged, and for that reason they cannot be described at this time.
    Some of the buildings talked of are a new wholesale grocery store [i.e., the Medford Grocery Co.], which is to be one of the biggest and best buildings in the city. Other contemplated enterprises are a new hotel [i.e., the Holland] and a new bank building [likely the Farmers and Fruitgrowers Bank, which was to occupy space in the Syndicate Building].
    The best feature of this great addition to Medford's business blocks is that there is a demand for all the space. The owners of the buildings have had more calls for space than they can accommodate already. This shows that the town is keeping pace, and even more, with this great activity in building matters.
Medford Mail, March 12, 1909, page 1
   
   

WEST SIDE GROWING
New Business Blocks Are in Course of Erection.
    The sale of the Moore Hotel block last week and the contemplated expansion of business on the west side has given rise to much interested comment on business activities in that vicinity. The Weeks & McGowan block, which is to be occupied by this firm as an annex to their present quarters, to accommodate their growing furniture business, is rapidly nearing completion. The brickmasons have about finished the walls and immediately a full force of workmen will be putting on the roof, laying floors and making ready for the interior finish.
    In the same block on the south[east] corner, the foundation for the Palm-Niedermeyer building is complete, and material is on the ground to be used in construction work as soon as the cement is sufficiently set.
    Across the street, west, in the lot recently purchased by Delroy Getchell, the excavations are progressing satisfactorily for the erection of a two-story brick, having a frontage of 96 feet on Main Street and being 62 feet deep. E. O. Power is the architect. This is the first of several structures to be built in the near future on this block which, when completed, will make a solid frontage on Seventh of new business locations. The owners of the remaining property are Dr. Ray and the Episcopal Church.
    On the south side of Seventh Street, on the vacant lot across from Mr. Getchell's property, excavations have begun for the wholesale and retail hardware establishment of H. C. Garnett and his associates. This will be one of the largest and best constructed buildings on the street, and will afford ample room for the growth of this enterprise.
    These activities all represent a healthy, normal growth in Medford's population and bespeak increased opportunity in general mercantile lines.
Medford Mail, April 23, 1909, page 1


COMMUNITY FURNACE.
    A community furnace, or heating plant, is the newest new kink for some of the West Main Street new business blocks. A large excavation has been made at the rear of the lot, corner [of] West Main and North Grape streets, upon which a building is to be erected, and in this a large furnace will be built, and from this hot air pipes will be run to all of the syndicate buildings to be built by Messrs. Palm, Orth, Neff and Getchell. Nor will this community hot air stop here. It will be piped underground across Grape Street to the Palm-Niedermeyer building, now being constructed, and used for heating purposes there. And that is not all--the Episcopal Church people may come in and heat their new business block and church with hot air from this same furnace. Medford coal will be used for fuel.
Medford Mail, May 7, 1909, page 5     This plan seems to have been abandoned.



BUILDING GOING ON
Great Activity Prevails on Several Business Blocks
    On Grape Street, near Main, a novelty in the way of house moving is being carried on. The brick residence which was formerly used as a sample room by the Moore Hotel is being dismantled to the extent of having the brick walls and foundation removed, and the roof propped up. A frame wall will take the place of the brick one, and the building will be removed to a vacant lot three blocks south. This is done to make room for a two-story brick building to be erected on the corner by the Garnett-Corey Hardware Company and will be used by them as a wholesale and retail hardware store.
    Across the street work is progressing rapidly on the other buildings. Brick is being laid at a rapid rate on the new Palm-Niedermeyer building, which will soon assume proportions.
    At the Orth & Getchell building, the excavation for which has been going on for some time, the concrete work has commenced and the foundation is being rapidly put down.
    On the Weeks building the floor and partitions are completed, and the lath is on ready for the plaster work.
    Mr. Eubanks has about completed his six-room bungalow on South Central and Ninth streets, the plastering work on the same to be commenced soon. On an adjoining lot another bungalow of the same size will be constructed, the contract already having been let.
Medford Mail, May 14, 1909, page 1


BUILDING ON WEST SIDE
Basement Excavated for Another Large Business Block
    Building activity seems now to be forging a little bit on West Main Street. Three large business blocks have already been erected this season, and Mr. G. L. Schermerhorn has nearly completed the basement excavation for the fourth block--this the Garnett-Corey Hardware Company's building, which will be constructed at once, and which will be three stories high, not including the basement. This will be 50x140 feet in size.
Church Business Block.
    Mr. Schermerhorn has also arranged to commence excavating for the erection of the new Episcopal church business block and church edifice. This new block will have a frontage of 100 feet on West Main Street, and will extend north on Holly Street 70 feet. This will be made into four business store rooms, each with a 25-foot frontage on Main Street. The building will be two stories. At the rear of these and fronting on North Holly, the society will erect its new church. The space there will be 56x100 feet, but it is not expected the church will cover all of this ground.
    Mr. Schermerhorn will commence on the excavation work at once.
Medford Mail, October 1, 1909, page 6


    Fred H. Thompson of Minneapolis has purchased ten acres from James Campbell between King Street and Newtown for $12,500. The land is the north end of the Tuttle orchard, is planted to Newtown and Spitzenburg apples. He will return to Minneapolis to settle his affairs and will return with his family in six weeks to begin the construction of a fine residence and make Medford their home. Mr. Thompson joined the Commercial Club after being in Medford but four hours. He is an old friend of Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Root, whom he has been visiting.
"63,000 Paid for 121 Lots on Nob Hill," Medford Mail Tribune, March 20, 1910, page 1


    Dr. E. B. Pickel pointed out the steady growth of the district to the west of the S.P. track for the last 20 years and endeavored to show that the tendency had always been, and promised to be in the future, for the expansion of the town to be towards the west. Three-fifths of the present population, he said, was now located on that side of the track and prophesied that five years from now would see that proportion grown to five-sixths. Today, he admitted, the center of business was located on the eastern side but averred that in 10 years from now it would be located at a point approximately where the Washington School building now stands. He based his contention on the fact that owners of downtown property upon which buildings are now located will not tear them down to build more modern structures and because of that, he said, the newer and better buildings erected from time to time would be located in the newer section of the business district, namely, on the west side. Ten residences, he added, are now being built on the west side to every one under construction on the east side.
"Federal Site Under Fire," Medford Mail Tribune, January 22, 1911, page 5


BUSY IMPROVING JACKSON HOMES
Now That Street Has Been Graded and Pavement Is Being Laid
Property Owners Are Making Up for Lost Time on Jackson Boulevard.
    Now that the paving of Jackson Boulevard is about to be completed the residents on the street are turning their attention to the beautifying of the grounds about their homes. Many had waited for months for the street to be graded so that cement sidewalks could be put in and lots graded. Now that the street has been graded and pavement laid, the residents are making up for lost time.
    There are several crews of cement sidewalk men at work on the street in front of the various homes, and in addition to this many of the property owners have men at work rounding up terraces about their homes and planting lawns.
    A movement is on foot to have made shade trees planted the entire length of the street of uniform size and variety so that in a few years Jackson Street will be one of the most beautiful in the city.
    The street is to be extended across Bear Creek, the people of the city already having voted the necessary funds to erect a bridge. The street is now laid out to the top of Nob Hill, crossing the entire city without an angle.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 10, 1911, page 6


NEW ADDITION ON HOLLY ST.
South Park Addition Containing 130 Fine Large Lots Now on the Market--
Four Percent Guaranteed on Investment by Present Owners.
    South Park addition bids fair to be the most popular of any to be put on the market this year. It lies just six blocks south of the Presbyterian Church on Holly Street. The paving is in to the very edge of this addition, and over 3000 feet of cement walks are already down on Holly Street, which runs through the eastern part of the addition. The city has been built up to the edge of the north, west and east sides, and in a very short time building will commence in this section.
    There is a building restriction and line limit on each street; all lots are high, sightly and very desirable.
    Think of it--only six blocks from Main Street and ideally located, with South Oakdale Avenue only a few blocks to the west and South Riverside only a few blocks east, both already well improved.
    The owners are putting these lots on the market at very low prices considering their value, and they guarantee the investment for the period of one year. Buy a lot or two or three in South Park addition, and at the end of one year the owners will guarantee you 4 percent on your investment. This means that if you are dissatisfied at the end of one year the owners will return to you the price you paid for your lot together with interest at the rate of 4 percent per annum. Don't wait, but look into this proposition at once, for this block of 130 lots will not last long.
    The owners are C.W . Palm, H. U. Lumsden, C. I. Hutchison and F. W. Hutchison, and you will do well to talk to any one of them about this addition.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 29, 1911, page 8



GRADER STARTS ON JACKSON ST.
Clarke-Henery Construction Company is Off on New Season's Work--
Over $250,000 Yards [sic] of Asphalt to Be Put Down.
    The Clarke-Henery Construction Company started its huge grader at work on Jackson Boulevard this morning, and they are fairly off on the work of completing their contract in this city. The grader is at work today on that section of the street lying between Riverside Avenue and the railroad track. As soon as this stretch is complete the work will be started on the west side of the track and the street graded to the west city limits.
    The city is completing the work of putting in water and sewer stubs on the cross streets and tapping the water mains for property owners who neglected to make connections. The grader will be through with the street early in the coming week, and then the curb and cement basemen will follow.
    A huge camp has been established in the vacant lot just north of the Medford Lumber Company yards, and this will be the base of grading operations this season. The huge plant south of the Medford Grocery Company has been thoroughly overhauled and is in readiness to start this season's mixing.
    The company has still 140,000 yards of paving to lay on the contract let last year. It is estimated that they will lay at least 150,000 yards of new work before fall. Last year the company laid 120,000 yards of asphalt paving, which has proven most satisfactory.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 30, 1911, page 1



MUCH INTEREST IN NEW ADDITION
    New Plan of Owners in Guaranteeing Every Purchaser 4 Percent on Investment
Is Attracting Much Attention Throughout the City.
    The whole town is talking about the wonderful idea that has been presented to the people of this vicinity in the last few days. You can't talk to a real estate man, a private citizen or hardly a person but what they will ask you if you have heard about the new idea of selling real estate. Of course you have heard about it, for most everyone has. Automobiles are busy carrying the prospective buyers out to the new South Park addition. Everyone is anxious to see this addition. It lies at the end of South Holly Street right at the end of the paving and only six blocks from Main Street. The city is built up on three sides, and it will only be a short time until building will go far beyond. It is the highest residence section west of the creek so close to the main business part of the city. A lot in this beautiful section is as sure to advance in value as the city of Medford is to remain on the map.
    You can't lose by investing in lots in South Park addition, for the owners guarantee every purchaser 4 percent on their investment. This means that at the end of the year if you are dissatisfied with your buy you can get your money back with interest at the rate of 4 percent per annum. Very small chance of anyone ever asking for their money back in this section--they will more than likely sell later on for an advance of from 50 to 100 percent increase on their investment. There is a building restriction and a line limit on every lot, and this means that only the better class of residences will be built. For full information see the owners, C. W. Palm, H. U. Lumsden, C. I. Hutchison or F. W. Hutchison.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 31, 1911, page 8


MEDFORD HAS ANOTHER ADDITION
    One of the first-class, close-in new additions to be opened up this spring is the Burdick addition, which has already met with the approval of the city council and [been] formally accepted. The property is situated on West Fourth Street at the end of Ross Court and Summit Avenue, the latter street having been given the right of way along the west line of the property. It will be opened up in the near future to connect with the north end, which is already opened or projected, making a long and beautiful avenue. Hamilton Street will be opened up east and west through this tract, giving every lot frontage on a well-established street.
    The surveying has already been done by L. W. Whiting, and the lots will go on the market at once. The firm of D. H. Jackson and Company have the selling of this addition.
Medford Sun, April 6, 1911, page 6



SOON READY FOR CURBS AND GUTTERS
Clark and Henery Making Headway on West Jackson Street Grade--
Paving to Follow
    By next Monday the Clark and Henery Construction Company will commence laying curbs and gutters on West Jackson Street, and it will not be long after that until the first layer of the paving will go down.
    The grading of the section east of the railway has been completed, and the company's teams are now at work west of the track and will be strung out from the right-of-way to the western city limits.
    Manager A. W. Clark reports that the rain of a few days since delayed the work of grading, catching his outfit over a barrel for the time being, but the work is going along nicely now and there will hardly be a similar delay hereafter.
Medford Sun, April 7, 1911, page 1


WEST JACKSON IS BEING BLASTED
    The Clark and Henery company's graders preparing for the paving of Jackson Street have completed all of the grading that can be done until the hardpan is blasted out at the west end of the street. The powder men are now at work preparing for the grading which is to follow.
    The curbs and gutters are in for the portion that is already graded, which work also must pause for the present on the western portion of the street.
    The company is also grading Sixth and Bartlett streets, which will be the next streets paved after Jackson.
Medford Sun, April 22, 1911, page 1


BUSY IMPROVING JACKSON BOULEVARD HOMES
    Now that the paving of Jackson Boulevard is about to be completed, the residents on the street are turning their attention to the beautifying of the grounds about their homes. Many had waited for many months for the street to be graded so that cement sidewalks could be put in and lots graded. Now that the streets have been graded and pavement laid, the residents are making up for lost time.
    There are several crews of cement sidewalk men at work on the street in front of the various homes, and in addition to this many of the property owners have men at work rounding up terraces about their homes and planting lawns.
    A movement is on foot to have made shade trees planted the entire length of the street of uniform size and variety so that in a few years Jackson Street will be one of the most beautiful in the city.
    The street is to be extended across Bear Creek, the people of the city already having voted the necessary funds to erect a bridge. The street is now laid out to the top of Nob Hill, crossing the entire city without an angle.
Medford Mail Tribune, May 11, 1911, page 3


    H. E. Gates and family have moved from Wyoming and have leased C. Burgess' place on Rose Avenue and intend to make Medford their home.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail Tribune, November 6, 1911, page 2



    G. Gates, of Cheyenne, Wyo., who has been in Medford with his family for a few weeks, has purchased a number of residence lots in West Medford and is now having plans made for the erection of several fine bungalows. The lots, ten in number, were purchased from Charles Burgess. Seven of these are on Rose Avenue, and three of them are on West Main Street.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail Tribune, November 10, 1911, page 2



J. B. CARPENTER BUYS HOME
ILLINOIS MAN PURCHASES RESIDENCE OF J. B. WRIGHT
Newcomer Greatly Pleased with Medford and Will Bring His Family
    John B. Carpenter of Dixon, Ill., has purchased the beautiful home of J. B. Wright at 516 South Grape Street. Mr. Carpenter has been here but a short time and is so well pleased with the climate and the activity of Medford that he has decided to settle here.
    The sale was made by Thomas H. E. Hathaway. The price paid was $3000.
Medford Mail Tribune weekly, January 28, 1912, page 1


NEW HOMES ARE BEING ERECTED
    The Medford Realty and Improvement Company, Chas. S. Lebo, manager, has one six-room bungalow on Jackson Boulevard nearly completed, and the concrete foundation for another one is in and ready for the carpenters to lay the sills. A third bungalow will be started next week.
    This company owns fourteen lots on Jackson Boulevard, west from the new school building, and upon each of these they will build a bungalow this spring and summer. A cement sidewalk will be put in next week in front of all the lots, and the work of putting up the buildings will be pushed along as rapidly as possible until the whole fourteen are finished. These bungalows will be offered for sale as fast as completed. Last season the company built and sold twelve dwellings in this city.
Medford Mail Tribune, March 16, 1912, page 4



    Richard Vermeer, who owns several resident lots and considerable acreage which he will later plat into city lots on Jackson Boulevard, is right now putting the finishing touches on a fine two-story residence just east from the Jackson School [at 516 West Jackson]. The residence is bungalow in design, that is, the bungalow effect is brought out both on the outside and inside finish, while at the same time it is a large dwelling with eight large rooms, and to these are added all the modern conveniences which make for bungalow coziness. There are two large screen porches below and a large screened-in sleeping porch on the second floor. Mr. Vermeer is himself a carpenter and is doing all the woodwork on the building.
"Local and Personal," Medford Mail Tribune, December 13, 1912, page 5


Jackson Street a Fine Boulevard
    With the completion of Jackson Street bridge will follow a great activity to make Jackson Medford's most beautiful boulevard. Last year the city council ordered cement sidewalks on the south side of West Jackson Street from the city limits to Riverside, and there will without doubt be another resolution for sidewalks along the entire street.
    Jackson Boulevard is the only street running east and west through the city without a break or turn, and is from 60 to 200 feet higher than the center of the city.
    The Medford Realty & Improvement Company have already built six beautiful bungalows on the west end at Summit and will complete eight more during the coming summer. Jackson School is also at Summit, opposite the Medford Realty & Improvement Company's property and is one of the finest school buildings in Southern Oregon.
    The Jackson Boulevard Improvement Association is being organized by the property owners along and adjoining the boulevard, and with the cooperation of the city council, the Greater Medford Club and such other organizations as have for the object the making of a "City Beautiful," great progress is predicted.
Excerpt, Medford Mail Tribune, January 1, 1913, page 3


THIEF OWN BOOKKEEPER
Young Man Makes Full Confession and Officers Recover Loot.
    MEDFORD, Or., Feb. 6,--(Special.)--A new wrinkle in criminal annals, in which a burglar systematically kept books on what he stole and what he expected to steal has been unearthed by the local police force in the capture of Frank Kelly, a young man of 23, who has resided some time on West Eleventh Street.
    Kelly after his capture made a full confession, and produced his "books." A list of all he has stolen, together with the dates on which he broke into the places, was found. Opposite the list is the price of each. At his home at 710 West Eleventh Street, the officers found more than two wagonloads of loot.
    Kelly's list of stolen articles, is unique. It looks like a bill for groceries and is very complete. He has "accounts" with Warner, Wortman & Gore, B.&C. Cash Store, [the] public library, where he stole oil, Big Pines Lumber Company and a lumber of orchard companies in the valley.
Morning Oregonian, Portland, February 7, 1913, page 2



NOISY CHARIVARI DISTURBS PEACE OF NEIGHBORHOOD
    Friends and acquaintances of Miss Maude Bratney and Scott Beghtol of Omaha, Neb. gave them an old-fashioned charivari when they were married at the home of the bride's mother on West Fourteenth Street on Wednesday night. Guns were shot off, horns tooted, cowbells rung and tin pans beaten, until residents of that section thought a premature celebration of the opening of the Panama Canal was being held. The noise subsided when the groom appeared and paid the customary tribute to the noisy delegation.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 10, 1913, page 3



TWO NEW BUNGALOWS ON SOUTH HOLLY
    The third block on South Holly Street is to have two more new bungalows, work on one of which has already started. Mr. and Mrs. Carl Bowman purchased of C. W. Palm the second lot south of 9th Street and have begun work on a five-room modern bungalow and will push it to completion.
    Henry Callahan has purchased the lot just north of Mr. Bowman's from Mr. Palm, is having plans drawn for a five-room modern bungalow and will start work on the same in a few days.
    This is one of the pretty residence streets of Medford, and these new bungalows will add much to the appearance of that block.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 1, 1921, page 6


NEW BUILDING BOOM IN CITY IS UNDER WAY
    The construction of new buildings, particularly residences, has received a decided stimulus in the past few weeks as is evident from the number of new homes now being erected and from the number of plans for construction and remodeling now under consideration.
    Among the new residences under construction at the present time are the C. I. Hutchison place on the corner of West Main and Ross Court which, when finished, will be one of the finest residences in the city; the bungalows under construction by Carl Bowman and Henry Callahan on South Holly Street, which promise to be very attractive and modern homes; and the new home of Estes Rankin on Kings Highway north of Oak Lodge, now in the process of erection.
    Plans under consideration and upon which operations will begin soon include the construction by John M. Root on the corner of Orange and West Main streets of two buildings, one to be a combination apartment and store building and the other which will front on Orange Street, an attractive and up-to-date bungalow.
    It is also understood that J. F. Hale, who recently purchased the Stewart Block, will make over the upper floor into apartments and that plans are now under way for this reconstruction.
    In addition to these projects the Colonial Garage on Sixth Street at the corner of Ivy is now nearing completion. The building is a reinforced concrete structure 80x100 and will be large enough to house a half a hundred cars on its concrete floor. This building is being built by Ira Schuler and "Jerry" Jerome.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 24, 1921, page 1


START BUILDING 50 HOUSES HERE
    R. J. Miller and R. S. Murray have started a building program of 40 or 50 houses in the South Park addition on South Ivy Street. These homes will be for sale or rent.
    Streets will be paved and water and sewer will be carried along with the buildings. They intend, after thirty days, to be able to release a house each day.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 12, 1924, page 5


START BUILDING NEW STORES ON NORTH GRAPE ST.
    Marking the first business structure to be erected on North Grape Street this year, activities commenced today on a $10,000 reinforced concrete double store building, which is expected to be completed within 60 days. It will have two store rooms, each 25 by 100 feet, and will be placed for rent or sale by the owner, W. E. Thomas. The contract is held by H. E. Goodhue of this city, who will push the work.
Medford Mail Tribune, October 7, 1926, page 3


MEDFORD WILL OBSERVE BETTER HOMES PROGRAM
    All is in readiness for the Better Homes in America Week, which will be observed in Medford April 26 to May 1, with receptions to visitors to the demonstration house at 20 North Peach Street, from three to five and seven to nine o'clock daily, and with a series of lectures given afternoons and evenings at the Methodist Episcopal Church by experts in all lines of home furnishings and home making.
    Aside from the novelty of viewing a home completely furnished and equipped with the best the local firms have to offer at the lowest possible expenditure, there will be much to profit by in the way of example, for all furnishings and their prices will be listed, to assist in budget compilings or for the purchase of individual pieces.
    Previous publicity has acquainted news readers with the purposes and methods of the Better Homes movement, although more than appears on the surface is the idealistic animus, set forth in the following words of President Coolidge: "The American home is the foundation of our national and individual well-being. Its steady improvement is, at the same time, a test of our civilization and of our ideals. The Better Homes in America movement provides a channel through which men and women in each community can encourage the building, ornamenting and owning of private homes by the people at large. We need attractive, worthy, permanent homes that lighten the burden of housekeeping. We need homes in which home life can reach its finest levels, and in which can be reared happy children and upright citizens. I commend participation in Better Homes demonstrations and in the other work of the movement to the American people."
    While communities surrounding Medford will have special days for visiting the demonstration house, any and all interested persons are welcome during any reception hour. There is no cost for either viewing the home or for the lectures, the financing having been handled through Medford business firms, who are also loaning the necessary furnishings and equipment.
    Remember, a cordial welcome awaits you, and that the untiring efforts of all concerned with the campaign have been only for the purpose of education, by these well-planned measures, the means wherewith a finer type of home and family life can be secured.
Ashland Daily Tidings, April 24, 1926, page 3



PLANE CYLINDER DROPS OF HOME OF POSTMASTER
    With a cylinder falling 2000 feet from the engine of the monocoupe he was piloting shortly after 6 o'clock last evening, Aubrey Sander of this city successfully landed the small plane in Chris Gottlieb's wheat field southwest of Medford, without injury to himself or passenger.
    The cylinder whistled down to nick the roof of the home of postmaster Frank DeSouza, 324 South Orange Street, just outside the front window. Martha DeSouza, sitting near the window, heard the noise, and seeing the smoking object in the ground, thought someone had thrown a bomb at the house.
    Only the landing gear, damaged when the cylinder fell from the motor, was broken on the ship. Sander glided down to the field after the motor stopped in mid-air.
    The name of Sander's passenger could not be learned today, but was said to be a man employed at the Sander ranch. The plane was dismantled this morning and returned to the hangar at the Sander place.
Medford Mail Tribune, April 5, 1934, page 1


Remodeling Work to Be Finished in Three Weeks
    Work is progressing rapidly on the remodeling of the house at 1506 West Main Street, in line with the federal modernizing campaign, according to Mr. Fletcher, manager of the Jackson County Building and Loan Association, owners of the property.
    Mr. Fletcher says interest is increasing in the project, and many home owners are visiting the house, which is open for inspection. The plans call for completion of the work in three weeks. All work is being done by local labor, and local firms will install fixtures and furnishings. The house was old and in a very bad condition and a complete cost of the remodeling has been kept and will be available as soon as the work is finished.
Medford Mail Tribune, September 2, 1934, page 4



SEEK PAVING OF SOUTH HOLLY
    Application for the paving of South Holly Street, from the end of the present paving to the south line of Block 10, a distance of about 490 feet, was reviewed by the city council this week.
    Estimated cost of the paving would be $4.58 per front foot. Assessed value of the property and improvements is $13,820, according to a report submitted by Fred Scheffel, city engineer.
    About 74 percent of the property is represented by signers of the petitions, the remaining landowners being opposed to the paving.
Medford News, August 21, 1936, page 1



Last revised January 13, 2015